Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

K-Lite is Dieing..

Discussions about the FastTrack network and any clients that connect to it
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby HouseCrowd » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:36 pm

SlyckTom wrote:...but why does the KL client connect to the 2.0 million portion of the network mostly but not at other times? What is causing this? (perhaps time for a story on this...)

I believe it's due to insufficient supernodes, which is probably in part due to the fact that KL does not make users into supernodes by default.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby SlyckTom » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:40 pm

I believe it's due to insufficient supernodes, which is probably in part due to the fact that KL does not make users into supernodes by default.

Yes...yes...I recall that now...So this is Sharman successfully (or at least for a minute) segregating the KL community?
SlyckTom

Postby ashton » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:41 pm

SlyckTom wrote:but why does the KL client connect to the 2.0 million portion of the network mostly but not at other times? What is causing this? (perhaps time for a story on this...)

Tom, it depends on the required encryption that is requested by the supernode that you connect to as well as the minimum, if you can't supply 0xa9 and it wants that then you are pushed off to the next node in your list to try to establish a connection. i have yet to confirm that KMD 2.6.4 is requesting 0xa9 explicitly or that there may be a new enc type.
"There is a very thin line between genius and madness"
-Julian
ashton

Postby ashton » Tue Jul 20, 2004 4:47 pm

HouseCrowd wrote:
SlyckTom wrote:...but why does the KL client connect to the 2.0 million portion of the network mostly but not at other times? What is causing this? (perhaps time for a story on this...)

Most FastTrack supernodes can easily support 500 children each, i doubt that there is a lack of supernodes yet, this issue cropped up with KMD 2.6.4.
-Julian
ashton

Postby BigWillyStyle42 » Tue Jul 20, 2004 8:41 pm

ashton wrote:
BigWillyStyle42 wrote:I have to agree with hafnium on this one. That's a display bug nothing else. Let's pretend for one second that the number of files is stored in a 8 bit number to simply this example. From the packet you get the following 8 bits:
Code: Select all

How many files are on the network? 255 or -1? Well obviously since it makes no sense for the number of files and users to take on negative values there are 255 files on the network. That's a display bug.

Answer me this, the negative value has never been seen before Sharman released 2.6.4 a few weeks back, now every client receives this negative value from supernodes(from time to time) even third-party clients like xfactor and kceasy, it's a new bug introduced from kazaa 2.6.4, call it a "display" bug or whatever, but the fact remains it was introduced into the network with the last KMD.

You're avoiding the issue. How is it not a display bug? Binary numbers have no meaning until you interpret them. It makes absolutely no difference where the value came from.
BigWillyStyle42

i was right was i

Postby fire01 » Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:31 am

You see ashton and ooble i was right about the negative file shared on the network but it doesn't happened to me anymore.
fire01

i see 2.5

Postby Snip » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:25 pm

i see 2,582,941 users online | 1,767,616,905 files, and 12,391,936 gb
Snip

snip don't be fooled

Postby fire01 » Thu Jul 22, 2004 1:52 pm

you know that 1.7 billions files is absurd i remember at the beginnig of kazaa there were 5 millions people constently connected on the network sharing 800 miilions files. Now their is only 2.5 millions and they are sharing 1.7 billions and i saw beleive or not 2.2 billions files whit 2.3 millions people.
Their must be something wrong whit this picture don't you think. And the negative file thing only happened to me 2 times.
fire01

Re: snip don't be fooled

Postby ashton » Thu Jul 22, 2004 2:31 pm

fire01 wrote:you know that 1.7 billions files is absurd i remember at the beginnig of kazaa there were 5 millions people constently connected on the network sharing 800 miilions files. Now their is only 2.5 millions and they are sharing 1.7 billions and i saw beleive or not 2.2 billions files whit 2.3 millions people.
Their must be something wrong whit this picture don't you think. And the negative file thing only happened to me 2 times.

Your not thinking 4th dimensionally, now people download the same song about 15 times being 15 different versions, bitrate, etc.... and they never bother to keep the one they really want. So in fact the network contains prob 10-20 copies of the same song in different format, bitrate, etc, the stats are real. The point being FastTrack is flooded with "JUNK".
-Julian
ashton

Postby Drake » Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:36 pm

ashton wrote:Your not thinking 4th dimensionally, now people download the same song about 15 times being 15 different versions, bitrate, etc.... and they never bother to keep the one they really want.

I think the absurd amount of files has more to do with the increase of fake files.
Drake

Postby ashton » Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:53 pm

Drake wrote:
ashton wrote:Your not thinking 4th dimensionally, now people download the same song about 15 times being 15 different versions, bitrate, etc.... and they never bother to keep the one they really want.

I think the absurd amount of files has more to do with the increase of fake files.

Yea, that is true too.
-Julian
ashton

Postby WitchHunterRobin » Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:39 pm

Drake wrote:I think the absurd amount of files has more to do with the increase of fake files.

That's exactly it. I see 2.2 million users now sharing 15,000 terrabytes (15,000,000 GB) worth of files. I remember not long ago seeing more than 3 million people "only" sharing 4-5,000 terrabytes.
I actually posted about it before concerning the capricious amount of files being shared back in April.
http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=4442
WitchHunterRobin

fragmentation

Postby executive » Sun Jul 25, 2004 9:52 pm

I think people are overlooking an interesting fact. Some people have said that the FT network is fragmenting into many "pieces", but I find it highly unusual that all the small pieces have roughly the same number of users. I think there are only 2 pieces: a big one and a small one.
executive

Re: fragmentation

Postby ashton » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:43 pm

executive wrote:I think people are overlooking an interesting fact. Some people have said that the FT network is fragmenting into many "pieces", but I find it highly unusual that all the small pieces have roughly the same number of users. I think there are only 2 pieces: a big one and a small one.

That is exactly correct, it has fragmented into KL(and other clients using older encryption) and KMD/Grokster + giFT-FastTrack Clients. So there are really only 2 fragments.
-Julian
ashton

Postby executive » Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:49 pm

Ok thats interesting, but then why can both types of clients connect to both types of network... that would make this new encryption pretty useless wouldn't it?
executive

Postby ashton » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:35 am

executive wrote:Ok thats interesting, but then why can both types of clients connect to both types of network... that would make this new encryption pretty useless wouldn't it?

Because the encryption is not always required, the supernode may choose that the child have a required minimum encryption of 0xa9 or 0x08, etc... Why? To keep some backwards compatibility as they slowly ditch the old encryption as to not disrupt the network too much.
-Julian
ashton

Postby executive » Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:26 am

what supernodes? new KMD 2.6 supernodes? there aren't that many of those.
executive

Postby ashton » Mon Jul 26, 2004 8:18 am

executive wrote:what supernodes? new KMD 2.6 supernodes? there aren't that many of those.

They are roughly 2/3's of all supernodes.
-Julian
ashton

Postby executive » Mon Jul 26, 2004 2:31 pm

Ok. But why have all these supernodes suddenly start to ditch old clients? And how are supernodes able to "choose" their connections, and what controls this? Lastly, KMD users are taking a hit as well ... why would Sharman do this to themselves? Clearly it has disrupted the network. When will things stabilize? When will the switchover be complete?
executive

Postby ashton » Mon Jul 26, 2004 3:29 pm

executive wrote:Ok. But why have all these supernodes suddenly start to ditch old clients? And how are supernodes able to "choose" their connections, and what controls this? Lastly, KMD users are taking a hit as well ... why would Sharman do this to themselves? Clearly it has disrupted the network. When will things stabilize? When will the switchover be complete?

Things will stabilize when old the outdated clients are gone, I am sure that they will release a client dropping the 0x08 encryption and adding encryption on top of 0xa9, like i said it's for backwards compatibility, just to note that if they do this, KL(2.0.2 KMD based) and iMesh will be gone....
-Julian
ashton

Postby executive » Mon Jul 26, 2004 7:50 pm

How do the supernodes decide which clients to connect?
executive

Postby ashton » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:18 pm

executive wrote:How do the supernodes decide which clients to connect?

Can you rephrase?
-Julian
ashton

Postby executive » Tue Jul 27, 2004 2:48 pm

ashton wrote:the supernode may choose that the child have a required minimum encryption of 0xa9 or 0x08, etc...

What criteria does the supernode base its choice on?
executive

Postby dimitri » Tue Sep 21, 2004 10:33 am

Adressing the problems I think I know the answer to

Well, I don't know about you, but 3 years ago I had a 20 GB HDD. Now I have bought another 120, thus I have roughly 133 GB (actual) of space = That much more FILES!!!!!! 3 yrs ago I was sharing 150 files, now my collection had grown and there is no real need to take the files off a harddrive (write them on CDs/DVD's for STORAGE purposes), and my list of shared files states that just over 3000 files are shared. It was 2000 files a year ago.

Now, if there are (2.3 x 1 000 000) users, each sharing roughly 1000 files, then # of files on network is (2.3 x 1 000 000 x 1 000 = 2.3 x 1000000000, or 2.3 Billion files. These #'s are reasonable in our age of enormous harddrives!!! 1000 high-quality (192 +) songs will take about 6-8 GB of space, which is no big deal for those who have even 40 gig HDDs.

There are 2 454 310 users and 1 275 787 087 files, roughly 500 per user. Those who remember the 5+ mil users days must have a lot of files, thus our # of files is getting bigger. When I started I only had about 100 mp3's. Now I have over 1500 songs (I am NOT American, so RIAA can FCUK 0FF).

Small networks - I got that a lot on an old computer that had Win98 running. I got Win2K, and I only remember noticing it twice or three times, in which case SN jumping would fix the problem. I think it MAY be due to poor network implementations in windozes, esp in the 9X line.

Why numbers are so low - long time users don't spend much time on network. When I go in - I'm there for about an hour, because of speed I can get there is no need to stay for much longer. I've been using K-Lite K++/kazaa for over 3 yrs, and I have only deleted about 30% of the files I got from FT. I also have a 3 mbit pipe - gives you an idea of how much couldv'e been DL'ed. I am saturated with files, I don't need to get much more. The totally opposite picture is in eDonkey network, where by the time you DL an mp3 you can DL and install 6 filesharing programs, try them out for half an hour each AND remove them, and then (hopefully) listen to the mp3 you DL'ed. I do not hate ed2K network, I'm a new user and it seems OK, but that's the hard truth about it. This is why eDonkey/eMule user count is 2+ Mil - 80% of those who have either installed are on the network at all times in order to actually get some files. In FT, many more people use it per day, but their connection time is short - about 30mins to 3 hours.
dimitri

Previous

Return to FastTrack/Kazaa