Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Burners & media: members' results and recommendations

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby movieguy » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:53 pm

Nero has tools very similar in their CD/DVD burning package, i dont now about version 7, but 6.6 has them, and i think it has just about all the same options that you can use on all burners
movieguy

Location: On the other side of this 27in widescreen monitor baby

Postby LANjackal » Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:32 pm

Can you change the bitsetting (instruct drive to mark +R discs as ROM on burning - a trick that vastly increases playback compatibility with older DVD decks) on NECs?
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby movieguy » Mon Jan 02, 2006 11:05 pm

yes you can...thats how i have my burner set up right now infact, you can use Neros tools to do that, and Nero will work on every burner.

Cmon people lets get some more shots up here
movieguy

Postby Lemmy » Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:43 pm

We need more peeps to upload their screens of sucess rates with the media they use! so far only about 4 have done so, there must be more of you out there that get this anal over such things!!! I have only become this way recently due to not knowing a thing about media, thinking blank DVD/CDs were all the same, How wrong you can be, so I went off to do some research. I also Found out that the Sony dvd drive I had purchased was actually a re-badged Lite-on, and that sony did not support any Firmware for this particular Drive. :cry: :cry: :cry: Keep 'em coming guys!!!
Terror, Blood, Guts and Gore
Lemmy

Location: Wallowing in my own confused and insecure delusions

Postby LANjackal » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:10 pm

Lemmy wrote:I also Found out that the Sony dvd drive I had purchased was actually a re-badged Lite-on, and that sony did not support any Firmware for this particular Drive. :cry: :cry: :cry: Keep 'em coming guys!!!

Very common problem. Always check the manufacturer's website for support details.

But, as movieguy said: NEC + Plextor. People who wish to argue against that see the results in this thread or post better ones yourselves ;).
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby Solomon » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:09 pm

Here's mine.

I dont know where the disk came from, I just found it on top of my PC. Its odd, because I dont buy -R media... :?
Solomon

Postby LANjackal » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:40 pm

New Standings:

Media Reliability:

1 - movieguy - 95.5% - Memerox 8x DVD+R - PRODISC-R03-03
2 - LANjackal - 95.4% - Verbatim 16X DVD+R - MCC-004-00
3 - dannybhoi - 94.7% - Verbatim 4X DVD? - MCC-002-00

Drive Reliability:

1 - Solomon - 100% - TSStcorp CD/DVDW TSH552B TS11
2 - movieguy - 98.6% - NEC ND-3500AG 2.TD
3 - LANjackal - 98.5% - Plextor PX-716UF 1.08

@ Solomon: What is the actual brand of your drive? Is it a Samsung?

UPDATE ON DL MEDIA TEST: I got home this evening to find that Buy.com had requested signature on delivery for my discs, and so they're spending the night at the post office until I pick them up tomorrow. I'll try to get some results up by then.

Am I the only one here that buys DL media? :? I use them only for DVD-9 features - usually discs with multiple episodes of a show - whose menus I want to keep (I never compress video, being a quality freak).
LANjackal

Postby indecision04 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:42 pm

This is one of the 5 dvd-r's I got for free from Newegg. It's RITEKG04, whatever that means. I already saw somebody had an 05 version.

indecision04

Postby LANjackal » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:52 pm

Check for a firmware update for your drive. Movieguy has the same hardware and he's getting better performance. :)
LANjackal

Postby movieguy » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:49 am

The firmware i use is not offical it is hacked for no region protection and rip locked removed and also a couple of other tweaks.....its not NEC firmware

BTW a success rate of 100% is not hard with only 14 samples, i wouldnt say that the drive is reliable at all when they dont even have alot of stats in the database, shows how uncommon they are...plus only burning at 2x? how old is this drive? is it even dual layer?
movieguy

Postby LANjackal » Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:39 am

movieguy wrote:The firmware i use is not offical it is hacked for no region protection and rip locked removed and also a couple of other tweaks.....its not NEC firmware

BTW a success rate of 100% is not hard with only 14 samples, i wouldnt say that the drive is reliable at all when they dont even have alot of stats in the database, shows how uncommon they are...plus only burning at 2x? how old is this drive? is it even dual layer?

I was wondering about all the above myself. However, since there were no rules about drive specs laid down at the beginning of the thread, suddenly throwing them in Solomon's face would seem prejudicial.

Don't take any offense to this, but it could be argued that your results are unfair due to the fact that you're using hacked firmware. Also, indecision04 posted results on a drive with only 87 samples.

I guess I should have thought about some ground rules before kicking the thread into high gear. I'm hoping Solomon can get back to me about those drive specs. I'm giving him 24 hours in which to do this. Hopefully by then we can come to some consensus as to what to do so that the thread doesn't become a farce.

Anyway, it's important that this not turn into a pissing match. I don't care if I end up being 10th, I just want to see results (Solomon, disclosure of drive specs is key).

DL media tomorrow or at least by Thursday. If more people complain about Solomon's results and he is not forthcoming about the specs, your lead should probably be reinstated.
LANjackal

Postby Solomon » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:24 am

Sorry, I forgot to add the drive model. Good job you gave me 24 hours to sort it out... :lol:

Its a Samsung TS-H552B. It was on special offer at PC World (yeah, I know) so I bought it. Currently using firmware TS11 (the latest).

The media is called "Budget", and there is a website - http://www.01ne.co.uk - on the disk.

Am now using "Tuffdisc" branded disks. Again, they're the cheapest, but Ive never had a burn fail on me yet, apart from the ones I messed up. Been using them for about 6-8 months.

[EDIT] Review of the drive at cdfreaks.com.
Solomon

Postby Solomon » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:35 am

movieguy wrote:i wouldnt say that the drive is reliable at all when they dont even have alot of stats in the database, shows how uncommon they are...

The results appear to show a combination of drive and media - I get way different results using the same drive with different media.

plus only burning at 2x? how old is this drive? is it even dual layer?

The 2x is the capability of the media, not the drive. The drive is DL, yes. Ive had it about 6-8 months. I dont know when it was manufactured, though.

This is with Tuffdisk media.

Solomon

Postby LANjackal » Wed Jan 04, 2006 3:06 pm

Thanks for your contributions, Solomon. I picked up the Verbatim DL discs within the past hour, I'll test them when I get home.
LANjackal

Postby movieguy » Wed Jan 04, 2006 5:46 pm

I wasnt bashing, just bring up the point of 14 samples.....I didnt ask for standings or whatever to be changed i was just bringing to light what i saw in the screenshot
movieguy

Postby LANjackal » Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:15 pm

Upgraded my Plextor's firmware to 1.09, which gave no change in the results for the previously posted media, so forget about that.

Below are the results for the Verbatim 2.4 - 6X DVD+R DL media I got today. By the way, I also got a $7 rebate, which brings the final price to $2.19/disc. Still much more expensive than single layer discs, but necessary for some of my jobs:

Not much around to compare that with so... I'm gonna need some DL results from the rest of you ;).
LANjackal

Postby Dormant707 » Thu Jan 05, 2006 4:47 am

LANjackal wrote:Upgraded my Plextor's firmware to 1.09, which gave no change in the results for the previously posted media, so forget about that.

Below are the results for the Verbatim 2.4 - 6X DVD+R DL media I got today. By the way, I also got a $7 rebate, which brings the final price to $2.19/disc. Still much more expensive than single layer discs, but necessary for some of my jobs:

Not much around to compare that with so... I'm gonna need some DL results from the rest of you ;).

Interesting that the success rate of DL discs is much lower than single layer discs. My gut feeling about DL discs has always been one of trepidation - I feel that the chances of a failed burn are that much more stronger - due to the fact that you have a higher density on a finite space. Watch HD-DVD and Blu-Ray - they are going to be very finicky formats - top media will be essential.

This is of course my opinion, and I have never used DL discs due to the cost - £20 for 5 discs, where as I can get a spindle of 50 dvd-r 16x discs for £15. Big difference. I would like to get my hands on a single dual layer disc though and do a test with this facility.
Dormant707

Postby LANjackal » Thu Jan 05, 2006 5:05 am

dannybhoi wrote:Interesting that the success rate of DL discs is much lower than single layer discs. My gut feeling about DL discs has always been one of trepidation - I feel that the chances of a failed burn are that much more stronger - due to the fact that you have a higher density on a finite space.

That and the DL technology was rushed to market on the hardware side. OEMs were shipping DL drives before the media was even available. The result was that a lot of poorly tested equipment was on the market - leading to poor reliability.

As for the cost, as I said, I use DL media only when I really want to keep the menus for whatever I'm copying. The reason for this is that some DVD players (including mine) don't do very well at navigating between titles, often forcing you to seek through each title to get to the next one, which is annoying. I could compress the video to make space, but I'm a quality freak and can't bring myself to do that ;).
LANjackal

Postby lordfoul » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:50 pm

This a pretty good result for this drive.
E-Thug - Cause talking shit in person is dangerous.
lordfoul

Postby zim » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:10 pm

mmm... crappy... glad i only got 1 of em

the rest of mine are all in the 98% range for my drive
zim

Postby LANjackal » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:38 pm

New Standings:

Media Reliability:

1 - lordfoul - 95.6% - Ritek 8X DVD+R - RITEK-R03-02
2 - movieguy - 95.5% - Memorex 8x DVD+R - PRODISC-R03-03
3 - LANjackal - 95.4% - Verbatim 16X DVD+R - MCC-004-00

Drive Reliability:

3 - LANjackal - 98.5% - Plextor PX-716UF 1.09

It's a really close race in the media reliability race: you'd have to buy at least 100 of any of the brands there to see any difference in the number of coasters, it seems. Too bad Verbatim's offering rebates and I'm drowning in blanks - I might be switching to Ritek.

@ zim: Kindly post your other results. Thanks :).
LANjackal

Postby Drustan » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:53 pm

http://picsplace.to/]Image

Love my NEC drive. Never have any problems, no coasters. Capable of writing at 8x but reduces it to 4x when burning a film to avoid any problems.
Using Nero 7 Ultra, previous Nero 6 Ultra and as i said works flawlessly.
Verbatim for CD-R's.
Dvd media i use is Maxell DVD-R (Ritek G05). These you can pick up in any Argos store. Just make sure discs are made in Japan :wink:
Drustan

Postby WildHeart » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:00 am

Above was branded as Imation. Have some Fuji DVD-Rs and DVD+Rs around. Will post those when I can.

EDIT; Just tested a KHypermedia branded DVD-R. Screenshot was identical to the one above.
"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."
- Will Rogers -
WildHeart

Postby Omar » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:58 am

LG GSA-4167B
Omar

Postby LANjackal » Fri Jan 06, 2006 1:13 am

New Standings:

Media Reliability:

1 - lordfoul/Omar - 95.6% - Ritek 8X DVD+R - RITEK-R03-02
2 - movieguy - 95.5% - Memorex 8x DVD+R - PRODISC-R03-03
3 - LANjackal - 95.4% - Verbatim 16X DVD+R - MCC-004-00

Drive Reliability:

3 - LANjackal - 98.5% - Plextor PX-716UF 1.09
LANjackal

PreviousNext

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion