Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Holding down SHIFT no longer selects

Discussions about the FastTrack network and any clients that connect to it
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Holding down SHIFT no longer selects

Postby Jellric » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:20 pm

I just reinstalled Kazaa and before when I would go to the traffic tab I could highlight a file name in my queue and hit SHIFT then skip a few files and highlight that and highlight the entire group that way. Nice time-saving feature.

It no longer allows me to do that. Is this a "new" feature of Kazaa or is there something I'm supposed to turn on? A review of the help files turned up nothing.
Jellric

Postby Unbiased_Opinion » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:47 pm

Turn on your firewall, anti-virus, spyware, adware, and any other shitware scanning apps once you do a clean install of whatever operating sytem you are using.

Now install Ares and/or eMule.

That's about the best advice I can give to a Kazaa user.
Unbiased_Opinion

Postby multivariable » Thu Jul 13, 2006 11:48 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
multivariable

Postby IceCube » Fri Jul 14, 2006 1:09 am

Unbiased_Opinion wrote:Turn on your firewall, anti-virus, spyware, adware, and any other shitware scanning apps once you do a clean install of whatever operating sytem you are using.

Now install Ares and/or eMule.

That's about the best advice I can give to a Kazaa user.

...and by reading this comment, you are obliged to follow these instructions... at the very VERY least, up to the words 'now install' :shock:

Seriously though, avoid Kazaa and any client that primarily connects to the network like the plague. You'll find the guides as featured in U_O's post.

Simply put, get off the network ASAP.
IceCube

Postby grubbymitts » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:12 am

Run to the hills, finally one of the 2 million kazaa users has come into town!
grubbymitts

Postby zim » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:13 am

Wow. an actual kazaa user...

Format and reinstall windows.

And DONT install kazaa ever again. go get emule or shareaza.

And you also should get spybot and ad-aware. scan often. Along with a virus scanner.
zim

Postby indecision04 » Fri Jul 14, 2006 2:15 am

Seriously, Kazaa is horrible. Don't use it.
indecision04

Postby Sacky » Fri Jul 14, 2006 5:07 am

Kazaa is the most scutinised, slow, lousy, network i have ever encountered
ANY other p2p program is better
Sacky

Postby Mrs. 2p » Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:59 am

well... I guess that really helped our new fried! :roll:

now, jellric, welcome! :D

as you may have inferred from previous posts (guess you can take a hint :lol:), kazaa, and generally the fasttrack network are not something you want your system to enter into contact with.

for one, those applications typically come full of spyware. also, since they are networks typically used by people with few computer skills, there is a high risk of malware files being shared along with everything else, not to mention that large anti-p2p organizations are known to have consciously dropped malware into the network to hurt users.

this is why the members above recommend a full scan of your system. there is a spyware/adware removal guide on the column to the left of the page. turn off system restore, follow the guide closely, turn system restore back on. following the guide while in safe mode may be a bit of an overkill, but it certainly wouldn't hurt either. the fact that you're already experiencing weird behavious may indicate that something's not quite right already.

also, precisely because fasttrack is used by people who have not bothered to look far or how little knowledge of how to do so results in files being generally of low quality, or fakes (ie. the content does not match the filename), because they can't be bothered or do not know how to change the filenames. this is underscored by the fact that kazaa's search function tries to match titles and not hash codes.

Hence the second piece of advice you've received: try other networks. Ares is a nice and easy place to start, but try moving on to ed3k or bittorrent as soon as you feel comfortable enough. you'll find how-to guides on the site (column to the left of the page) and loads of information in the forums.

...and if you get stuck, just give a shout! :D
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Don't you just love a good read?
Mrs. 2p

Postby Unbiased_Opinion » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:23 am

Hey now 2P! :P

I said the same thing just not as nicely put. Because (s)he's a kazaa user is why I recommended Ares since it's very similiar to kazaa's GUI. I would have mentioned BitTorrent and/or Usenet but I don't see the average kazaa user jumping right into that.

I do recommend a clean install if you have the time and resources to back up any media you don't wish to lose and then installing your security tools. It can be pain in the ass sometimes just trying repair your system that has nasties on it, especially when a clean install will make sure all Kazaa's traces are gone.

As 2p said (and I :P ) there are plenty of guides here. So put on your reading glasses and go.

EDIT: Where can I find the new edonkey network at 2P? :wink:
Unbiased_Opinion

Postby multivariable » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:29 am

Hi Jellric. Sorry I laughed before, but we don't see many Kazaa users these days posting on Slyck, most of us know better. I'd bet my left testicle however that a good percentage of people who post regularly on this forum have used Kazaa in the past (many moons ago, though).

The people who posted above have given good advice: ditch Kazaa ASAP. There's plenty of much better, less dangerous alternatives out there.

