Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Warranties for PC components

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Warranties for PC components

Postby HEAT84 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:15 pm

Is it a good idea? I've never done it before. I've (luckily I guess) naver had anything break (at least during what the warranty period would be).

Is any of this stuff worth warrantying?
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Re: Warranties for PC components

Postby Fartingbob » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:29 pm

Personally i wouldn't on those items. Generally manufactuer warranties for most components will be long enough that when it runs out you'll probably want to upgrade. Hell in a few years if they break you could probably pick up the same component for less than the cost of the original warranty.
On more expensive stuff then it may be worth it if you dont think you'll be upgrading them again within 2 or 3 years.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby edgebilliards » Fri Apr 25, 2008 3:45 pm

it probably isn't the case with newegg, but best buy, circuit city, and the like all make 45-60% of their income off of people buying useless extended warranties. The money is pure profit for them. I'm not sure if that was your question, but that was my 2cent rant.
edgebilliards

Postby shevaberg » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:33 pm

Extdened Warrenties are a joke..

If it is electronic - it usaly will break within 3 months of plugging the thing in...
The only extended warrenty I bought was for a CD player.. that was 14 years years.. still works...

I had a VCR dropped on ashphlat... still works... barley... but 17 years later
Sarcasm...not to be used on stupid people....
shevaberg

Postby Paladwyn » Fri Apr 25, 2008 4:38 pm

From having a computer store and dealing with warranties... 1 year is long enough for everything EXCEPT hard drives.

It is true most of your electronic components with either break down within a couple months, or last 6 years...of course depending on situations. A lightning strike or power brownouts/surges can ruin anybody's day. To have more than 1 year it just isn't worth it all that much...you will be upgrading past that, usually...depending...

The only excpetion is Hard drives, they wear out...and you never know when, even an 80GB hard drive is still worth 80GB 6 years down the road. Most HD's are 3 years, some up to 5 anyways.
Don't roll your chair backwards, you might run over my foot.
Paladwyn

Postby Golgo1 » Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:27 pm

I agree that MOST of the time you should tell them to shove their extended warranty, butI have to admit that the BestBuy and FutureShop warranty have come in handy a few times on laptops

I've seen two laptops completely replaced and one serviced with completely new HD.. TWICE. All completely free (except the hassle of waiting for the servicing)
I found it was also good to get the warranty if it's a major chain, and you travel alot because it's SUPPOSED to be nation-wide coverage. (Best Buy has been quite good so far) Laptops are probably the most abused 'big ticket' item you could buy and getting them serviced back at the store is EXPENSIVE...
I also like that if the plan is for 3 years and it totally dies at 2 1/2, you get a free replacement... and because they probably dont have your model anymore, you get a newer model ;) That's a good deal.

I would also like to state for the record that all POS laptops that borked were Sony VAIOs

The moral of my story is,
1 - I dont mind paying for a laptop warranty, everything else is a ripoff
2 - You're a damn fool if you buy any SONY crap to begin with
3 - Sazzleberries taste like Snazzleberries
Am I the ONLY one who remembers that video KILLED the radio star?
There are two kinds of people in this world: people who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Golgo1

Postby scifirules » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:11 am

Been building and working on computers for 10 years I have seen 2 cpu failures unrelated to over voltage or fan failure. Ram can go bad but at todays prices the only things I worry on warranty for are high end video cards (im a EVGA guy myself) and hard drives. Hard drives argg... thats why I got online to post tonight so I could rant about Western Digital. I do have say while I do have favorites on hardware based on past experiences for me WD and Seagate are my favorites but as far as support WD really ticks me off. They are very hard to contact if there are any issues other than needing a RMA number. I have a feeling I am S.O.L. on the last 2 drives I sent in as they seem to have lost them. Motherboards are the second most failed item but unless its in the warranty period of the vendor i.e. 30 days I would discount this as every time I have ever sent one in it has turned out to be a 6 to 10 week wait. And fully half the time the replacement is defective. I you could get a warranty on motherboards that was like Neweggs old system then I would say yes but as it stands today its just not worth it for desktops. Laptops however, I would get the cheapest that worked for me and sell it before the end of every warranty period and buy a new one instead.Or buy one using Dell or somewhere that had the drop warranty.
scifirules

Postby CompMacBookDude » Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:16 am

Having worked at a high end retail store, GET THE WARRANTY ON THE VIDEO CARD!, they usually offer 2 year replacements, so what you do is when the two years is comin up, throw ur vid card in the microwave for like 2 seconds, take it back for store credit and BOOM brand new video card, I did this for years, still doing it
CompMacBookDude

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion