Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Help!

Discussions about the FastTrack network and any clients that connect to it
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Help!

Postby mystikTK » Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:54 pm

I've been using Kazaa Lite since it was first released, but this situation has me somewhat confused.

Usually, my firewall (Kerio) blocks the Kazaa website (under the "Web" tab in the main program). However, today, my firewall gave me the option of permitting or denying an outgoing connection. This seemed a bit strange, however, that's not my question, as I don't see how an outgoing connection could have caused this. I felt it was worth mentioning though.

My problem today is that the website became kazaakpp.com. Now, I could be wrong, and please correct me if I am, but not only does this site look "suspicious", but I don't remember it being the default site.

Can anyone confirm for me if this is the correct site, and, fi not, tell me what it is and does and how to get rid of it? I'm about to run an Ad-Aware scan just in case.

Here's a screenshot:

The Kazaa "web" folder has files called "Main", "Start" and "Top", which I believe to be the default sites for Kazaa and, for what it's worth, they look familiar. Here's a screen of the "Main" file.

mystikTK

Re: Help!

Postby iNaNimAtE » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:40 pm

mystikTK wrote:Usually, my firewall (Kerio) blocks the Kazaa website (under the "Web" tab in the main program). However, today, my firewall gave me the option of permitting or denying an outgoing connection. This seemed a bit strange, however, that's not my question, as I don't see how an outgoing connection could have caused this. I felt it was worth mentioning though.

An outgoing connection is you trying to access the website.

mystikTK wrote:Can anyone confirm for me if this is the correct site, and, fi not, tell me what it is and does and how to get rid of it? I'm about to run an Ad-Aware scan just in case.

That looks like a scam site if I've ever seen one. I see sites like that all the time, and they only mean two things to me: tracking cookies and adware.

It was probably spyware that did it, so run Ad-aware and Spybot and see what you get.
Attention P2P goers! Learn how to tag your media!
iNaNimAtE

Postby mystikTK » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:53 pm

Ad-Aware didn't come up with anything and it's not a cookie.

Kazaakpp.com used to be the official site for Kazaa Lite. I'll just re-install Kazaa.

Is Tools the reccomended version?
mystikTK

Postby iNaNimAtE » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:55 pm

Ever considered ditching FastTrack?
Attention P2P goers! Learn how to tag your media!
iNaNimAtE

Postby Unbiased_Opinion » Thu Aug 26, 2004 7:59 pm

I hope you mean reinstall Kazaa Lite (if you have to use such a puke network).
Unbiased_Opinion

Postby KLITETOOLS » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:45 am

the 3 htm files you are refering to, run klite's web.

the start htm is calling main and top htm, top is address bar and main is the body and start.htm brings them together for you. :D
KLITETOOLS

Help!

Postby SlyckChuck » Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:58 am

The answer to your plea is in the forums. there are many other apps available besides fastcraps way to industry sued hell!! :idea:
SlyckChuck

Postby HouseCrowd » Fri Aug 27, 2004 5:45 am

Just go to >Options >Kazaa Lite K++ options and you should see 'Start page' under the K++ options tab. I would just try changing it back there first to point to the local start page - it should then stay as that.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby mystikTK » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:12 pm

Well, what other options are the besides FastTrack and Kazaa.

I have WinMX and I don't like the idea of having to donate to SoulSeek to get ahead of the ques.
mystikTK

Postby miner » Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:45 pm

ares, piolet and limewire
miner

Postby KLITETOOLS » Fri Aug 27, 2004 11:24 pm

blubster is good for music and edk is great for apps
KLITETOOLS

Postby DaBlade » Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:28 am

mystikTK wrote:Well, what other options are the besides FastTrack and Kazaa.

I have WinMX and I don't like the idea of having to donate to SoulSeek to get ahead of the ques.

I like MX. It's great for apps and smaller files like music. However I recommend using it with for example BitTorrent so you can get your bigger files faster. Plus, MX is full of friendly people that will start you if you PM them and ask. Or they will trade you(the bigger sharers).
I just downloaded a 442MB Star Trek Voyager episode (6X09 - The Voyager Conspiracy) over night. I just put it to auto retry, and auto-queue, flipped on MXmonitor and just asked the guy if he could let me download. He did, and all he wanted in return was NOD32 antivirus. Which he got.
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Postby mystikTK » Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:03 pm

DaBlade wrote:
mystikTK wrote:However I recommend using it with for example BitTorrent

I'm not really a fan of BT. It's too slow.

Which is the best, Ares, Piolet or Limewire?
mystikTK

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:10 pm

BT too slow? Say what? I was downloading about 5 movies a day before I got a letter from my ISP complaining about it. Downloads start slow but BT has a snowball effect. After a bit, you'll max out your connection. But, it also depends on the torrent. Torrents with one seed and a small number of peers can be slow. I would say BT is one of the most fast P2P ways to get files.
You see us as you want to see us...
In the simplest terms, in the most
convenient definitions.
Mel_Smiley_VIP

Postby mystikTK » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:15 pm

What BT client were you using?

Right now, I'm just looking for a prog for downloading single files, although I do occasionally download movies and full albums, which is hwy I'd consider using BT again.
mystikTK

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:25 pm

I liked Bittornado. It worked really well for me. Give the download a chance to get going. It will start slow but once you start uploading to other users you will connect to more peers. Its really fast. I was using Bitornado while running winmx and it ran just fine. I just restricted my upload speed on winmx so my BT speed would be faster.
You see us as you want to see us...
In the simplest terms, in the most
convenient definitions.
Mel_Smiley_VIP

Postby mystikTK » Wed Sep 01, 2004 11:28 pm

Alright, thanks. I might give it a try.
mystikTK

Return to FastTrack/Kazaa