Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Kazaa Media Desktop Lite 2.6

Discussions about the FastTrack network and any clients that connect to it
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby Mrs. 2p » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:08 am

DaBlade wrote:I ONLY use Spy Sweeper in cases in which Spybot was unable to delete a/several files. So go ahead and call me a hypocrite.

no, don't think I will, but thank you.

I'm just wondering what it is you fin so wrong in Ad-Aware, since you're always recommending people not to use it. Up to now, the only reason I've seen you offer is because there is a paid version. But as far as I'm concerned, that doesn't make for a poor piece of software, and, even if it did, the free version is great anyways. In any case, if that were a good reason for bashing an application, then SpySweeper would hardly be an alternative, because it's payware all the way through.

I've only ever heard of good reviews of Ad-Aware, except for you...
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Don't you just love a good read?
Mrs. 2p

Postby tm, » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:38 am

2pstudent wrote:I've only ever heard of good reviews of Ad-Aware

The reviews I have seen usually put Ad-Aware in second place, right below Spybot, but better than all the paid applications - a few of which were even stealing their code or database.

I started using Spybot during the time when Ad-Aware had stopped updating their spyware definitions(this lasted for many months), and I never really went back even after trying Ad-aware's new version. I like the layout and features of Spybot (as well as their donationware policy), but I have nothing bad to say about Ad-Aware, at least not anymore.
tm,

Postby Mrs. 2p » Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:51 am

tm wrote:
2pstudent wrote: I have nothing bad to say about Ad-Aware, at least not anymore.

which is my point. :D Why all the bashing? Personally, I use them both, just to be on the safe side. Couldn't really say if one is *better* than the other. But if you feel so... At any rate. the point is, why do you keep putting it down, halo/dablade?
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Don't you just love a good read?
Mrs. 2p

Postby tm, » Sat Aug 21, 2004 5:56 am

DaBlade wrote:I've heard about another called KazaaBeGone, but that sounds like a complete uninstaller to me, rather than a spyware uninstaller(judging from the name).

Just a suggestion, DaBlade, but why not look up something before recommending it? It only takes a moment. In the case of KazaaBegone, it has not been updated for over a year, so it is useless for any recent version of Kazaa. But it gets worse. Majorgeeks even posted a warning on their website:

Warning: This version has a bug that can cause your Internet connection to be broken when removing New.Net, WebHancer or CommonName.

That was a very careless mistake by the developer, since it has been well known for long time before that spyware such as New.net would corrupt a pc's TCP/IP stack if was improperly removed (that's why it came with its own uninstaller)

Before Ad-Aware came out, I remember there were quite a few simple utilities that would remove Kazaa and its spyware. Like KazaaBeGone, most are long-abandoned and do not deserve a mention, since it's crucial for any product-specific uninstaller to be kept up-to-date.
tm,

Postby SharedHolder » Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:21 am

SharedHolder

Postby Dark_ronin » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:22 pm

A message from the admins
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

HTML is OFF
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
Dark_ronin

Previous

Return to FastTrack/Kazaa