Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

K-Lite is Dieing..

Discussions about the FastTrack network and any clients that connect to it
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby ashton » Mon Jul 12, 2004 9:59 am

tm wrote:This supernode problem is only a very minor irritant - and very easily fixed.

If you use KaZuperNodes, you can test out all supernodes, add new nodes or delete bad nodes from list, and connect to any supernode of your choice. Getting back the full fasttrack network is quick and easy - if you really want it ...

Anyway, small networks can have their advantages. For one thing, if you can find what you are looking for, downloads are generally a lot faster the smaller the network.
Well true and false, the segregate network is mostly KL and iMesh, and we all know that KL users don't share...
"There is a very thin line between genius and madness"
-Julian
ashton

Postby tm, » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:05 am

I need to change what I said earlier (I should also read any new posts before I hit the submit button) I was testing out Klite just now and it is worse than I thought - usability wise. One problem is network stability is poor - if you lose a supernode connection (and I did a few times) you can get bumped to the "other" network - and maybe have a hard time getting back.

Also the small network's size is extremely volatile, with the stated size varying between about 60k and 100k. With more testing, I was getting the regular 2 million user network maybe only one time out ot 5 or 10 attempts connecting at random. I wonder why at other times it usually connected to the regular Fasttrack network but rarely now? - and if this might have anything to do with Imesh reporting (Slyck frontpage) zero users?

-- and I figured that KLite would have more users than 100k - maybe a lot of them switched to KCeasy.

It might not be so bad - with Imesh being about a third the size of Fasttrack - and proportionally targeted by RIAA far less than fasttrack in the past, it might be a much safer network than Fasttrack, or maybe not, depending on whether RIAA uses K-Lite or Kazaa (or whichever network client)for its evil purposes :twisted:

ashton wrote:however because the function disable_networklicense has been removed from the FastTrack stack because the recording industry would be able to proove they could shut FT down

Well, as I recall Sharman said that it was because of the change of fasttrack supernode protocol (v.1.3) that Morpheus (still using old protocol) was unable to connect. Those damn backdoors! :evil:
tm,

message address to ashton

Postby fire01 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:17 am

ashton the same problem is ocuuring whit the official version of kazaa media desktop v 2.6 so you can say kazaa lite messed up since the official version is doing the same thing.
fire01

Re: message address to ashton

Postby ashton » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:22 am

fire01 wrote:ashton the same problem is ocuuring whit the official version of kazaa media desktop v 2.6 so you can say kazaa lite messed up since the official version is doing the same thing.
Well yes, the newer clients can connect to this small virtual cluster because it supports all encryption tpyes. On a side note when you are on this other cluster, do a search and look at the results, it's mostly iMesh(fileshare) or kazaalite, so that prooves my theory correct that KL and iMesh are getting pooled.
-Julian
ashton

K-Lite is Dieing..

Postby SlyckChuck » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:24 am

Hmmm.. problem with k-lite & kazaa.... not surprising in my opinion. Most here assume that kazaa has been on decline for quite some time. With the court case, it is safe to say it will probably continue to fade away as more p2p users now see better choices available.
The 80's Still Rule
SlyckChuck

Re: K-Lite is Dieing..

Postby ashton » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:26 am

ln_solitude wrote:Hmmm.. problem with k-lite & kazaa.... not surprising in my opinion. Most here assume that kazaa has been on decline for quite some time. With the court case, it is safe to say it will probably continue to fade away as more p2p users now see better choices available.
Yes and if you look back through slyck to december you will see that i predicted that kazaalite would get segregated from the network, I even said for the reasons i mentioned above, however I didn't expect it to take this long. :wink:
-Julian
ashton

Postby tm, » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:29 am

ashton wrote: because the protocol is the same the network is getting scrambled and really messy(slow), you may occasionally connect to the main network and it is possible for a legit Kazaa client to connect to the segregate portion of the FastTrack network.

Another example of cross-connecting is Overnet and eMule, which use the same transfer protocol but separate networks - and have been reported to crosslink.
Last edited by tm, on Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
tm,

K-Lite is Dieing..

Postby SlyckChuck » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:31 am

ashton, Kazaa reminds me of a thanksgiving day turkey, barring a miracle stick a fork in it. It's done!!

The 80's Still Rule
SlyckChuck

Re: Shedding some light.

Postby tomy » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:32 am

ashton wrote:however clients like KCEasy and XFactor which support 0XA9 have no issues at all.

Latest KMD also supports 0XA9, shouldnt you also get the 2 million user?
tomy

Postby tm, » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:46 am

With Imesh and K-lite combined, searches should get about 90% of results with "@fileshare" - but I am getting exact opposite, nearly all Klite results.
tm,

Re: Shedding some light.

Postby ashton » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:48 am

tomy wrote:
ashton wrote:however clients like KCEasy and XFactor which support 0XA9 have no issues at all.

Latest KMD also supports 0XA9, shouldnt you also get the 2 million user?
Your more likely to connect to the real cluster and not the segregated cluster, however it still can run into a KL supernode in that cluster and attach to it, so reality here is, it's not only segregating KL and iMesh but it's causing a bad experience for legit kazaa clients that do not initially request/nor require 0XA9, gift-fasttrack request 0XA9 specifically so those clients will never end up in the segregation.
-Julian
ashton

Postby Drake » Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:49 am

ashton wrote:Well true and false, the segregate network is mostly KL and iMesh, and we all know that KL users don't share...

Kazaa Lite users probably share more than KMD users. When I used Kazaa Lite, I always shared. I'm sure I'm not the only one.
Drake

Postby BigWillyStyle42 » Mon Jul 12, 2004 4:18 pm

tm wrote:
ashton wrote: because the protocol is the same the network is getting scrambled and really messy(slow), you may occasionally connect to the main network and it is possible for a legit Kazaa client to connect to the segregate portion of the FastTrack network.

Another example of cross-connecting is Overnet and eMule, which use the same transfer protocol but separate networks - and have been reported to crosslink.

However that's not at all the same thing that's happening with the FT network.
BigWillyStyle42

Postby no_dammagE » Tue Jul 13, 2004 6:38 am

It is similar to G2-Gnutella, actually ... some time ago.
Shareaza's G1 support got outdated and every up-to-date G1 client bumped it off the network - only old limewires didn't - so a separate G1 cluster created, but now things seem to be solved - on shareaza's side until G1 is up-to-date again, G1 support is turned off by default and connection numbers are limited. On G1's side, developers don't flame Shareaza's side for "bad development" again :)

As for KL: didn't you want to achieve the "hide in masses"-effect? How can it work e.g. in the KL-Cluster, if there are only 90 000 users? Then, you are not one of 2 millions, but 1 of 90 000.
On KaZaA you have 4.54*10^-5 % being caught (0,0000454%, if my math is right), whereby on KL you are at 0,0011%, what is much higher.

Then, they just need to generate a bruteforce search for a lot of songs and log the searchresults and then just search for those nicks and start a transfer - already they busted you ... although browsing is off :)

In that case even G1 is better because of the network size ... (~ 300000 Limewire and BearShare users since Morpheus, Gnucleus and other GnucDNA clients don't report back to the crawler, what makes at least other 100 000 users)
Windows? Blah. Linux? Blah. BSD? Blah.
Just make sure you have a computer licence and I can open your fsckin files.
Vorbis | Theora | LaTeX | OpenDocument
no_dammagE

Postby REDJ » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:30 pm

Hi, I help with the development of Kazaa Lite Resurrection (updated version of Kazaa Lite K++). I hate to advertise, but if you are willing to help out with in further development of any version of Kazaa Lite, please register at the official forum and go into the Kazaa Lite Resurrection forum. http://filesharingplace.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

If you do not want me to post this information again, I will listen to you and will not post again.

I am not trying to advertise or spam, I am just trying to get some users helping in the development of Kazaa Lite, right now we only have 3, and I am the only programmer. So please register over at FSP and help with Kazaa development.
REDJ

Postby iNaNimAtE » Tue Jul 13, 2004 9:51 pm

I use KLR right now, but it still doesn't have many users. Am I correct in saying that KLR is not able to connect with users of KMD 2.6? I always get "More sources needed," and I am wondering if this is the problem.
Attention P2P goers! Learn how to tag your media!
iNaNimAtE

Postby REDJ » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:40 pm

Well, every supernode running the core of KMD 2.5 or above forces the block of KLR and K-Lite, this is why we need help. I am thinking of upgrading the core of KLR to 2.6 or 2.6.3 because right now it is only at 2.0.2 which is blocked by alot of supernodes. So if you are knowlegable, please come help.

Lite (who runs FFT) also helps out at FSP.
REDJ

Postby iNaNimAtE » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:49 pm

The core needs to be upgraded to 2.6, or else KLR will be using it's own little network.

I can help, however I'm not that adept with my C++ skills. I, however, am I good writer... maybe I could help write some documentation (I am also pretty well off with imaging). Send me an email and we can talk. Posting a new thread in the "Developers Forum" category might also be a good idea.
Attention P2P goers! Learn how to tag your media!
iNaNimAtE

Postby Wham » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:20 pm

I don't think Kazaa will ever be able to dump Kazaa Lite because they no longer have control over the Network. Sharman Kazaa has been trying to go ligit for at least 2 years now that I know of but will never have success in my opinion because they rely on spyware/adware advertizing dollars. I think that now they just want to shut down completely. Kazaa lite is what is probably still holding the network up.
Wham

Postby tm, » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:54 pm

It was my impression that creating a basic "Lite" version did not require any programming language knowledge, and that it basically involved installing the application, deleting the spyware, and then building an installation package out of the installed components (-spyware). Maybe even using ReShacker to hack the exe file. Of course K++ was a lot more advanced than just Kazaa without the spyware.

In the days before Kazaa-Lite, Diet K, and Ad-aware, I used the instructions posted on cexx.org to replace the Cydoor cdclint.dll with a dummy file, manually remove all the spyware and crud that Kazaa left behind, then block the ads by adding IPs to the Hosts file - that was the only way to do it back then. Then Kazaa-Lite (and Clean Grokster) came around and took all the manual work out of it.

It seemed like it used to be common to find several different versions of clean clients at the same time, put together by different people - as if creating them was fairly easy. Within days of a new release of a P2P app, there would be a new "lite" version. Maybe today Kazaa has some advanced anti-hacking features that make the client dependent on having the spyware and adware functioning, and so is a lot harder to crack. Otherwise it would seem like someone would have created a more recent version of Kazaa-Lite a long time ago.
tm,

Postby Anonymous » Tue Jul 13, 2004 11:59 pm

No Shit!!! - That's All I Have To Say :lol:
Anonymous

Postby REDJ » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:32 am

Otherwise it would seem like someone would have created a more recent version of Kazaa-Lite a long time ago

Well, there are new verison of Kazaa Lite Resurrection. We released the newest one July 1st 2004 and the older on sometime in April if I remember right.
REDJ

Postby tm, » Wed Jul 14, 2004 12:50 am

REDJ wrote:Well, there are new verison of Kazaa Lite Resurrection. We released the newest one July 1st 2004 and the older on sometime in April if I remember right.

But then why is it based on Kazaa 2.0, and not based on the latest Kazaa 2.6?
tm,

Postby ashton » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:53 am

REDJ wrote:Well, every supernode running the core of KMD 2.5 or above forces the block of KLR and K-Lite, this is why we need help. I am thinking of upgrading the core of KLR to 2.6 or 2.6.3 because right now it is only at 2.0.2 which is blocked by alot of supernodes. So if you are knowlegable, please come help.

Lite (who runs FFT) also helps out at FSP.
The 2.0.2 core is the reason for fasttrack being such a mess and segregated, it does not contain 0xa9 ency type. Why don't you guys use the paid version( kazaa plus) and work of of it, it's not hard to remove the trymedia/activemark protection mechanism.
-Julian
ashton

Postby ashton » Wed Jul 14, 2004 7:55 am

tm wrote:
REDJ wrote:Well, there are new verison of Kazaa Lite Resurrection. We released the newest one July 1st 2004 and the older on sometime in April if I remember right.

But then why is it based on Kazaa 2.0, and not based on the latest Kazaa 2.6?
Cause they can't unpack 2.6. :lol:
-Julian
ashton

PreviousNext

Return to FastTrack/Kazaa