Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

BSOD, 0x7E, VSS error, corrupted drivers, WTF?!

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

BSOD, 0x7E, VSS error, corrupted drivers, WTF?!

Postby CrackHead2 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:32 pm

Hey all.

OK, here's the problem, or rather how it seems to have developed, sorry for the novel, I figure the more details the easier it is to get to the root of the problem.

If you recall, I recently had a major hassle getting my new graphics card to work, I finally got it sorted thanks to a very helpful poster here and what's more, it turns out I had acquired a card that actually had twice as much RAM as it should, a very welcome "accident" as far as I'm concerned. :)

Anyway, I was pretty pleased about this and decided I'd take extra special care of this blessed card, so much so that I removed the side panel on my computer case to maximize air flow and keep my darling cool and comfortable. But this turned out to be a mistake as only 2 days later I started to experience sudden shutdowns, just like Ronnie B. The error message at boot-up said something about "thermal event" and "CPU."

I did a little Googling and realized all I'd done by removing the side panel was allow more dust than usual in, which had gummed up the works and caused the system to overheat. So I got down on my knees and I huffed and I puffed and I blew all that dust away, booted up and experienced no further shutdowns, everything was running smoothly again.

Until this past Wednesday: that morning I pressed the ON button as I have endless times before but instead of starting up like normally the drive turned off after literally a quarter of a second, it barely made 1 revolution. My first thought was "oh dear, the hard drive has kicked the bucket," which wouldn't be such a catastrophe seeing as I'd done a full system back-up just 2 days earlier. But still, it's a pain in the ass, right?

Anway, turns out the drive was still functional, I tried ON again and it started up just fine.....only to suddenly switch off soon after loading Desktop. I tried it again, same thing. My first thought was obviously "Dust!" So I got out a can of compressed air and went to work and managed to expel an impressive amount of dust from the CPU fan and heatsink, GFX card fan and primary fan, as well as other layers elsewhere.

Booted up, everything seemed fine......then another sudden shutdown, this time several seconds into loading! WTF?! I cracked open the case AGAIN and dusted AGAIN, then booted up. And this is where it starts to get interesting.

Namely, my system is configured to run CHKDSK after every improper shutdown, to check for "consistency" and all that, and this time was no different, only now something unusual happened. You know how as it's checking it displays the percentage of scan completion? It usually takes my system about 3-5 minutes to go from 0-100% But at this particular instance it went from 0-100% in 3 seconds....and then started scanning again.....done in 3 seconds---started again...and again....and again....going around in circles until finally it got back on track and did a proper scan, here is the log:

Code: Select all
Event Type:   Information
Event Source:   Winlogon
Event Category:   None
Event ID:   1001
Date:      10.4.2008
Time:      11:32:56
User:      N/A
Computer:   **************************
Description:
Checking file system on C:
The type of the file system is FAT32.

One of your disks needs to be checked for consistency. You
may cancel the disk check, but it is strongly recommended
that you continue.
Windows will now check the disk.                         
Volume Serial Number is 173E-1800
\Program Files\Prevx1\.lclbrk.cache is cross-linked on allocation unit 21991.
Cross link resolved by copying.
\Documents and Settings\PC\Application Data\Creative\Disc Detector\Mediadet.log is cross-linked on allocation unit 917569.
\Documents and Settings\PC\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Credentials\S-1-5-21-1177238915-1004336348-725345543-1003\Credentials  first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
\WINDOWS\system32\vsconfig.xml  first allocation unit is not valid. The entry will be truncated.
\WINDOWS\system32\config\system.LOG is cross-linked on allocation unit 21982.
Convert lost chains to files (Y/N)? Yes
384 KB in 8 recovered files.
Windows has made corrections to the file system.
     23202544 KB total disk space.
       559120 KB in 1321 hidden files.
       193488 KB in 11861 folders.
     14785424 KB in 125815 files.
      7664496 KB are available.

16384 bytes in each allocation unit.
      1450159 total allocation units on disk.
       479031 allocation units available on disk.

It rebooted and everything seemed fine, I played a few games and did some work, it was on for about 5.5 hours, running smoothly. Then I noticed that the drag-and-drop function wasn't working in taskbar i.e. drag a file from folder to another open folder via taskbar, it'd just display a black "forbidden" symbol. I figured a simple reboot would sort this out so I restarted the computer. And so began my woes....:(

Right after the loading Windows" sequence when Desktop should begin loading I got the dreaded BSOD!!! Included was this STOP message:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0x0000005, 0xEEDDA4D0, 0xF7C7DFEC, 0xF7C7DFEC)

:o :shock: :? :tinfoilhat:

I rebooted several times and kept and still keep getting this BSOD. However, I can get into Windows perfectly fine in Safe Mode, no shutdowns whatsoever.

I checked at the Microsoft support site and it seems to me that a corrupted driver is the most likely culprit, I figure something went bad after the most recent improper shutdown during boot-up when CHKDSK had to fix some errors, tho that doesn't explain how I managed to have a functional system right after the scan, it only went south after I restarted in an effort to resolve the drag-and-drop issue, yet it's the only thing that makes sense to me.

I checked the event error logs and these are the ones that appear at every boot up:

I was directed here and tried to install SyncBackSE, I got this right after finalizing the (attempted) install:

And yes, I tried reinstalling several times, no go.

Then I tried running this batch file, it didn't do anything either.

Then I checked the COM+ settings in Services and set em both to AUTOMATIC (they were set to MANUAL). Nothing.

I was thinking about simply replacing the entire system32/drivers folder with the back-up from Monday but I wanted to check with you guys first, do you think that might work? I dunno what else to try, my last resort would be overwriting the entire C drive with Monday's back up, but I'd like to try everything else first.

Help? :?
CrackHead2

Re: BSOD, 0x7E, VSS error, corrupted drivers, WTF?!

Postby HalOfBorg » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:24 pm

No system should get dusty so fast that opening the case for 2 days clogs fans/heatsinks - unless it is operating under ground - as in BURIED. I have had leaving my case open cause CPU to run slightly warmer - changed the airflow.

You said you tried re-installing several times. If by this you mean reinstalling Windows - boot from CD and all that - then you don't have a DRIVER issue - unless it dies after you install driver 'X' each time, but then you'd know what the problem was. If it dies after a fresh install - it's HARDWARE. Might be something as simple as a bad IDE/SATA cable. Or a powersupply going bad.

When you get a BSOD, look for the name of the file it says has the problem - assuming it lists one. That has let me solve all my BSOD issues. Like it lists an error with a file that google showed was part of my video drivers.
Help HalOfBorg fight his cancer: http://www.gofundme.com/21ygdk

We are The Borg.
Lower your weapons. Disarm your explosives.
Your spawn will adapt to service Us.
Resistance is futile.
HalOfBorg

Postby CrackHead2 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 5:40 pm

No system should get dusty so fast that opening the case for 2 days clogs fans/heatsinks - unless it is operating under ground - as in BURIED.

Well, the house I live in seems to generate inordinate amounts of dust, it's pretty trippy, I dusted my desk on Tuesday, there's already a nice layer on my speakers, lol.
You said you tried re-installing several times. If by this you mean reinstalling Windows

No, I meant the SyncBackSE app, see above. And even if I wanted to only God knows where the bloody CD is!
If it dies after a fresh install - it's HARDWARE. Might be something as simple as a bad IDE/SATA cable. Or a powersupply going bad.

Well, wouldn't that make Safe Mode inaccessible as well? I don't have any crashes or otherwise unpleasant incidents in Safe Mode, obviously because certain (corrupted?) drivers have been blocked.
When you get a BSOD, look for the name of the file it says has the problem - assuming it lists one. That has let me solve all my BSOD issues. Like it lists an error with a file that google showed was part of my video drivers.

Only thing it lists is the STOP message and 0x7E error code.
CrackHead2

Postby IneptVagrant » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:01 am

My best guess atm..

boot to safe mode, uninstall zone-alarm, delete \WINDOWS\system32\vsconfig.xml (make sure it is deleted)

boot to normal, reinstasll zone-alarm

I would just reinstall my OS
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby thejynxed » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:22 am

The Volume Shadow Copy Service and SynchBack.exe are your system backup tools failing. It's not well-known by people that programs like Norton Ghost, etc use VSC as their underpinning to create disk images and other backups. You have to reinstall your operating system OR, get to Safe Mode and uninstall your disk imaging software, and then manually reinstall the Volume Shadow Copy Service from your Windows installation media if the computer will stay booted that long.

It's a catastrophic failure - what is happening is that the service itself is corrupted, and it's causing a domino effect - in essence, locking up your hard disk controller and CPU into a constant looped "read" state. Windows fails to continue starting and throws up the Stop Error before shutting down the system as a protection measure to prevent the hard drive controller circuit from burning out or the CPU from overheating from being locked.

I'd highly suggest a fresh install, and then restore your data from there, do NOT use an image to restore the entire operating system. Restore data like game saves, pictures, and whatnot only - or else you will just have the same issue. Yes, a headache of reinstalling and reconfiguring applications as well, but, I strongly suspect that your disk images are corrupt anyhow because of this.

Some other interesting tidbits - the Com+ Services error that you pictured usually means that something changed the Permissions for the COM+ Catalog and that COM+ can no longer read/access the catalog. Read the following sites: http://blogs.msdn.com/tolong/archive/20 ... ssing.aspx http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909444 for more information.

One question: Did you try a Repair Install of Windows or a System Restore?
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Postby CrackHead2 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:36 pm

IneptVagrant wrote:My best guess atm..

boot to safe mode, uninstall zone-alarm, delete \WINDOWS\system32\vsconfig.xml (make sure it is deleted)

Specifically ZA? How come, I've never had any issues with it before.....but if you say so, I'll try it.
IneptVagrant wrote:I would just reinstall my OS

Yeah, I would too if I knew where the bloody disc is, I guess I'll just have to download a copy, sorry Bill. :pirate:
thejynxed wrote:SynchBack.exe

I don't actually have it installed, I tried to but it simply wouldn't take.
thejynxed wrote:It's not well-known by people that programs like Norton Ghost, etc use VSC as their underpinning to create disk images and other backups.

I use Acronis True Image 11, never had any issues before.
thejynxed wrote:You have to reinstall your operating system OR, get to Safe Mode and uninstall your disk imaging software, and then manually reinstall the Volume Shadow Copy Service from your Windows installation media if the computer will stay booted that long.

Well that sounds doable, I just need to get my hands on an XP installation disc.
Would it be OK to reinstall Acronis again later?
thejynxed wrote:Windows fails to continue starting and throws up the Stop Error before shutting down the system as a protection measure to prevent the hard drive controller circuit from burning out or the CPU from overheating from being locked.

But I'm not experiencing any more shutdowns, not since I dusted, I don't think the shutdown problem was software related.
thejynxed wrote:I'd highly suggest a fresh install, and then restore your data from there, do NOT use an image to restore the entire operating system. Restore data like game saves, pictures, and whatnot only - or else you will just have the same issue. Yes, a headache of reinstalling and reconfiguring applications as well, but, I strongly suspect that your disk images are corrupt anyhow because of this.

But if the corruption occurred due to the recent series of improper and badly-timed shutdowns (Wednesday onwards) then how would a back-up performed 2 days before (Monday) also be corrupt?
thejynxed wrote:One question: Did you try a Repair Install of Windows or a System Restore?

No disc yet to do a Repair Install.

A System Restore was the first thing I tried actually, it wouldn't take after multiple attempts, "No Changes Have Been Made."
CrackHead2

Postby CrackHead2 » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:03 pm

IneptVagrant wrote:My best guess atm..

boot to normal, reinstasll zone-alarm

You, sir, are a damn genius, I uninstalled ZA and when I rebooted the BSOD was gone, gone gone! :toast:

However, when I went to delete vsconfig.xml in system32 it wasn't even there, I figure it did a Jimmy Hoffa during one of them shutdowns.

But my problems aren't over yet, it seems some functions haven't yet recovered, first one was the graphics card driver, I had to reinstall that (and bloody Catalyst as well, I'mma uninstall that once everything else is sorted). Here are the rest, I get em right after Desktop loads:

I downloaded and burned XP Pro to disc but it isn't being utilized during boot, it goes straight to Desktop as per usual. The disc itself is fine, I can explore it and install from within Windows but not at boot, you think it has something to do with my Disc Detector issue? Oddly enough tho the CD-Drive works just fine, I installed the ATI driver card from CD.......

:?
CrackHead2

Postby LordOfThePigs » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:43 pm

That sounds really, really messed up. I think it's really time for you to format your system drive and reinstall a fresh windows. A do it on an NTFS partition, not a FAT32 one.

Since FAT32 is not a journaling filesystem, it can get seriously screwed very easily by the kind of unexpected shutdown that you experienced. If one of these shutdowns happens in the middle of a time when your OS is writing to the hard drive, the chances of your FAT32 filesystem to be corrupted are pretty high. chkdsk is nice, but it doesn't uncorrupt your filesystem, merely makes is consistent again. Depending on what got corrupted, you can be really, really screwed. NTFS has journaling, so it is much harder to screw up.

If you can't launch the install from the XP cd, try changing the boot order from your BIOS, and make sure that the CD drive is checked before your main hard drive.
LordOfThePigs

Postby IneptVagrant » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:08 am

Reseting the password for the user account "PC" should solve the rest of those errors.

Again, my best guess, is all those progs are failing to authenticate properly to the OS when accessing files belonging to user "PC"

If we look at your chkdsk log, we see two files were truncated. \WINDOWS\system32\vsconfig.xml, which a little research shows is connected with zone-alarm. Hence reinstall ZA and ensure that file gets deleted. And the 2nd is \Documents and Settings\PC\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Credentials\S-1-5-21-1177238915-1004336348-725345543-1003\Credentials, which contains the encrypted password and account information for the user "PC", so try reseting the password.
IneptVagrant

Postby CrackHead2 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:03 am

LordOfThePigs wrote:I think it's really time for you to format your system drive and reinstall a fresh windows. A do it on an NTFS partition, not a FAT32 one.

I suppose that would mean all my settings and installed apps would be history?
LordOfThePigs wrote:If you can't launch the install from the XP cd, try changing the boot order from your BIOS, and make sure that the CD drive is checked before your main hard drive.

Is this it, it's under BOOT SETUP UTILITY:

1st Boot Device - [Removable Dev.]
2nd Boot Device - [Hard Drive]
3rd Boot Device - [ATAPI CD-ROM]

I assume I need to set CD-ROM to first, right?
IneptVagrant wrote:Reseting the password for the user account "PC" should solve the rest of those errors.

Hmmmm, how would I go about doing that, I don't even have a password for this machine, nobody else but me uses it.
CrackHead2

Postby CrackHead2 » Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:11 pm

OK, I seem to have sorted things out pretty much, I did a System Restore to Tuesday evening (hours before the shutdowns started) and am pretty much operational again, tho some settings still need to be tweaked back to their former positions, passwords re-entered, ect.

Now, I still think I should do a Repair Install to patch up any holes, cuz I get a few can't-do-this-or-that errors every once in a while, it seems that I can do this from within Windows:

Simply pop the XP CD into the CD-Rom drive and select Install->Upgrade[recommended]. This will install XP overtop of itself in the same way as upgrading from a previous setup

Any tips before I do this?

Oh, and after I do that I'm thinking about taking LordOfThePigs' advice and converting the C drive to NTFS, it doesn't seem to be too complicated, only thing I fear is another system corruption.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307881
CrackHead2

Postby IneptVagrant » Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:42 am

CrackHead2 wrote:Hmmmm, how would I go about doing that, I don't even have a password for this machine, nobody else but me uses it.

The internets have about 200,000 replies to this question, and thats just the ones in english. The shortcut is "lusrmgr.msc".

And, you do have a password, that password just happens to be entered automatically during startup. And the password may be length=0, aka blank. But even a blank password is still a password.
IneptVagrant

Postby CrackHead2 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 8:33 am

Ah, OK, cheers mate. :toast:

Oh, one more thing:

I tried doing a Repair Install but hit this little snag:

Did a little Googling and found this:

Hello, I had this same problem just now while trying to upgrade, except the
file was different and a search didn't show any results for that file (like
yours).

Here's how I fixed the problem:
I searched the registry for the file. I found that it was a Raid driver that
I had installed that came with my mobo, that XP didn't have. So I went to the
device manager and uninstalled it. After that, I tried upgrading and it
worked perfectly!

So I scanned the registry and lo and behold:

What do you suggest? I don't like messing with the registry unless I gotta. :?
CrackHead2

Postby IneptVagrant » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:20 am

if you have searched your files and folders for "msbb" then there will be an entry under "HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Search Assistant" with the value of "msbb". For example, I found "HKEY_CURRENT_USER \ Software \ Microsoft \ Search Assistant \ ACMru \ 5603 \ 019" which contained "msbb" on my computer. If I had searched for "xyz" instead, then the value of this key would be "xyz". As you can plainly understand, this registry entry is not dangerous. It is simply a recording of what you search for on your own computer.

That out of the way...

Given the random nature of the filename, I wouldn't wry about it. Thou I also wouldn't ever do an "Upgrade" or a "Repair".
IneptVagrant

Postby CrackHead2 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:57 am

OK, so if I select "Skip" it shouldn't cause any adverse effects during/after Repair Install?

I did a Google search for the file name, 0 hits, it doesn't seem to be a part of the XP installation sequence yet here it is being designated MIA.....
CrackHead2

Postby CrackHead2 » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:52 pm

http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/1796/reggsfv2.jpg

Looks like it's a device driver of some sort... :shock:
CrackHead2

Postby IneptVagrant » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:54 am

it WAS a device driver of some sort -- thats the problem with 'upgrade'.. you keep are the garbage in your registry.

The file doesn't exist on your PC, you haven't been able to find it at least. So either its not needed (obviously since it doesn't exist) or you can live w/o it.

The only progs I know of that use random file names are virtual drives (so other progs have trouble detecting them) and spyware. Since its a SCSI device, it is/was most likely a virtual drive.
IneptVagrant

Postby CrackHead2 » Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:18 am

Yeah, you're right, I obviously should do a FULL reinstall, I've had this machine for over 5 years now, it's about time!

The only things that've been stopping me are the settings loss and the reinstall-everything hassle, I have a shitload of installed apps and I still gotta find the drivers for my monitor and sound-card.......bleh.....but it's gotta be done, right?

LOL, now System Restore ain't working, it can't create Restore Points, this mofo is barely holding it together! :D
CrackHead2

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion