Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Help Flashing a USB Thumb Drive

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Help Flashing a USB Thumb Drive

Postby curzlgt » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:55 pm

As I mentioned in another thread.......

http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=41581

curzlgt wrote:
HalOfBorg wrote:For what it's worth, my wife and I just watched an episode of 'Torchwood' - on a thumbdrive plugged into our upconverting Samsung DVD/Stereo. 350Meg Xvid, and it looked fine on our HDTV.

I recently got a new phillips DVD with USB, had read somewhere that video files could be played directly off USB drive....... wrongo :(

So details on said Samsung would be appreciated :)

I came across a couple interesting posts on another site.............

http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread ... ost7584823

quote Originally Posted by transpizzle View Post
So has everyone that's tried been able to play files directly off of the usb port?

I bought this DVD player and it works well. I am able to play .AVI files off a Sandisk Cruzer 4gb Drive (see Staples 110% pricematch from last week, $26.24 YMMV), but i had to remove the SanDisk U3 Partition and reformat it with Swissknife. Prior to that I couldn't get the damn thing to mount.

The DVD player doesn't send audio through the HDMI cable by default, you have to find the setting and turn it on in the settings. This had me freaking out for like 10 minutes.

Anyway... works great. Pick one up while they're in stock.

And.....

quote Originally Posted by schmooze View Post
I bought this DVD player and it works well. I am able to play .AVI files off a Sandisk Cruzer 4gb Drive (see Staples 110% pricematch from last week, $26.24 YMMV), but i had to remove the SanDisk U3 Partition and reformat it with Swissknife. Prior to that I couldn't get the damn thing to mount. .

I just bought the Sandisk Titanium with U3 and every thing worked right out of the box. What is your firmware on the player ? I had to flash mine when I bought it (5 months ago)

And..............

This is a great player. I got one for my folks at Costco for $64.99 because it came with a HDMI cable. I downloaded a backup copy of a movie I already own from a guy (aXXo - awesome guy) who makes the movies into 700 MB files (amazing) and put it on a 1 GB mp3 USB drive and it looked just like a 8.4 GB dvd film. It was in avi format, which is not listed as a file it supports, but it worked flawlessly! I just ordered one for myself. You might have to try ordering it a few times before you get it, it took me 3 tries to get mine. Here is a link to get a HDMI switcher with remote for $19.25 shipped with GCO!
http://www.buy.com/retail/product...=204972580
Enjoy!

Anyway I seem to be having a similar problem as the first guy. The thumb drives I have been using have the same U3 software and when inserted give a "no device attached" error on the screen.

Should I try to flash it? If so how is that done? Otherwise, can anyone suggest a thumb drive that will simply allow direct playback without all the trouble?

Thanks in advance for the help!
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long, plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side,” - Hunter S Thompson
curzlgt

Re: Help Flashing a USB Thumb Drive

Postby curzlgt » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:15 pm

NM, just got a new USB thumb drive, without any preloaded crap, and it works like a charm :) No more burning to disk form me, other than for back up :D
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long, plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side,” - Hunter S Thompson
curzlgt

Postby nexis » Mon Feb 25, 2008 6:35 pm

Nonsense, All you have to do is put the drive in your computer and right click it and choose format. Then select quick format and the factory installed tools will disappear. If you want to save them for use later on just copy the folder to your desktop and then format. Later just copy it back on if you find you really need them. I don't like the tools that come on the flash drives as they try to load crap on your computer.
Also of note. XBOX 360 now allows you to watch movies from flash drives on your TV.
nexis

Postby HEAT84 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:58 am

I think the reason you're having trouble with the U3 flashdrive is because they have 2 partitions. 1 is a fake CDFS partition designed to fool a PC into thinking the flashdrive is a CD to make autorun work. Your DVD player is expecting to see a flashdrive and I guess can't read CDFS from the USB port. Maybe instead of formatting you can change the active partition on it with FDisk or whatever. Well I guess you already formatted but I'd be interested to know if my idea would work.

I Just bought an empty flash drive too. Is there anyway to get autorun to work with it other than the U3 method? Autorun.inf works as far as changing the flashdrive's icon but won't open a program. Why is that? :?
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Postby anonomously2 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:47 am

nexis wrote:Nonsense, All you have to do is put the drive in your computer and right click it and choose format. Then select quick format and the factory installed tools will disappear. If you want to save them for use later on just copy the folder to your desktop and then format. Later just copy it back on if you find you really need them. I don't like the tools that come on the flash drives as they try to load crap on your computer.
Also of note. XBOX 360 now allows you to watch movies from flash drives on your TV.

Formating the drive doesn't get rid of the U3 crap. You need to use the U3 removal tool from your respective Flash Drive vender. :)
anonomously2

Postby GrymRpr » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:41 am

Formating the drive doesn't get rid of the U3 crap. You need to use the U3 removal tool from your respective Flash Drive vender.

Software Should Already Be on the FlashDrive.
On my sandisk 4 gig micro, the tools are in a zip file on the sandisk drive ( LaunchPad.zip ) pre-loaded.
Included tools are:
Launchpad Removal.exe, U3AccessGrant.exe, U3LauncherSetup.msi, cleanup.exe some DLL's for it and some CHM format Help files.
UnZipping and running Launchpad Removal.exe Gets ya:

Course, I'd Save that Zip File So you can Reinstall the software if you wish.
SlyckNick: wrote:
I abhor what slonceck and suprnova have now become.

The Worst thing to happen to any O.S.?
The GUI!
GrymRpr

Postby HEAT84 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:41 pm

Not all flashdrives come with software on it. I thought otherwise until I bought mine. Mine was empty.
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Postby anonomously2 » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:34 pm

HEAT84 wrote:Not all flashdrives come with software on it. I thought otherwise until I bought mine. Mine was empty.

True, but the ones without are getting harder to come by. If the package says anything about U3 or whatever sony calls their preloaded, then it needs to be uninstalled. :?
anonomously2

Postby GrymRpr » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:54 am

HEAT84:
Not all flashdrives come with software on it. I thought otherwise until I bought mine. Mine was empty.

I think the reason you're having trouble with the U3 flashdrive is because they have 2 partitions. 1 is a fake CDFS partition designed to fool a PC into thinking the flashdrive is a CD to make autorun work.

All the San Disk Cruzer micros I've run across have had the Zip file on that fake CDFS partition (2/4 gig) so thought everyone would put a tool set along with the launchpad exe and ini. there...

Learn something new everyday..

On a side note... I Might know a Link to that LaunchPad.zip... Could post it Or just Pm me...
SlyckNick: wrote:
I abhor what slonceck and suprnova have now become.

The Worst thing to happen to any O.S.?
The GUI!
GrymRpr

Postby curzlgt » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:36 pm

actually I needed a bigger thumb drive anyway. the ones I had were 256, 512, and 1 gig. And I already had uses for all of them. I just wanted to see if/how the USB host play worked on my philips DVD player.

Anyway, I bought 2 different USB devices.

1) A 2 gig PNY thumb drive with no pre installed anything. I just looked at the packaging and didn't see anything about pre installed anything.

2) a kodak sd thumb drive SD card reader. I have far more SD cards than I had use for anyway.

Both were bought at Wal Mart and both worked just fine.
curzlgt

Postby VIDIOT » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:59 am

I use 4 gig usb drives on my PS3 every day to watch movies either in 700 by 480 and movies in 1280 by 720.

Its just plug in the usb drives and hit play on the PS3.
To mess up a Linux box, you need to work at it; to mess up your Windows box, you just need to work on it, writes SecurityFocus columnist Scott Granneman.
VIDIOT

Postby Ratt » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:16 pm

I tried both formatting and deleting the partitions off the San Disk Cruzer on Ubuntu, but no deal, U3 is still there when you plug it into windows. You really do need the official removal tool from the website (if it's not on the stick).

I agree that this type of aggressive bloatware is annoying, but it does bring down the price. The 8 gigabyte Cruzer I bought is one hell of a goodlooking and fast-transferring stick, and despite that it's cheaper than most of the ugly competition too...in part thanks to the U3 crap. If you just use the tool, it'll never bother you again.
"Remember, kids, only rich people can sidestep the law. When you download our music without permission, you undermine the very fabric of society, but when we move our money to offshore tax shelters, that's simply 'fiscal responsibility'."
--MrFredPFL
Ratt

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion