Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Frustrating Ubuntu problems.

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Frustrating Ubuntu problems.

Postby HEAT84 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 12:07 am

No one at Ubuntu forums seems to want to help me. :(

So I It all started when I just wanted to Get ICS working and I think it could've avoided if someone had warned me about the DHCP bug in FireStarter's wizard. That bug is that the DHCP settings are always grayed out there but not when you go into Firestarter's preferences. Everything else was working fine before that including being able to browse the drives on the other (Windows) computer. I was following directions from various sources on how to get DHCP working including using Firestarter. I was just about to give up when I saw instructions that said you can enable DHCP in Firestarter via the wizard and preferences. DHCP was always grayed out in the wizard but when I went into the preferences and enabled it, it worked. So finally got that working but now I was no longer seeing the other computer on the network. I assume its because I messed up something trying to get DHCP working. So I decided to uninstall and reinstall Samba. Not only did that not work but I had no internet access in Ubuntu. I even completely uninstalled Samba and rebooted. It had been a couple weeks since I booted into Ubuntu and when I did that today internet access was working again but Kweather wasn't connecting to the weather server and I couldn't sync my PC's time with the timeservers either (the button was grayed out). I decided to install Samba again. After I did and rebooted no internet access again. :pissedoff: I rebooted a second time without changing anything and internet access was working again :? (partially) but Kweather (and who knows what other internet dependant programs)isn't seeing the internet for some reason. What's going on in the bowels of Ubuntu that's causing all these problems. Ubuntu's supposed to be the Linux for dummies Linux distro for dummies but I'm not a dummy and I'm having a hell of a time with it. At least with the networking and internet access parts of it. :pissedoff: Other than that I love it.

Here's the instructions I followed to (try) to get Samba working again.
Just to recap:
1. Can't browse Windows network
2. Kweather can't see the internet anymore.
3. Samba kills internet access but why should I have to install it when I didn't need to to have networking browsing working in the first place.

Maybe this belongs in Tech/Software or Tech/Other/Internet? Oops
[Under Construction]
HEAT84
Official Slyck Conspiracy Nut

Re: Frusterating Ubuntu problems.

Postby platemon » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:00 am

Hi HEAT84, I don't use Firestarter and have not ran into that situation my self, if you don't find help here at SLYCK, try posting your question at http://linuxmint.com/forum/ Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu and the Forums are friendly and active.
platemon

Postby HEAT84 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:31 am

I only used Firestarter to get DHCP working (IPtables is adequate right?). And in the unlikely event my problems aren't resolved here, I'll go to LinuxMint.
[Under Construction]
HEAT84

Postby HEAT84 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:44 am

OK I'm really starting to hate Ubuntu now. I edited xorg.conf because the resolution I wanted to change the screen to wasn't listed in the settings. Now I have no internet access in Ubuntu again and rebooting didn't bring it back. :pissedoff: If one more thing happens I'm going to another distro. :pissedoff: :pissedoff:

Which one of the many logs in Ubuntu will show me the process of starting the internet connection and which step it failed at?
[Under Construction]
HEAT84

Postby conroy3 » Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:05 am

when i run into problems with ubuntu i go to http://www.howtoforge.com/howtos and snoop around "till i find help. i'm running mintlinux now and love it. :)
conroy3

Postby HEAT84 » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:31 am

Nobody around here knows anything about Ubuntu? :shock: :(
[Under Construction]
HEAT84

Postby LANjackal » Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:53 am

HEAT84 wrote:Noone at Ubuntu forums seems to want to help me.
I've had that experience before.

HEAT84 wrote:OK I'm really starting to hate Ubuntu now.
I run Ubuntu on one of my machines, but I must admit that you have to be prepared to spend days troubleshooting stuff that would have been simple to work out on Windows. I've heard good things (in terms of compatibility) about PCLinux, though. You may want to try it, but bear in mind that it's by no means a popular distro, so support could be even worse than for Ubuntu.

I don't hate the OS, but I've experienced problems similar to yours with the same apparent lack of support at forums and that's exactly why I don't see it being my primary OS for quite a while. Hey, at least you didn't have Xserver irrecoverably go kaput on you, thus turning your Linux laptop into a de facto headless server. That's what happened to me. Have fun.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby keeper of the wheel » Mon Nov 26, 2007 8:26 am

I've got a dual boot computer (Ubuntu on 15GB, and WindowsXP Pro on 65GB). I spend most of my time on Ubuntu (I've been a fan since Ubuntu 5.10 and the latest version, 7.10, is the easiest yet. Maybe it takes a bit getting used to. I've been told that if you are jumping from Windows to Ubuntu, you might want to install Kubuntu, instead.
I don't use Firestarter, per se, but I am, without any problem, able to access my Windows partition from Ubuntu.
I hope that helps. (FYI, I did not do a clean install from 7.10, it was an upgrade from 7.4)
keeper of the wheel

Postby IneptVagrant » Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:40 am

You say ICS. Please call it NAT. ICS is windows terminalogy, and really its the name of windows NAT for home users.

You do have TWO ethernet ports right? Firestarter looks really ez to set up. http://www.fs-security.com/docs/preferences.php

2 drop down menus, and 2 check boxes. Make sure your aren't filtering/blocking traffic inappropriately.

Make sure the computer behind the NAT can browse the internet before you mess with Samba. When u are rdy for Samba, make sure it is binding to ONLY the LOCAL ethernet interface.

http://us3.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NetworkBrowsing.html#id347849 wrote:Multiple Interfaces

Samba supports machines with multiple network interfaces. If you have multiple interfaces, you will need to use the interfaces option in smb.conf to configure them. For example, the machine you are working with has 4 network interfaces; eth0, eth1, eth2, eth3 and only interfaces eth1 and eth4 should be used by Samba. In this case, the following smb.conf file entries would permit that intent:
interfaces = eth1, eth4
bind interfaces only = Yes

The bind interfaces only = Yes is necessary to exclude TCP/IP session services (ports 135, 139, and 445) over the interfaces that are not specified. Please be aware that nmbd will listen for incoming UDP port 137 packets on the unlisted interfaces, but it will not answer them. It will, however, send its broadcast packets over the unlisted interfaces. Total isolation of ethernet interface requires the use of a firewall to block ports 137 and 138 (UDP), and ports 135, 139, and 445 (TCP) on all network interfaces that must not be able to access the Samba server.
Edit the smb.conf appropriately, AND in firestarter you need to block INCOMING ports 137 and 138 (UDP), and INCOMING ports 135, 139, and 445 (TCP) for the "Internet" eth interface ONLY. [DO NOT BLOCK ANYTHING ON THE "LOCAL" INTERFACE]

keeper of the wheel wrote:able to access my Windows partition from Ubuntu
Samba is a network shareing tool, to share a files to other OSs across a network, not local HDDs.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Re: Frustrating Ubuntu problems.

Postby HEAT84 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 5:28 am

I reinstalled Ubuntu since there was so many other things that I broke and tried to get ICS and Samba working properly but no luck. So I tried OpenSUSE and had more of the same. Then I tried PCLinuxOS and got it all working.Image
[Under Construction]
HEAT84

Postby HEAT84 » Sun Dec 02, 2007 6:58 am

I just installed the XFCE-Weather plugin and I have no idea how to open/start it :oops: and Google isn't forthcoming with that information. :shock: Shouldn't it be listed when you go to "Add applet to the panel"? :?
[Under Construction]
HEAT84

Postby HEAT84 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 2:34 am

When I said I had everything working, it was in LiveCD mode. Now that I have the OS installed ICS/NAT isn't working. :pissedoff: :pissedoff: . So I tried the LiveCD again but ICS/NAT still isn't working. :pissedoff:

Also I can't write to the Windows partition. Here's the fstab entry
Code: Select all
/dev/hda1   /mnt/win_c   ntfs   user,exec,rw,auto,nls=utf8,umask=0

Why is it not mounting with rw permissions if its set to in FSTAB? I also installed FUSE and NTFS 3G.

Either that or tell me how to migrate Firefox's settings from Windows to Linux? I already know how to share the profile but I can't do that because I can't write to the Windows partition. Maybe if I copied the profile to the profile folder in the Linux FF folder?

WTF is going on! Are the Linux gods conspiring against me? Am I not worthy of Linux? This is driving me absolutely mad. I have a strong urge to throw something at the wall. I don't know how much longer I'll be able to resist that urge. :pissedoff: :(
[Under Construction]
HEAT84

Postby HEAT84 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:33 am

DHCP is working but not ICS. Is there a log file I could check or a command I could run that could show me where the problem is? Why is it acting like nothing is wrong? :cry:
[Under Construction]
HEAT84

Postby HEAT84 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 5:46 am

I just noticed SAMBA is working. Could that be interfering with ICS?
[Under Construction]
HEAT84

Postby IneptVagrant » Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:13 am

ubuntu doesn't write to NTFS out of the box. You have to install and configure ntfs-3g. Either way I don't recommend it. Use a fat32 partition, or flash drive to move files back and forth.
What do you mean "DHCP is working", for which computer?

Do you have 2 ethernet ports on the computer? you haven't answered this yet. The "WAN" side should retreive an IP via DHCP from your isp/modem (this is NOT the same thing as "DHCP is working"). The "LAN" side should be static in the realm 10.* or 192.168.*

Modem <WAN> Computer A <LAN> Other computer B.

When you say "DHCP is working" I want to assume you mean, B on the LAN can be assigned an IP from A automatically. I think its important to note the DHCP is not nessaccary for NAT, its just handy. You can always just use static IPs, where the "gateway" for B is the LAN IP of A.

Step 1, B should be able to ping A. If B can not ping A... DHCP is not working right, or your LAN isn't wired right, or another device on the LAN is configured wrong, such as a router also responding to as a DHCP server. Step 2, A should be able to ping B, and google.com. Step 3, B should be able to ping google.com

If step 3 isn't working, check you're firewall and NAT settings, make sure traffic is not being blocked! And is being forwarded (NAT) from the "LAN" NIC to the "WAN" NIC.
IneptVagrant

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:32 am

heat, please don't misunderstand me here. what i am about to say is by no means a commentary on you.

it's things like this that make me laugh every time some idealist claims linux is ready for the average end-user.

:roll:
MrFredPFL

Postby Smokerillo » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:20 am

if you got this far with ubuntu, why not go for real Debian instead of a knockoff?
Smokerillo

Postby HEAT84 » Fri Dec 07, 2007 4:49 pm

I'm using PCLinuxOS not Ubuntu anymore.
[Under Construction]
HEAT84

Re:

Postby HEAT84 » Sat Dec 08, 2007 1:48 am

MrFredPFL wrote:heat, please don't misunderstand me here. what i am about to say is by no means a commentary on you.

it's things like this that make me laugh every time some idealist claims linux is ready for the average end-user.

:roll:

Other then these problems, I'm loving the Linux experience. Exceptr than a few minor bigs, I think it is ready for the average end-user.

I still have 2 more Linux courses to take in the next year and a half so hopefully after I finish them, I'll know to solve these problems on my own. In the meantime I'll just have to swallow my pride. I suppose I could learn on my own.
[Under Construction]
HEAT84

Postby thejynxed » Sat Dec 08, 2007 9:50 am

I'll then give you the standard answer in the Ubuntu (and most other Lunix forums): RTFM.

:D
"FlickR is supposed to be weird, fun, experimental, way out-there -- oh no, wait, now that it's so close to being part of Microsoft, FlickR's supposed to bore people to death and empty their pockets while pretending to innovate." - Bruce Sterling
thejynxed

Postby MrFredPFL » Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:02 pm

with all due respect, heat, you are not a typical end user. you know far more about computing than the typical end user, i suspect, and yet you are finding a few as of yet, for yourself, insurmountable problems. how many more issues like these do you think the average end user would be stonewalled by?
MrFredPFL

Postby IneptVagrant » Tue Dec 18, 2007 10:13 am

To be honest.. It took microsoft almost 7 years to get ICS to the point where the 'avg' person could figure it out. I first used it in win98 to share loldialup, it was tedious to set up. In ME it would often break the connection to the point you had to reinstall your drivers.
IneptVagrant

Postby Kullt » Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:52 pm

I have to agree with MrFredPFL all distro's I've tried have far too many bugs to be resolved before they can take on microsoft. I still enjoy linux (mint btw) but can't wait till it improves, thought ubuntu would be the ones to do it but their lates release (gutsy) seems like a step backwards to me.

I thought PClinuxos was very nice but i had the same issues with ntfs permissions as you HEAT84, couldn't find much support either. I might have settled with it if I'd found the answer.

The reason I like Linux-Mint is because it's Ubuntu (very popular with lots of info on the web) with alot of the bugs fixed, unfortunately it inherits most of them though.

Smokerillo i've recently been contemplating pure Debian, just need to find the time. I had to set up a webserver from scratch for work the other day, tried SUSE and Fedora settled with Debian in the end (just gotta love apt :D ).

Oh nearly forgot, never tried ICS or NAT if ya like, but windows networking (with Samba) has always been temprementle for me.
Kullt

Postby LANjackal » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:21 am

thejynxed wrote:I'll then give you the standard answer in the Ubuntu (and most other Lunix forums): RTFM.

:D
What manual? Linux documentation is simply awful. When I need help with Windows, I grab my Microsoft Press Windows Vista Inside Out book, which answers most questions in a snap. Doing the same with Linux requires at least an hour of Googling and reading search results, then figuring out whether what's posted actually applies to you or not, then discovering that it doesn't and starting a support thread ...

Of course, a lot of this is due to the nature of Linux itself - it's not a static platform, and people will always be contributing and changing it on a decentralized basis, all of which makes documentation in the conventional sense difficult, if not impossible. But you have to admit that it is a drawback.

With Windows, you get less flexibility but better documentation, while Linux gives you the reverse. I for one, prefer to use my PC as opposed to figuring out how to do so.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby HEAT84 » Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:12 am

Well I have some free time on my hands so I decided to give it another go. I resolved the permissions issue. I opened a console window as root and opened konqueror and was able to change the permissions. 8)

But I still havent resolved the ICS/NAT issue but discovered some things. I booted into live cd mode and setup everything and shorewall started after the wizard was finished and I stopped shorewall to see if that was the problem. Apparently it wasn't, When I went to start it up again, it wouldn't. When I go into "Enable or Disable System Services" to start the service, in the log that you see in the tooltip, it says (after Compiling /etc/shorewall/rules...): ERROR:Port number not allowed with protocol "transparent: rule: "REDIRECT loc 3128 transparent transparent - " /sbin/shorewall: line 774: 4761 terminated $SHOREWALL_SHELL ${SHAREDIR}/compiler $debugging $nolock compile ${VARDIR}/.restart

Also later when I when I booted back into the HD installation of PCLinuxOS. I noticed IPtables was stopped and when I tried to start it nothing happened. No log in the tooltip like with Shorewall. Something weird is going on.

Using PPPOE to to start my connection because my DSL modem is in bridge mode shouldn't interfere with ICS should it? And when it asks me to choose the interface that connects to the internet in the wizard, I choose ETH0 not PPP0 right? I had ICS working once with PCLinuxOS. The first or second attempt I think.
[Under Construction]
HEAT84

Next

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion