Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Inter-P2P swapping! What's that!!!?

Discussions about the FastTrack network and any clients that connect to it
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby ElsaPaak » Mon Oct 11, 2004 11:38 pm

Okay, so maybe you have this problem, maybe you don't. I use about 5 or 6 different progs for filesharing. And sometimes I search for a film (big file) with tow progs simultaneously. I turn them on, and subsequently go to bed or something. The next morning it appears that, let's say WinMX has downed 20 percent of the film, and Kazaa has got 50 percent of the same film. File compare shows that these are the same files to the last byte.
Now, what I would want to do is to put the partial Kazaa-download (of course I've changed the name etc with the .dat file viewer ) into Winmx, and continue with that. Because this film is not available anymore on Kazaa but it is so on Winmx. But alas, this is not possible! AAAARgh!!
I have loads of partials files downloaded with one prog, while it seems abundantly available on another prog! but to download again, while you have like 90 percent of the movie in question is a bit much.

So:
Is there a way around this? Are there programs who can do this? Or a workaround?

Okay, the one exception is Soulseek and Winmx, you can copy Winmx-partials into Soulseek, because Soulseek simply doesn't care, much like The First Rule Of Italian Driving as related by Franco Bertollini of the Ferrari team (an inspired Raul Julia) in the The Gumball Rally: "What's-a-behind me, does not-a-matter." ;)

But between Sharezaa and Winmx this seems not possible! Does anybody know anything about partial file administration in Shareaza? Or anything else helpful?

And yes, yes, file integrity is an issue of course. But with a good filecompare prog we can work around this.
.............\\\|////.......
.............\\ - - //.....
.............( @ @ )......
+oOOo== (_)== oOOo===+
"Anchovies, anchovies, you're so delicious, I love you more than all the other fishes" - Dawn Summers.
ElsaPaak

Please Dont SPAM

Postby tm, » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:17 am

it's better to post thread just ONE TIME than copy the same post into several different sections. Especially when you post both copies at the same time.

definitely frowned upon.
tm,

Postby FAH-Q » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:26 am

Dude. You wont get answers any faster by spam-posting....It just pisses people of.
What was was, and what is is, and this what is, is whats happening right now. ----Paul Teutul Sr.
FAH-Q

Postby Unbiased_Opinion » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:30 am

FAH-Q wrote:Dude. You wont get answers any faster by spam-posting....It just pisses people of.

First of all it's a she, and second of all, she doesn't care.
Unbiased_Opinion

Postby FAH-Q » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:41 am

He....she....it doesnt matter to much to me....Everyone is just 'dude' on the net. 8)
Ok ok....Dude-ette.....stop spaming!!!!
What was was, and what is is, and this what is, is whats happening right now. ----Paul Teutul Sr.
FAH-Q

Postby ElsaPaak » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:57 am

well SORRY, okay? Can we get on topic now? and O-O, get over yourself and your 'can't get a date' problem, don't take it out on ME.

I mean, SHEEZ, 3 posts, that's hardly spamming, now, is it? Isn't there a rule against stupidly-exaggarating-because-you-don't-know-the-answer? ;)
+oOOo== (_)== oOOo===+
"Anchovies, anchovies, you're so delicious, I love you more than all the other fishes" - Dawn Summers.
ElsaPaak

Postby Unbiased_Opinion » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:10 am

ElsaPaak wrote:well SORRY, okay? Can we get on topic now? and O-O, get over yourself and your 'can't get a date' problem, don't take it out on ME.

Oooh, well seeing you can't spell, exactly who are targeting?

You have been here awhile and stirred alot of shit, you should know better than to spam like that. Take your shitty insults elsewhere, cause no one wants to hear them. :idea:

EDIT:

ElsaPaak wrote:I mean, SHEEZ, 3 posts, that's hardly spamming, now, is it? Isn't there a rule against stupidly-exaggarating-because-you-don't-know-the-answer? ;)

Posting in three different sections the exact same question is SPAM! And it won't get you an answer any quicker. I have some comments on your question, but I am not going to help someone as childish as you.
Unbiased_Opinion

Postby SlyckChuck » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:31 am

Hey I aint ripping at anyone but is there a legit question? Let it be addressed already. Seems like too many get offended by the word spam. Elsa please elaborate so this might be more objective. Sorry if you felt dissed, it is kind of a tight group you deal with. The floor is yours.. :wink:
The 80's Still Rule
SlyckChuck

Postby ElsaPaak » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:46 am

the questions are in my first post.

And U-U and me, well, we go way back, he's just a gXXXky little b....c crying coz some girl got in his face. He's probably enjoying the fact that he finally got response from a female.

uh-oh, get a life, and stop harassing me, or admit I pose interesting questions you don't know the answer to.
And your nitpicking about spelling, THATS childish. At least TRY to be a little bit original when you attempt to insult me.
:roll:

:roll: :roll:
+oOOo== (_)== oOOo===+
ElsaPaak

Postby tm, » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:46 am

Unbiased_Opinion wrote:First of all it's a she

You can often tell a lot about who people are by their writing style. For instance, if a person comes across as cocky and combative, it's often a young male. But then most of you already knew that. You may notice that a lot of times what people tell you about who they are is inconsistent with their online actions. Don't always believe what people tell you. Try to figure it out for yourself, and trust your intuition. That's all I'm going to say :D
tm,

Postby SlyckTom » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:04 am

Ok, some of you may notice that this thread got a lot shorter. That is because I DELETED posts that were inflammatory or derogatory. So if you continue to flame, your posts will simply get deleted...

Moving on, and I dont want to hear any explanation...
SlyckTom

Postby Unbiased_Opinion » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:06 am

No explanation, just sorry. (That it got that far)
Unbiased_Opinion

Postby SlyckChuck » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:10 am

Elsa please do not inflame U-O. U-O have some patience already. Ask your question plainly. I hope I can answer it or one will to your satisfaction I hope.

UPDATE - From what I saw you might have to remember your own memory. That will dictate how fast things go. Also include what type of connection you have because that too affects how fast something is downloaded. Hope I helped. 8)
The 80's Still Rule
SlyckChuck

Postby Asuran » Tue Oct 12, 2004 4:39 am

Different programs use different ways to mark what parts are downloaded. If you know how to interpret the incomplete file format I suppose it could be possible in theory to grab a hex editor and cut and paste the downloaded parts. BUT I think it's going to be too much trouble to do.
Asuran

Postby j_dogg » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:36 am

What you're asking for maybe possible, but such a program isn't available to my knowledge.

One way to combat it would be to use a network that has better retention of files. You shou;d be fine with G2 or eDonkey because both of them have very wide searches.

Also, when you pick a download, even when it's rare try to get a many sources as possible as this will ensure that someon doesn;t go ffline and you're left in the lurch.

From memory you're on dial up. So yea grabbing a whoel movie all over again could eb amajor bitch, just leave the current rpgram on as much as possible... hopefully a source will be found.
j_dogg

Postby TDO » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:50 am

Theoretically speaking, you might be able to download it from yourself .. though I never tried it - here's what I'd do ..

Let's say we have a file in bittorrent and in edonkey ..

With one computer you would use shareza to share one of them to resume the other ...

Absolutely no idea if that would work ..
TDO

Postby notbob » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:26 pm

why waste bandwidth on 3 copies of the same file?

devote all that bandwidth to one and be done with it

no need to make things more complicated than necessary
notbob

Return to FastTrack/Kazaa