Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

The Pirate Party: Justice For Legitimate Ex-Users Of Megaupload

What's happening in the technology world! Please submit stories for this forum here.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

The Pirate Party: Justice For Legitimate Ex-Users Of Megaupload

Postby sunnyd » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:40 pm

Story : http://www.zdnet.com/blog/igeneration/the-pirate-party-justice-for-legitimate-ex

Just a few days after the majority of the tech community were sitting smugly over coffee watching headlines confirming the temporary defeat of SOPA, Megaupload disappeared overnight from the digital radar.

After the FBI took it upon themselves to close down the storage locker, seize the domain names, confiscate over $50 million in assets and arrest the founders, the rage and confusion of users was felt worldwide.

Now, a movement has begun in Catalonia from the Pirate Party (PP-Cat) that aims to bring collective civil action against the FBI.

On the first day, over 1000 ex-megaupload users registered in Spain alone, and now collective anger is branching out due social media communication. If you surf the hashtag #megacomplaint on Twitter, you can see the campaign is gaining a degree of momentum.

Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Re: The Pirate Party: Justice For Legitimate Ex-Users Of Meg

Postby zbeast » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:54 pm

Believe it or not... Iv'e only ever used mega upload for transferring "legal" files.
I often have large project files that I can't mail, or ftp with a customer because of there firewall or
mail server won't handle larger attachments.

Currently I had to scramble to come up with a new way to get files in and out of the company without breaking IT's security model.
Which currently is.. VPN-ing to my home network. Transferring the file there the emailing the customer the URL of where the file is located. kind of a drag really.
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby Digital_Exc » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:58 am

I hardly ever used MU, didn't want to pay for the faster speed.. but when I did I always downloaded some copyrighted material (which is perfectly legal in my country).

I find it an odd world where a 'pirate-party' has to defend the rights of the legitimate user... No word from any of our chosen representatives about the disappearance of the legal files (along with the 'illegal' (depending on where you are residing) ones). People that had their personal files stored in the MU file locker can't get those files back and no one (but the pirateparty) is standing up for them..
Digital_Exc

Postby craftycorner » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:57 am

The mission against MU by the US Government is a trawling mission. Everyone is gonna get shitcanned, legit or not.
My God, its full of files!

Crafty
craftycorner

Return to Tech/Internet/Other News