Keep posting and tell us how you get on :)
multivariable

Postby Fartingbob » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:38 am

I love kazaa!
Actually i dont. i stopped using it 3 years ago and things have gotten much worse in kazaaland since.
I dont know why it wont let you select multiple items, i dont fancy downloading it to try myself, but have you tried just dragging your mouse over the downloads to select them?
Get a firewall, antivirus and antispyware. You dont need to reinstall windows or format your dirve, thats OTT. Just scan your computer for nasties, it should remove any then your PC will like you again. Or maybe your a careful / lucky kazaa user and you havent gotten anything. taking precautions anybody can avoid the fake files even on kazaa.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby multivariable » Fri Jul 14, 2006 9:55 am

If you must use the FastTrack network that Kazza connects to, try using KCEasy with the FastTrack plug-in. Allied has a good review of it, just check his sig.
multivariable

Postby Mrs. 2p » Fri Jul 14, 2006 10:25 am

Unbiased_Opinion wrote:Hey now 2P! :P

hey! :D
yeah, I know it was the same thing.. you were probably the nicest one around! just thought jillreck might want to understand why he was being told what he was being told

I would have mentioned BitTorrent and/or Usenet but I don't see the average kazaa user jumping right into that.

I agree about usenet (I haven't been bothered with yet myself... but then again, I'd hate to lose my local noob status ;) ). BT, however, is as easy as ed2k, if you don't care for anything fancy. Just download utorrent, click on hashlinks, and watch it go!

EDIT: Where can I find the new edonkey network at 2P? :wink:

If you mean the super-733T-secret new edonkey network of the fouth millennium... you'll have to know the right people, sorry. :lol:
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Don't you just love a good read?
Mrs. 2p

Postby Jellric » Fri Jul 14, 2006 12:45 pm

:lol: Wow. Where to start? Well first of all I am using Kazaa with Diet Kazaa. I know all too well about the spyware and Diet K mitigates that, uninstalls the P2P network, Altell, and other nasties. That combined with Ad aware works just fine.

I didn't just fall off the turnip truck, folks. I have a good firewall and multiple layers of protection. I use Kazaa occasionly because I get tons of results (most important to me in a file sharing network) and accurate searches (when I search for a song someone's family photo album doesn't come up).

I just installed a fresh copy of XP on my system and run an updated antivirus program every day.

I also use bittorent, Soulseek, and other file sharing apps but nothing has beaten the sheer number of results that Kazaa gives me for certain music and I will continue to use it for that. :P

Anyway, obviously (contrary to the forum description) this isn't the place for Kazaa advice so I'll be on my merry way thankyouverymuch.
Jellric

Postby grubbymitts » Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:56 pm

Well, that got rid of him.

/me feels ashamed for some reason.
grubbymitts

Postby WildHeart » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:06 pm

Maybe it's time to re-think this FastTrack/Kazaa forum thing, re its purpose/structure?
"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for."
- Will Rogers -
WildHeart

Postby zbeast » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:41 pm

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.
You told him about why one should not run Kazaa client.
You got a shrug in return.
That's all you can do.
Just keep that I told you so poster available for him
when he comes back ah crying.
zbeast

Postby LiveTS » Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:41 pm

Nyuck, Nyuck, Nyuck...

Ain't no motor like a martyr made motor 'cause a martyr made motor don't quit.
LiveTS

Postby IceCube » Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:18 am

Jellric wrote:
I also use bittorent, Soulseek, and other file sharing apps but nothing has beaten the sheer number of results that Kazaa gives me for certain music and I will continue to use it for that. :P

Even Shareaza? I'm surprised someone would find more results on FastTrack then apps like Shareaza and eMule as I've seen two people pesonally say how many more results are on Shareaza rather then the FastTrack network. Makes me wonder what kind of content can be easier to find on FastTrack :?
IceCube

Postby Nuttyguy » Sat Jul 15, 2006 6:25 am

this forum should be renamed to "The fastrack bashing forum" since thats all that takes place here.
Nuttyguy

Postby P2P_G » Sat Jul 15, 2006 7:50 pm

IceCube wrote:
Jellric wrote:

Even Shareaza? I'm surprised someone would find more results on FastTrack then apps like Shareaza and eMule as I've seen two people pesonally say how many more results are on Shareaza rather then the FastTrack network. Makes me wonder what kind of content can be easier to find on FastTrack :?

Find more stuff on Fasttrack than on Shareaza? :shock: Fasttrack is dieing slowly! Lol, i can't find real files on Fasttrack these days. But it is good to hear that he is NOT only using Kazaa :D FT files is getting less rare every day. I can only give you one adivce, get off fasttrack but if you REALLY need to use fasttrack(NOT RECOMMENDED) Use K-lite k++. K-lite k++ has a lot more features than Kazaa. It isn't just about Kazaa's spyware/adware/trojans it's about the network and the RIAA!

Some good alternatives to Kazaa, that are spyware/adware free: shareaza, BearShare Lite(old version), Ares, WinMX, Soulseek, eMule and DC++(a lil bit diffrent but good!)

P2P_G
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Return to FastTrack/Kazaa