Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

is this true about fasttrack

Discussions about the FastTrack network and any clients that connect to it
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

is this true about fasttrack

Postby help1 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:33 pm

Morle reiterated Sharman's stand that the company cannot monitor or control what its users do, adding that Sharman does not have the ability to force people to download new versions of the software.

Morle said Kazaa can promote the use of a newer version of the software but cannot force people to upload it. He said all that the technology can do is pop a small window to tell the person that a new version is available, which the person can close or reject and will not prevent the person from using the Kazaa system.
help1

Postby DaBlade » Wed Dec 08, 2004 6:40 pm

A: They can't force anyone to install their newest crapware, but they can make older versions not work (by changing the protocol a bit), even if they say they won't..shitman are untrustworthy
B: They probably can't monitor what's shared, but they can add filters into KaZaA that block out the latest movies, tracks etc...
C: Who f*cking cares about ft anyhow?
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

thanks

Postby help1 » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:02 pm

thank you for your help but to your remark on kazza can filter content out, but how can they add a filter and make them work with out being centralized? and if kazza is shut down is that the end of fasttrack? 2 more things, is that true for all decentralized systems? all you need to do to shut people out is change the protocol a bit and programs and the old client will not work why would shame make a program lake that thanks
it is not trulely decentralized is it
thanks
Last edited by help1 on Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
help1

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:05 pm

Help me with your engrish, I can't tell what you are asking now.
You see us as you want to see us...
In the simplest terms, in the most
convenient definitions.
Mel_Smiley_VIP

Postby DaBlade » Wed Dec 08, 2004 7:20 pm

LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Postby internet.news » Thu Dec 09, 2004 6:53 pm

DaBlade wrote:A: They can't force anyone to install their newest crapware, but they can make older versions not work (by changing the protocol a bit), even if they say they won't..shitman are untrustworthy
B: They probably can't monitor what's shared, but they can add filters into KaZaA that block out the latest movies, tracks etc...
C: Who f*cking cares about ft anyhow?

True Words :D :cry:
Share, share... :-)
internet.news

Postby Psycho Ced » Thu Dec 09, 2004 8:03 pm

Apparently 2,395,677 users. :!: ... more then all but one other network.
Psycho Ced
Psycho+

Postby ashton » Thu Dec 09, 2004 9:05 pm

Phil was wrong, the upgrade dialog is gone from all FT Stack apps. Seems like the CTO of Sharman would know, but hey he lied to me when I was working for them. :x
"There is a very thin line between genius and madness"
-Julian
ashton

Postby tm, » Fri Dec 10, 2004 12:51 am

I would have expected the RIAA to have collected, disassembled, and analyzed every release of Kazaa and other fasttrack clients, as well as subpoenaed the source code for all releases. It seems they failed to do this. I know if I was part of RIAA's legal team, I would seek out experts in that field, including anyone who was involved in reverse-engineering the P2P network or application in question.

Morle is obviously playing the know-nothing idiot whenever he answers questions about Kazaa. His 'duh?' court strategy might very well work, since the judge (as with any possible jury) is unlikely to be sharp enough about P2P methodology to know when the court's been fed a pack of lies and deceptions.

The company they hired to provide 'expert' testimony, Deloitte Forensic Technology Group, does not even have any experience with P2P.

Ashton - you might even consider volunteering to be an expert court witness to clear up the courtroom deceptions taking place. Not only do expert witnesses tend to often be well paid, (sometimes even lavishly compensated) but in this case maybe even get a free mid-winter vacation in sunny Australia. Hey, don't laugh, it could happen. There have been a few civil court cases with high-paid 'experts' flown in from all over the world to take the stand.
tm,

Postby ashton » Fri Dec 10, 2004 1:06 am

tm, check your pm's
"There is a very thin line between genius and madness"
-Julian
ashton

Return to FastTrack/Kazaa