Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Switching horses in midstream.

Discussions about the FastTrack network and any clients that connect to it
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Switching horses in midstream.

Postby WonkeyWillow » Sat Nov 27, 2004 8:19 pm

I got a little question. I've been using Sharaza (a Gnutella2 client) for a while now, and have finally realized that it really isn't any good for downloading very large files, due to the small user base. Case in point: I'm currently trying to download a 3.452 GB file. I've noticed that the speed seems to drop exponentially as the progress increases. I assume this is because the program must become increasingly selective in picking sources that have the parts of the file I need. But right now, having downloaded roughly 98.5%, it seems to have almost stopped completely.

My question is if it's at all possible for me to ditch Shareaza and resume downloading my file in Kazaa (without starting over). My instincts tell me this probably won't work, but hey- the only stupid question is the one not asked.
WonkeyWillow

Postby iNaNimAtE » Sat Nov 27, 2004 9:43 pm

I don't believe so, but why would you want to start it over with Kazaa?
Attention P2P goers! Learn how to tag your media!
iNaNimAtE

Postby SlyckChuck » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:04 pm

Stay the hell away from fastcrap. :idea:
SlyckChuck

Postby WonkeyWillow » Sat Nov 27, 2004 10:48 pm

iNaNimAtE wrote:I don't believe so, but why would you want to start it over with Kazaa?

I don't want to start it over with Kazaa. I want to know if I can somehow import the incomplete portion of the file I've downlaoded with Shareaza into Kazaa and finish downloading the final 1 percent from Kazaa. The reason for doing this is that my download appears to be stalled, and I don't want to redownload the entire thing. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for the reply.
WonkeyWillow

Postby iNaNimAtE » Sat Nov 27, 2004 11:40 pm

WonkeyWillow wrote:I don't want to start it over with Kazaa. I want to know if I can somehow import the incomplete portion of the file I've downlaoded with Shareaza into Kazaa and finish downloading the final 1 percent from Kazaa. The reason for doing this is that my download appears to be stalled, and I don't want to redownload the entire thing. Sorry for the confusion. Thanks for the reply.

Sorry if I was not clear. I understand that, but I'm asking: Why Kazaa? Most people here would advise against FastTrack.

But regardless, I don't believe so.
Attention P2P goers! Learn how to tag your media!
iNaNimAtE

Postby WonkeyWillow » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:00 am

As I understand, FastTrack has a MUCH larger user base than the most popular "open" networks combined. I just thought Kazaa could possibly help me out of a jam (I would've removed it and run Adaware afterwords).

But all that is academic at this point, as my download finally began moving sometime this morning, and completed just minutes thereafter. Phew!
WonkeyWillow

size is irrelevant

Postby moculon » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:12 am

issues like a poor search horizon, bad hashing, errors in downloaded files resulting in copies on the network that fail hash etc etc etc all make the extra users pretty much useless on fasttrack.
'just because you feel it, doesn't mean it's there' radiohead.
moculon

Postby BigWillyStyle42 » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:38 pm

eDonkey is now the largest network, not FastCrap.
BigWillyStyle42

Postby FamundaCheese » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:56 pm

I have this problem often when getting towards the end of a large file. My solution: pause, resume, search for more sources. Works 90% of the time.
FamundaCheese

Postby BigWillyStyle42 » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:56 am

It is completely normal for a the end of a download to take the longest in a segmented download program. If it downloaded faster it wouldn't be the last piece downloaded :P
BigWillyStyle42

Return to FastTrack/Kazaa