Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Need a mixer with phono input/out & mic - XBMC

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Need a mixer with phono input/out & mic - XBMC

Postby ToM » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:14 am

Hi,

I use Xbox Media Centre as my main media centre which does everything I want except one thing - giving me the ability to use a mic whenever music/video is playing or just when XBMC is active.

According to xbmc devs the mic is only activated on CDG (karaoke) files in the latest builds so using the Xbox Communicator isn't gonna work for me.

So I'm thinking I can go about adding a mic to my media centre setup by buying a small mixer of sorts which I can plug the xbox L/R phonos into, then out into my stereo. It will of course need a mic input and prob controls for adjusting the mic audio input.

Can anyone recommend something that'd do the job? Or is this post a bunch of jibber-jabber?

Thanks !
Pirate.
ToM
©

Re: Need a mixer with phono input/out & mic - XBMC

Postby ToM » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:15 am

Oh and FIRST POST

in ages.

Happy 2008!
Pirate.
ToM
©

Postby HouseCrowd » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:35 am

Hey ToM! :D

Yeah, that should work fine. Any cheapo little mixer will work.

What type of mic have you got though? Balanced or unbalanced? Phono or XLR?

You need to get a mixer with the right input connection type/impedance to match the mic ... failing that, get a cheap 'line level' mixer and use a mic pre-amp to match the mic connection type/impedance instead.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby ToM » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:46 am

HouseCrowd wrote:Hey ToM! :D

Yeah, that should work fine. Any cheapo little mixer will work.

What type of mic have you got though? Balanced or unbalanced? Phono or XLR?

You need to get a mixer with the right input connection type/impedance to match the mic ... failing that, get a cheap 'line level' mixer and use a mic pre-amp to match the mic connection type/impedance instead.

Hey my man,

I don't have any spare mics at hand right now so I'm looking to order a new one. I'm on a pretty tight-ish budget and don't need anything too fancy, is there a combo you'd recommend?

Cheapest phono mic on Amazon that doesn't look too Fisher Pricey: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-FV-120-Uni ... 140&sr=8-2

I notice the cheapo mixers on ebay come with awful stock pics so I can't see any of the inputs without contacting the sellers.

Had a feeling you'd be the first one to reply. Big up.
Pirate.
ToM
©

Postby HouseCrowd » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:08 am

:D

Yeah, there is rather a shortage or rear-panel pics and proper detailed specs on most of the ebay listings. Might be best to take a walk around Maplin to find a suitable one, then perhaps try finding the same model cheaper online ... although Maplin's mixers can sometimes be reasonably competitively priced too.

That mic looks like a basic unbalanced, unamplified type, but it should give good enough results though .... I mean, who's gonna notice the mic quality with karaoke anyway? Everyone but the singer will probably have their fingers in their ears ;)

You will still either need a mixer with an unbalanced 600R input to use that though, or like I said, a mixer with just 'line level' inputs and a mic pre-amp to plug in in-between.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby ToM » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:50 am

Thanks mate, I've got a fair bit to go on now so I'll pop down to Maplin sometime this week and have a look around.

:toast:
Pirate.
ToM
©

Postby ToM » Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:44 pm

HC, could you link me to an example of what you'd recommend?

I've found a couple of things at Maplin but unsure of how well they'd work. One is this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Mod ... 1#overview which looks like it'd 'do the job', but looks like it has a fixed non-adjustable output.

I came a bit unstuck in regards to mixers. I found a few but they did way too much than I needed them to, incl too many channel controls (only need 2 really).

Tnx!

Edit: Oh yeah, I took a look round the back of my stereo and it has a free optical input. I'm assuming this wouldn't come in very useful though as like thing thing above^ at Maplin, I wouldn't be able to adjust the invidual volume.
Pirate.
ToM
©

Postby carpefile » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:13 pm

Whoa. Hey ToM!
I heard you were dead. :lol:
Nice to see you're still kickin' :toast:
carpefile

Postby ToM » Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:40 pm

carpefile wrote:Whoa. Hey ToM!
I heard you were dead. :lol:
Nice to see you're still kickin' :toast:

Sup carpe,

To be honest I probably was dead. I don't recall much when I'm not online, being offline is just kinda filler. My last proper memory was when I held the sword of a thousand truths proudly above my keyboard to slay Earth Station 5. That was like 2003 I think. I seriously think I've been in a state of suspended animation since then - brb gotta shower.

How's things been?
Pirate.
ToM
©

Postby HouseCrowd » Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:52 pm

As a pre-amp to feed a mixer at line-level, that'd be fine ToM. You would need a 'Y' splitter connector/lead though if you want the mic signal to go to both left and right channels.

However .... I just had a quick gander at the mixers on eBay and I found this:
http://tinyurl.com/3d7b7q

The spec is a bit vague (so it might be worth asking the seller for a full spec or manual), but I'm pretty sure it'll do the job, without the need for a separate mic pre-amp too!

Edit: Only trouble is it comes with a European mains plug, so you'll need to either buy an adaptor too, or better still find a replacement UK power supply for it.
HouseCrowd

Postby nyCecilia » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:39 pm

Hi--I use this http://www.acekaraoke.com/hprdkmmor1.html for exactly what you want to do. I had found it somewhere (maybe ebay?) for under $10.

Maybe you can answer a question for me: All of my cdg files are zipped. As a result, the library doesn't seem to want to read the tags. Is there any way to get it to read the tags in a zip file?

I am able to play the cdg file this way, albeit the result is not too wonderful :-/
nyCecilia

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion