Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

ISPs and Movie Industry Prepare Canadian Pirate Site Blocking Deal

What's happening in the technology world! Please submit stories for this forum here.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

ISPs and Movie Industry Prepare Canadian Pirate Site Blocking Deal

Postby MrFredPFL » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:50 am

Story : https://torrentfreak.com/isps-and-movie-industry-prepare-canadian-pirate-site-bl

A coalition of Canadian ISPs and movie industry companies is preparing a deal to block pirate sites without a court order. The plan, which will be submitted to the telecom regulator CRTC later this month, is the first of its kind in North America. While major ISPs are on board, the Government's response has been rather reserved.

n most countries, these blockades are ordered by local courts, which compel Internet providers to restrict access to certain websites. In Canada, however, there’s a plan in the works to allow for website blockades without judicial oversight.

A coalition of movie industry companies and ISPs, including Bell, Rogers, and Cineplex are discussing a proposal to implement such measures. The Canadian blocklist would be maintained by a new non-profit organization called “Internet Piracy Review Agency” (IPRA) and enforced through the CTRC, Canadaland reports.

The plan doesn’t come as a total surprise as Bell alluded to a nationwide blocking mechanism during a recent Government hearing. What becomes clear from the new plans, however, is that the telco is not alone.

MrFredPFL
I am Spartacus

Re: ISPs and Movie Industry Prepare Canadian Pirate Site Blo

Postby jackal1234 » Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:35 am

I hate bell. Unfortunately they are the only fibre op provider in my area

I think it's disgusting how vertically integrated their company is, with all their different properties, media, infrastructure, etc, to be so blatantly self-absorbed and anti customer. The only way they'll ever get better is if the government sets aside foreign competitor rules and lets the big US competition come in
jackal1234

Return to Tech/Internet/Other News