Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Kazaa Media Desktop Lite 2.6

Discussions about the FastTrack network and any clients that connect to it
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Kazaa Media Desktop Lite 2.6

Postby diddykong5 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:07 pm

I have been using Kazaa K++ Lite 2.4.3 for some time now. I have just downloaded Kazaa Media Desktop Lite 2.6, and was wondering if you guys can advise which I should stick with, or get. Does Kazaa MD LITE still have spyware, is it as safe/good as Kazaa Lite 2.4.3, pro's and cons please?
diddykong5

Postby DaBlade » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:19 pm

That's fairly simple to find out. Go to http://www.spybot.info download Spybot Search and Destroy, update it, and then see if it detects spyware at KMDlite's directory.
Although this sounds much like a scam to me. If it truly is shitware, then go to http://www.klitetools.com/MM/klt.html to download a real version of Kazaa Lite.
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Postby diddykong5 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:58 pm

I've downloaded K Lite Tools K++, it seems the same as K Lite K++ , is it, someone please help and advise.

Or should I use Kazaa Media Desktop Lite 2.6 ?
diddykong5

Postby DaBlade » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:02 pm

It looks the same, because it's based on the same K-lite version, K-Lite 2.4.3, however, it isn't. Forget all about KMD Lite. It's surely crap. Uninstall it, and then run Spybot SD to clean up the mess it left behind.

DaBlade

Postby diddykong5 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:07 pm

OK, I've un installed KMD Lite, and run Ad Aware, deleted a few files! Is K Tools better than 2.4.3 then? What are the key differences?
Thanks.
diddykong5

Postby DaBlade » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:16 pm

New supernodes, loads of tools to work with(look at the extension menu), support for magnet links and a lot more.
However, concidering FastTrack's current condition, I whould advise you to use a different network, or at least PeerGuardian to give you a little protection from the RIAA.
Alternative networks: WinMX Peer Network, BitTorrent and maybe DirectConnect(DC++), however, that's more for experienced users.

DaBlade

Postby DaBlade » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:17 pm

diddykong5 wrote: and run Ad Aware, deleted a few files!
Thanks.

Forget Adaware. Only the pay version is any good. Take my word for it, use SpyBot Search and Destroy from now on. Only run Adaware after Spybot cleans up, to ensure that Spybot didn't forget anything.

DaBlade

Postby diddykong5 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:21 pm

Right ok, so I have to pay for Spybot?

Kazaa Lite K++ 2.4.3

OR

Kazaa Lite Tools K++ ?
diddykong5

Postby diddykong5 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:24 pm

I have Shareaza too, but Kazaa for the moment is still better for some files/speeds. I have Bad IP updater, and Protowall, which is better than Peer Guardian as it works on all types UDP etc.
diddykong5

Postby DaBlade » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:25 pm

First of all, Spybot Search and Destroy, has been and will always be FREEWARE! http://security.kolla.de/ http://www.safer-networking.org/ http://www.spybot.info .

Second, K-Lite 2.4.3 is VERY old and outdated. Forget about it.
Kazaa Lite Tools K++ is the only one I can recommend you, of the FastTrack cliens. But as I said earlier, it's smarter to use a different network than FastTrack. It's being probed by the RIAA for lawsuit victims, and is stuffed full of fakes and viruses.

DaBlade

Postby diddykong5 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:31 pm

I have Spybot 1.3, any particular do's and donts?

I will use K Tools, keep the bad IP updater upto date using Blocklist Manager, and use Protowall. Shareaza is what I use most which is far safer.
diddykong5

Postby DaBlade » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:38 pm

Do's; Update it all the time if possible.
Integrate it with SpywareBlaster(To stop installations of spyware from taking place)
Immunize it.
Make sure TeaTimer is installed with Spybot, cuz it protects the system settings. If not, reinstall spybot, and select Teatimer
Check for program updates from time to time(spybot.info)
Dont's; Don't use any of the advanced tools, unless you know what you're doing. This could seriously harm your spywarefilled box...err...computer.
Don't forget about the Do's. :lol:

DaBlade

Postby Dark_ronin » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:41 pm

halo u dont have adaware plus or profi
A message from the admins
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

HTML is OFF
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
Dark_ronin

Postby DaBlade » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:45 pm

Nope. I use to have it, and I have tried every new version so far, but I still don't like it. I like my current protection system:
Spyware, adware, hijacks, cookies: Spybot SD, SpySweeper, SpywareBlaster, HiJackThis.
Virii: NOD32
Firewall: Sygate Personal Firewall Pro
P2P: PeerGuardian++ 2.02, KLTK++ Blocklist
Browser: Mozilla FireFox 0.9.3

DaBlade

Postby tm, » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:46 pm

You might want to read through this thread (in particular Ashton's comments):
K-Lite is Dieing..

That should explain the current situation with K-lite. So for fasttrack, you might be better off using KCeasy than K-lite, unless and until K-Lite has cracked the supernode problem.
tm,

Postby Mrs. 2p » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:17 pm

ashton has also recently commented on how SpySweeper searches for filenames rather than bitmaps or something of the sort. So it would be highly prone to give false positives and is a very weak piece of software anyways.

By the way, halo, it is trialware. You bash ad-aware constantly based purely on the fact that there is a pay version, while everyone agrees that the free version is still excellent. Yet you recommend Webroot's SpySweeper, which you obivously have to crack or re-install every time you wish to update in order to be protected for free... :?
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Don't you just love a good read?
Mrs. 2p

Postby DaBlade » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:34 pm

I ONLY use Spy Sweeper in cases in which Spybot was unable to delete a/several files. So go ahead and call me a hypocrite.

DaBlade

Postby diddykong5 » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:48 pm

Anyone know how I can change the target of the 'my shared folder' button inside K Lite tools? I can locate it but see no easy way to correct the target. Its set as the master shared foler drive, but I actually have my shared folder elsewhere!?
diddykong5

Postby DaBlade » Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:53 pm

good question. I haven't noticed that before...I think you gotta set it in the installer(aka reinstall)...

DaBlade

Postby miner » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:00 pm

DaBlade wrote:
diddykong5 wrote: and run Ad Aware, deleted a few files!
Thanks.

Forget Adaware. Only the pay version is any good. Take my word for it, use SpyBot Search and Destroy from now on. Only run Adaware after Spybot cleans up, to ensure that Spybot didn't forget anything.

well, call me lazy but ad-aware goes through my system pretty quick while spybot takes a lot longer so therefore i prefer ad-aware.
miner

Postby tm, » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:02 pm

2pstudent wrote:ashton has also recently commented on how SpySweeper searches for filenames rather than bitmaps or something of the sort. So it would be highly prone to give false positives and is a very weak piece of software anyways.

By the way, halo, it is trialware. You bash ad-aware constantly based purely on the fact that there is a pay version, while everyone agrees that the free version is still excellent. Yet you recommend Webroot's SpySweeper, which you obivously have to crack or re-install every time you wish to update in order to be protected for free... :?

That just seems to be human nature. Most people will usually judge the most expensive item to be the best - and hence the most desirable. In reality the exact opposite is often the case - and the least expensive (or free) choice is in many cases superior. Spybot S&D and Ad-aware are 2 such examples.

The same thing applies with software versions - most people will insist on having the lastest numbered release even if older versions do a better job. (Winamp v.2/v.3 comes to mind) Well, enough of my rambling :)

Ashton was talking about a bitprint, which is a file's checksum or hash value that positively identifies it.
tm,

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:05 pm

I'm not sure because I have not used any form of fasttrack for so long, but, wont most Adaware like programs still detect adware in the lite versions because of dummy files needed to make Klite versions function?
You see us as you want to see us...
In the simplest terms, in the most
convenient definitions.
Mel_Smiley_VIP

Postby Dark_ronin » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:39 pm

i thought klt didnt need dummyfiles,dietk and kceasy need dummyfiles because they are kinda a "leeching" tool off KMD that just takes the adware and spyware away

my 0.02
A message from the admins
Signature:
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit

HTML is OFF
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
Dark_ronin

Postby tm, » Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:41 pm

Kazaa used to check for Cydoor's CD_Clint.dll file before it would run, so after cleaning out all the spyware, you would have to put in a dummy CD_clint.dll in it's place, or else Kazaa would not start.

That was a long time ago since I last did that - so it might be different now.

No one has yet mentioned Diet-K. It should be everyone's first choice to remove Kazaa's spyware components.
tm,

Postby DaBlade » Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:05 pm

I've heard about another called KazaaBeGone, but that sounds like a complete uninstaller to me, rather than a spyware uninstaller(judging from the name).

DaBlade

Next

Return to FastTrack/Kazaa