Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Burners & media: members' results and recommendations

This is the forum to discuss tech-hardware related issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Burners & media: members' results and recommendations

Postby LANjackal » Sun Jan 01, 2006 4:40 pm

VSO-Software Presents First Report About Burners and Media Units

Story : http://www.vso-software.fr/articles/bur ... -brand.php

In late April, we have slowly introduced a new feature to collect anonymous data about the burning process. These statistics are collected in a MySQL database and we used this database to focus our attention on some optical drives. The database contains information like drive model, firmware, media type and brand, burn speed and if the burn has completed successfully or not.

NEW THREAD RULES

New rules for this thread are in effect to facilitate the monitoring of results and eliminate the need to hunt for a roundup thereof.

Here they are:

1 - Post ANY results if you have them

2 - If your post makes you one of the top 3 in any of the results categories, quote and edit the standings in a post of your own to reflect the change. BE FAIR. Cheating will not be appreciated :evil:

3 - DRIVE RELIABILITY RESULTS REMOVED due to the fact that the ratings depend partially on the media the drive is burning to and vary as such.

4 - Media reliability has been subdivided into several categories: DVD+-R, DVD+-R DL, DVD+-RW. A category for DVD+-RW DL discs will be added once someone posts a result containing one them.

I will do my best to keep an updated copy of the standings here at the first post, so that they can be found with a single click if needed.

That said, here are the current new standings:

DVD+-R

1 - Trance - 96.1% - Ritek 16X DVD+R - RITEK-R04-01
2 - lordfoul/Omar - 95.6% - Ritek 8X DVD+R - RITEK-R03-02
3 - movieguy - 95.5% - Memorex 8x DVD+R - PRODISC-R03-03

DVD+-R DL

1 - LANjackal - 91.8% - Verbatim 6X DVD+R DL - MKM-001-00
2 - zim - 81.7% - Ritek 4X DVD+R DL - RITEK-D01-01
3 - Solomon - 60.4% - Philips 2.4X DVD+R DL - PHILIPS-041-00

DVD+-RW

1 - WildHeart - 94.8% - Philips 4X DVD+RW - PHILIPS-041-00
2 - Solomon - 93.3% - Optodisc 2.4X DVD+RW - OPTODISC-OP1-01
Last edited by LANjackal on Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
Follow me around the internet!
[Windows 7 Pro x64 (Primary OS)
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby LANjackal » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:08 am

This is actually a pretty neat feature by which you can compare the likelihood of a successful burn across different manufacturers.

As the article says, you'll need VSO Inspector, found here: http://www.vso-software.fr/download.php. The program includes a built-in screenshot feature so you can show-and-tell.

And that's all. Here's my Plextor PX-716UF (Sister product has 2nd highest success rate among mainstream drives. Also note that the absolute highest ranking is shared by a Plextor and a Toshiba) with Verbatim 16X DVD+R media:

As I always recommend Plextor, I was quite gratified by the article's results and by the above screenshot. Note that the success rate with my drive is higher than that of any of those listed on the webpage. I guess it wasn't included in the roundup because there weren't enough samples, perhaps :(.

Don't know how people have failures with Verbatim media, though, unless their drives suck - I've never burned a single coaster in just over a year of ownership of my drive.

I also usually recommend NEC to people who like fantastic performance but can't be bothered to pay extra for cushy tech support. Looks like I was right again - they're number one among mainstream drives. From the absolute results, though, it looks as if I'll be adding Toshiba to the list.

The big disappointment for me, though, is Pioneer's dismal performance - I've always recommended it along with NEC and Plextor.

Looks like my official recommendations will now change to Plextor (note the consistent high performance for all the models mentioned), LG (new), NEC (new), and Toshiba (see below).

Caveat: there's little statistical data for the Toshiba + the latest Plextor, but my personal experiences with their drives give them the edge in my books.

That's my take for now :D. Burning DVDs? GO PLEXTOR!!! is all you need to know. You'll pay a premium but it's VERY worth it.
LANjackal

Location: Various networks. In the physical world I'm an adaptive AI that pretends to be human

Postby HouseCrowd » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:21 am

I was just playing around with that too.

Very neat little program!! Similar in some ways to DVD Identifier, but with the added ability to check media/writer compatibility, which is an excellent feature!

LANjackal wrote:I also usually recommend NEC to people who like fantastic performance but can't be bothered to pay extra for cushy tech support. Looks like I was right again - they're number one among mainstream drives.

Same here. I've bought and installed lots of NEC drives, and all of my own writers are NECs. And as far as media goes, I almost always buy G05 discs ...

(Agreed, nice screenshot feature!)
Last edited by HouseCrowd on Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby Dormant707 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:37 am

Thanks LJ! Nice find. I run a NEC 3500 drive which is a good drive, but has been finicky when it comes to media - it was hit and miss for me - used various media, but I found that Verbatim was the best. This little utility shows that too!

Dormant707

Postby lordfoul » Mon Jan 02, 2006 6:51 am

I stand by my recommendation big brother to the recommended GSA-4163B. I just bought on OEM for a buddy a week ago. I was heartened to see my SONY DVD RW DRU-710A hanging in there.
E-Thug - Cause talking shit in person is dangerous.
lordfoul

CAN YOU BEAT MY PERCENTAGES? TRY! (GOOD FUN, NO FLAMES)

Postby LANjackal » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:00 am

And... I'm still in the lead... (checking the percentages in the screenshots) ;). Challengers very welcome in the name of good fun. Bring it on. Yes. You. Post a screenshot.
Last edited by LANjackal on Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
LANjackal

Postby lordfoul » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:06 am

Granted. :) I'll have to run this test on his drive and post up the results.
lordfoul

Postby LANjackal » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:24 am

#1 is the lonliest, but there are other places too that deserve good mention :D. Current standings:

Media Reliability:

1 - LANjackal - 95.4% - Verbatim 16X DVD+R - MCC-004-00
2 - HouseCrowd - 94.1% - Ritek G05 (I can never find these for purchase anywhere :()
3 - dannybhoi - 94.0% - Verbatim 12X DVD-R - MCC02RG20

Drive Reliability:

1 - LANjackal - 98.5% - Plextor PX-716UF 1.08 (firmware version)
2 - HouseCrowd - 98.2% - NEC ND-3520A 1.04
3 - dannybhoi - 94.6% - NEC ND-3500AG 2.1A

As you can see, mere fractions of a percentage separate a few of the placements, so don't automatically think you're out of the running. Test and post, no matter what you get. It'll be very helpful to those of us who are relied upon by friends, family and clueless employers to make tech recommendations.

Also, in future when members ask for drive recommendations, we can refer them to this thread :D (implied sticky request) :D.

The reason I'm stressing this is that as my drive results show, there are options other than those in the original link that work VERY well, but are unmentioned. Thank You.

Anyone feel free to update the standings if they change. It's all in good fun, by the way. Please don't flame or laugh at the results of others. We (or at least I) am here to learn.
LANjackal

Postby lordfoul » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:29 am

I think a sticky would be a great idea.
lordfoul

Postby LANjackal » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:35 am

I'm thinking someone with a Plextor PX-740UF (practically the same specs as the -716) or PX-760UF (18X writing, lucky bastard) could probably blow me out of the water. The latter would have to come much later, though, when there are enough samples for the results from his drive to make sense.

I'm waiting.

Anyone have any idea what's in the dev pipes for NEC with regard to DVD burning (I'm not concerned with HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, yet)? Toshiba? I know NEC and Sony have merged their optical drive operations, if I'm correct. Also, NEC does some outsourcing to LG (or is it BenQ?) I'm seriously Plextor-aware only. Thanks.
LANjackal

Postby lordfoul » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:51 am

Don't get me wrong I appreciate great hardware at any price and Plexy is that, but I am all for low cost/performace ratio's and thats why I like LG and Benq or what ever is delivering at the moment.
lordfoul

Postby LANjackal » Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:57 am

lordfoul wrote:Don't get me wrong I appreciate great hardware at any price and Plexy is that, but I am all for low cost/performace ratio's and thats why I like LG and Benq or what ever is delivering at the moment.

The main reasons I like Plextor are the great support and documentation, the fact they actually make the drives they sell, the tremendous R&D and testing that comes behind their products, regular firmware updates and of course, PlexTools.

Of course, as the results show, it's quite possible to equal (for all practical purposes) Plextor's performance via NEC or something less expensive. I just like the extras. Kinda like how you get free maintenance with every BMW. I need to work on getting one of those next :(.
LANjackal

Postby Mrs. 2p » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:19 am

I agree, certainly sticky material! but renamed for easier reference, and placed in the hardware section, not in More File-Sharing News....

*moved*, *renamed*, and *stickied*

now everyone start posting your results!
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Don't you just love a good read?
Mrs. 2p

Postby LANjackal » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:21 am

^^^ Thank you, ma'am.
LANjackal

Postby stoops » Mon Jan 02, 2006 12:12 pm

Like this utility, or at least I did till I saw my results :(

*sulks*
stoops

Postby HouseCrowd » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:45 pm

LANjackal wrote:Ritek G05 (I can never find these for purchase anywhere :()

Strange ... they're all over the place here (UK) ... dunno about the US though (assuming you're in the US). I get them from various places, and they're often branded under different manufacturers names, though they still have the G05 dye of course. I often get these from here. Perhaps they could ship them over to you ;)
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby sonic1974 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 2:53 pm

Im so gutted :cry: but had drive for over 12 months now :shock: !! just started to use the dvd side of it :!:

Its a cheap drive but not complaining about the results really as for the media its also a cheap one but hey they work in my xbox and ps2 :)

my drive sucks eggs :( :evil:
You say your how old????
sonic1974

Postby LANjackal » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:22 pm

HouseCrowd wrote:Strange ... they're all over the place here (UK) ... dunno about the US though (assuming you're in the US). I get them from various places, and they're often branded under different manufacturers names, though they still have the G05 dye of course. I often get these from here. Perhaps they could ship them over to you ;)

I found them here in the US. Seems both Meritline.com and Mwave.com sell them. Thanks - now I have a backup option in case Verbatim/MCC media isn't available.

By the way, has anyone tried testing a DL disc? I ordered some more Verbatim DVD+R DL ones after using the first 3 I got last year. Again, no coasters.

Here's the fun part, though: via the latest firmware, PX-716s can write to 2.4X media at up to 8X. I tore through a 7.89GB movie DVD image burn in 19m22s using Alcohol 120% on my last DL disc. That's a massive improvement beyond the 30+min it took me before.

I'm waiting for the new DL shipment above so that I can test and post.
LANjackal

Postby Dormant707 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:34 pm

Interesting change when I put in a 16x DVD-R Verbatim disc - an improvement in the figures:

Dormant707

Postby Lemmy » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:40 pm

Interesting thread, But i'll have to wait until I get my Verbatim's on the go, cos I am using CMC MAG media at the mo which suck donkeys!!! @housecrowd: from what I've been told, Ritek G05's have gone downhill of late, I myself have used them in the past though and have found them to be ok media. From now on I am only gonna be using Verbs in my machine just to be safe.
Terror, Blood, Guts and Gore
Lemmy

Location: Wallowing in my own confused and insecure delusions

Postby HouseCrowd » Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:54 pm

Lemmy wrote:@housecrowd: from what I've been told, Ritek G05's have gone downhill of late, I myself have used them in the past though and have found them to be ok media. From now on I am only gonna be using Verbs in my machine just to be safe.

Can't say I've noticed any change in quality. They work well with my burner (= no coasters, except for my own cock-ups) and my DVD player and all of the DVD players I've ever had them in.

I must admit, I did have a bad batch one time a while ago though, where 10 or so out of the 50 disc spindle would burn with errors, but those discs had visible blemishes/streaks in the dye which I guess must've just slipped by quality control. I probably could've taken them back, but I never bothered ...
HouseCrowd

Postby LANjackal » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:05 pm

Lemmy wrote:cos I am using CMC MAG media at the mo which suck donkeys!!!

This is a fact-finding thread. Please test and report said media, no matter how bad they may be. Thanks.

@ dannybhoi: New standings below. The faster the Verbatim media, the later it is and hence the better it usually is.

Media Reliability:

1 - LANjackal - 95.4% - Verbatim 16X DVD+R - MCC-004-00
2 - dannybhoi - 94.3% - Verbatim 16X DVD-R - MCC 03RG20
3 - HouseCrowd - 94.1% - Ritek G05

Drive Reliability:

1 - LANjackal - 98.5% - Plextor PX-716UF 1.08 (firmware version)
2 - HouseCrowd - 98.2% - NEC ND-3520A 1.04
3 - dannybhoi - 97% - NEC ND-3500AG 2.1A
LANjackal

Postby movieguy » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:23 pm

Hey i dont know how to upload my screenshot but i have a NEC 3500 with media at 94.5 and the drive is 98.6, i have the screenshot but dont know how to upload....looks like LANjackal has been beaten
movieguy

Location: On the other side of this 27in widescreen monitor baby

Postby Dormant707 » Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:28 pm

movieguy wrote:Hey i dont know how to upload my screenshot but i have a NEC 3500 with media at 94.5 and the drive is 98.6, i have the screenshot but dont know how to upload....looks like LANjackal has been beaten

Go to http://www.imageshack.us, hit the browse button and choose your screenshot jpeg. Then hit upload. After the file has been uploaded, imageshack will take you to another page where you must copy the direct link. Then come to Slyck and post in this thread, hit the Img button once, paste the direct link and then hit Img again. Then submit!
Dormant707

Postby LANjackal » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:10 pm

movieguy wrote:Hey i dont know how to upload my screenshot but i have a NEC 3500 with media at 94.5 and the drive is 98.6, i have the screenshot but dont know how to upload....looks like LANjackal has been beaten

Well in the drive category, at least. Post the screenshot to make it official. Congratulations!!! :D.

So, unofficially, NEC has taken the lead in hardware, and Verbatim still leads in media.
LANjackal

Next

Return to Tech/Hardware Discussion