Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

i broke my headphones in my laptop any help?

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

i broke my headphones in my laptop any help?

Postby joe2grimey » Sat Jan 26, 2008 3:44 pm

I dropped my laptop with my headphones in it.I cant see the socket in it . Can I still get sound or do I have to pay mega bucks to fix it. please if any1 can help I'll be grateful.
joe2grimey

Postby Aaron.Walkhouse » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:52 pm

If it was soldered directly to a circuit board inside the computer, then you have a problem. If the laptop is still under warranty you should have a company tech open it up and take a look, If it is not under warranty and the socket is not soldered directly to a board (or the board was not damaged), grab a screwdriver and a tube of crazy glue and go for it. Image
Aaron.Walkhouse

Re: i broke my headphones in my laptop any help?

Postby SlyckTom » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:56 pm

Would it be possible for you to take a digital photo and paste it here?
Follow us on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join our Facebook Fan page
SlyckTom

Re: i broke my headphones in my laptop any help?

Postby HouseCrowd » Sun Jan 27, 2008 6:37 am

Sounds like it would need to be stripped down to fix it. They are usually soldered directly to the PCB. It would most likely require a new socket, some soldering, and possibly some PCB repair if the socket has been ripped from the board.

I've repaired many laptops over the years with similar faults for customers. Unfortunately, such work with laptops can be quite time-consuming since they can often take an hour or more just to strip and rebuild, so it's probably not going to be too cheap to get it fixed properly. In the meantime, or as an alternative to fixing it, you could buy a pair or USB headphones (USB headphones usually have a built-in audio device, so they don't require you to have a working soundcard in your PC).
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion