Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Burners & media: members' results and recommendations

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby Trance » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:28 am

Trance

Postby Trance » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:57 am

These drives are newer so i don't think there is enough samples to get a good read about them, Maybe in a couple of months there will be better stats.
Trance

Postby LANjackal » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:00 am

Prophecy fulfilled! I thought a PX-740 would produce 100% results, and it did. The only caveat is the really small number of samples (8). Thanks nonetheless, Trance.

Also, Verbatim has been blown clean out of the top 3 in media reliability. Interesting.

New Standings:

Media Reliability:

1 - Trance - 96.1% - Ritek 16X DVD+R - RITEK-R04-01
2 - lordfoul/Omar - 95.6% - Ritek 8X DVD+R - RITEK-R03-02
3 - movieguy - 95.5% - Memorex 8x DVD+R - PRODISC-R03-03

Drive Reliability:

1 - Solomon - 100% - TSStcorp CD/DVDW TSH552B TS11
2 - Trance - 100% - Plextor DVDR PX-740A 1.01
3 - movieguy - 98.6% - NEC ND-3500AG 2.TD

I think it's safe to say Mitsubishi Kagaku (Verbatim's parent) no longer has a monopoly on the high quality blank media game - Ritek and ProDisc have seen to that.

As for the drive rankings, they are what they are, but because of the low sample number for the first 2 spots, I'm gonna have to call it NEC's game for internal drives.

Plextor clearly still rules the external arena (my drive, also the PX-740 is available as an external model).
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby WildHeart » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:00 am

Believe this is the first "RW" screenshot. Media was branded as Memorex.

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."
- Will Rogers -
WildHeart

Postby LANjackal » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:05 am

WildHeart wrote:Believe this is the first "RW" screenshot. Media was branded as Memorex.

Thanks, WH. That's the problem I have with Memorex - because they don't make their own media, their quality varies and you're left to guess at the store.

It's all about Ritek for me from now on 8).
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby Trance » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:25 am

If anyone has any Taiyo Yuden DVD's, I would like to see the stats. I wanna see if they live up to all the hype as being number 1.
Trance

Postby lordfoul » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:29 am

I hear Fuji are awesome too, I'd like to see someone post up results for some Fuji DVD+R. Incidentally I tested my drive with Verbatim and Sony media, but didn't get great results.
E-Thug - Cause talking shit in person is dangerous.
lordfoul

Postby Trance » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:33 am

I didn't bother posting the fuji's i have, Very low score. And Jackal, I've heard there are high and low grade riteks, so be careful.
Trance

Postby WildHeart » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:34 am

@lordfoul: Coming right up--give me a few minutes.

@ Trance: coming right up--give me a few minutes.

BTW I was a little disappointed with the results I got.
- Will Rogers -
WildHeart

Postby lordfoul » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:35 am

Trance wrote:I didn't bother posting the fuji's i have, Very low score. And Jackal, I've heard there are high and low grade riteks, so be careful.

Interesting could be some myths busted in this thread.
E-Thug - Cause talking shit in person is dangerous.
lordfoul

Postby WildHeart » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:39 am

Media was actually labeled as Fuji.
- Will Rogers -
WildHeart

Postby WildHeart » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:43 am

- Will Rogers -
WildHeart

Postby Trance » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:48 am

So, Those Yuden's are above average, and the fujis are just plain average (I had diffrent Fujis with a lower score). Thanks WildHeart
Trance

Postby LANjackal » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:00 am

@ Trance: Yeah that's what I heard too. However, the results in this thread seem to indicate otherwise when it comes to their latest single layer +R media. :?

What to think? Roll the dice and go for Ritek? Or stick to the "evil" I know with Verbatim?
LANjackal

Postby Trance » Fri Jan 06, 2006 3:06 am

You can't go wrong witht the verbatium's been using them for a while now, i think i got lucky with the ritek's. Only way to tell is when i buy the next batch of dvdr's which may be a while, have like 500 blanks laying around,lol
Trance

Postby Dormant707 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 9:08 am

Comparison between Verbatim DVD+R and DVD-R 16X Media on a NEC 3500(A)G Drive:

Dormant707

Postby Solomon » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:23 pm

Can we have a contest for the crappiest results? :lol: This is my Samsung burner with DL media.

I havent really used the DL media much, because they're so damn expensive, and I havent really found a lot of use for them - my DVD player wont play them, and I back my hdd up to another hdd.
Solomon

Postby Trance » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:26 pm

I think with those stats, you win hands down,lol
Trance

Postby Solomon » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:28 pm

With another random unlabelled disk. This one is +RW too.

With +RW media.

Solomon

Postby LANjackal » Fri Jan 06, 2006 5:47 pm

Solomon wrote:my DVD player wont play them

If your drive supports the feature, enable the option to change the bitsetting to DVD-ROM for DVD burning. This should fool your DVD player into thinking it's playing an original disc.

@ dannybhoi: Thanks a lot for that Verbatim comparison :D.

Thanks to everyone for their contributions so far :).
LANjackal

Postby movieguy » Sat Jan 07, 2006 2:33 am

The deal with the fujis are as follows.......Fujis labeled made in japan will be better cause they're TY disc, but the ones labeled made in taiwan are junk, they are the ones outsourced to others
movieguy

Location: On the other side of this 27in widescreen monitor baby

Postby Lemmy » Mon Jan 09, 2006 5:08 pm

Right then I have just got meself the Verb's I promised meself so as soon as I do my reinstall tommorrow ( as long as this HD turns up) I shall post the resuls ASAP!
you know, like TY's, Ritek, Verbatim etc all get good reviews but at the end of the day its what works well on your optical drive really, I mean I have bought media in the past that has been really quite awful for me but friends have bought the same and had great results, so its whatever works best for you! Its just that media like Taiyo Yuden, Fuigifilm, Verbatim etc have been tried and tested on a lot of drives and produced decent results on most of them. a good when thinking of buying meia is here, ahh shit the site is down but its at http://www.digitalfaq.com anyway, well worth a look if your not in the know!!!!
Terror, Blood, Guts and Gore
Lemmy

Location: Wallowing in my own confused and insecure delusions

Postby LANjackal » Mon Jan 09, 2006 10:21 pm

Thanks Lemmy. Godspeed on that reinstallation job. See you back here soon :D.
LANjackal

Postby WildHeart » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:40 am

Since I'm the newbie here, I probably shouldn't even be commenting at all on this--but I'm gonna give you my observations anyway on what I've seen in this thread so far:

1. The overwhelming factor in all these comparisons is the quality of the drive. Without a top-quality drive there's not much use even discussing which is the best media. I was lucky--my NEC came pre-installed in the PC I bought off-the-rack. Others, or those with older drives, may not be so lucky.

2. I can see little difference in the top-rated media. The main factor seems to be "Where was it made?" If Japan, it's pretty reliable. If Taiwan (or Malaysia, or wherever), it's probably not so reliable. But even otherwise mediocre quality media can give fairly decent results if used with the top-quality drives (back to observation #1). Exceptions to the "Made in Japan" rule would be TDK and Sony, who have their own factories in Taiwan.

Having said all that, I would like to see some results for TDK DVD-Rs. Anybody?

Again, I'm the newbie here, so please feel free to disagree with my conclusions.

BTW Lemmy--good link. I wanted to post the link to one of their pages that rated the various media, but the site seems to be down again.

EDIT: Found the link: http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm
Last edited by WildHeart on Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Will Rogers -
WildHeart

Postby BasicTek » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:13 am

I would have posted earlier but my Phillips DVD drive died on me a couple weeks ago and I procrastinated getting a new one.

While my mentality with drives has been to always buy the cheapest name brand that I trust, my mentality with media has been just buy the cheapest any name brand period. Thanks to this thread and my test I may be changing my media mentality. The media I used was fuji DVD - R's that I got on sale a year ago. No idea why it shows up as ProdiscF01. The drive I just bought for $40 something seems good though.

"The government, which was designed for the people, has got into the hands of the bosses and their employers, the special interests. An invisible empire has been set up above the forms of democracy." - Woodrow Wilson
BasicTek

PreviousNext

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion