Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

question

Discussions about the FastTrack network and any clients that connect to it
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

question

Postby help1 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:38 pm

The experts' claims center on technology for detecting copyrighted works through "fingerprinting" (sometimes also called "hashing") technology that identifies songs by analyzing the content itself. Such technology, which is provided by several firms including Audible Magic, GraceNote, and MediaGuide, could be used to search the network for identifiable files, which the KaZaA software would then "filter" by removing them from the appropriate host computer through the "spyware" that it installs on all nodes in the network.

could this idea really work by using kazza own spyware all ready installed on your computer to control and filtering files out, do they have to change the client some way or can they just do this if so all Decentralization p2p networks are in trouble if they have spywere in it?
thank you for your help
help1

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:24 pm

I think the user would have to agree to let them do that. So no, no one in their right mind would agree to let a company control their downloads like that.
You see us as you want to see us...
In the simplest terms, in the most
convenient definitions.
Mel_Smiley_VIP

thaks

Postby help1 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 6:52 pm

so you saying that you have to chance kazza program to do this
the company could not do this as program is know
help1

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:05 pm

The only thing I think can be added is a word search block. They would need to add such a fuction to the program for hash blocking to work.

I'm not 100%, because I put nothing past Sharman, but I don't think they can filter content like that.

Edit; Are you working on any ongoing legal cases?
Last edited by Mel_Smiley_VIP on Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
convenient definitions.
Mel_Smiley_VIP

thank you

Postby help1 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:18 pm

thank for help
help1

thanks

Postby help1 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:42 pm

no i am just a user if spywhere or addwere can be programed remotely to filter out files in a discentroledlized p2p networks by companies you can kiss p2p good bye just by using those programs all ready installed on your computer it would be over the war will be win for pulic anyway think about it that is how they make there money
that is all
thanks for the info :)
help1

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Sat Dec 04, 2004 7:45 pm

If this were "spywhere or addwere" the user would have to agree to instal it. No one would.
convenient definitions.
Mel_Smiley_VIP

Postby help1 » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:03 pm

the spywhere they have in the in the progran know can't do that see i don't know
help1

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:29 pm

the spywhere they have in the in the progran know can't do that see i don't know

uhhhhh, do what now???
convenient definitions.
Mel_Smiley_VIP

Re: question

Postby Asuran » Sat Dec 04, 2004 8:41 pm

help1 wrote:The experts' claims center on technology for detecting copyrighted works through "fingerprinting" (sometimes also called "hashing") technology that identifies songs by analyzing the content itself. Such technology, which is provided by several firms including Audible Magic, GraceNote, and MediaGuide, could be used to search the network for identifiable files, which the KaZaA software would then "filter" by removing them from the appropriate host computer through the "spyware" that it installs on all nodes in the network.

could this idea really work by using kazza own spyware all ready installed on your computer to control and filtering files out, do they have to change the client some way or can they just do this if so all Decentralization p2p networks are in trouble if they have spywere in it?
thank you for your help

To use such a filter there would have to be a central database of material that is supposed to be filtered. Since Kazaa is supposed to be decentralized in nature, I doubt the RIAA will be allowed to cripple the technology by enforcing it to depend on a centralized database.

Also just altering one bit in the mp3 header would change it's hash value completely, so there really isn't much hope for such method. You could easily generate a 10 000 different versions of basically same mp3 file just by adding a few bits as a id3v2 tag e.g.
Asuran

Postby help1 » Sun Dec 05, 2004 7:40 am

thank you for the info
help1

Postby Vulture » Sun Dec 05, 2004 10:25 am

Mel_Smiley_VIP wrote:If this were "spywhere or addwere" the user would have to agree to install it. No one would.
So nobody has ever installed KaZaA then?
Vulture

Return to FastTrack/Kazaa