Slyck Chatbox - And More

Programs similar to KLite?

Discussions about the FastTrack network and any clients that connect to it
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Programs similar to KLite?

Postby robnyt » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:23 pm

...but if not please move.

First off, I'm as dumb as a rock :shock:. VERY important to remember that as you offer feedback.

Long time Klite 2.4.3 user. It stinks as my downloads move......very......very......slow.....ly.

HOWEVER, I am JUST too stupid to move up to the "next level". KL's childish ease is what keeps me trapped with it. That stated, IF I were to try something else (ie: better) what would you recommend? AGAIN, ABSOLUTE simplicity is key. Someone mentioned Shareza as being similiar but better.
robnyt

Postby Allied » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:38 pm

For a Kazaa user, I recommend Ares. It works and looks just like Kazaa. It doesn't have the text controls(File, View, Help, etc..), but everything else is the same.
Allied's Review:
Recommended: LimeWire | Ares | Shareaza | eMule | KCeasy
Not Recommended: Morpheus | Kazaa | eDonkey2000 | Manolito | iMesh
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Location: Behind You Shoe Size: 11.008 BitTorrent: µTorrent Nationality: Canuckian Newsgroups: GrabIt

Postby Artie » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:39 pm

You joined this site before I have, and you still haven't moved to the next level yet? :?

I'm not sure what to really tell you. The guides are on the left. The discussion of individual sharing programs are in the forums. I guess you can start there.

If you want absolute simplicity, then yes, Shareaza I suppose, or even Limewire, even though I don't use either of them personally.

With all things considered, give eMule a chance. It's not that difficult once you work out the kinks, and it'll have everything you could want, sort of like a mini BitTorrent network in a way. Just set the method for Searching to "Global", then search for something. You'll be off and running in no time. Also, use the Options to limit your outgoing speed and for other minor configurations.
Artie

Postby serrebi101 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:44 pm

ares is the way to go if your looking for the kazaa feel.
http://www.aresgalaxy.org
serrebi101

Postby IceCube » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:53 pm

I recommend Shareaza for many reasons to Kazaa users.

1. it's a step up in terms of a quality of a program

2. You get introduced to different networks while still having the simplicity Kazaa can offer

3. It has more files (not the most files at the fastest rates, but the application offers more files with far fewer fakes then Kazaa)

4. When users decide to go beyond Shareaza, they have an understanding of the networks they are choosing to go more into.

5. (it is now a reason) it has been tried and tested that it's a good way to get off of Kazaa without being intimidated too much.

Is there better networks/means of getting files, yeah, but many Kazaa users I meat seem to demand more simplicity then which network is the best. I havn't used Ares galaxy personally. Then again, it also depends on the user. I personally jumped from Kazaa straight to BitTorrent, but that didn't come without a degree of frustration in the process.

Just thoughts though.
IceCube

Postby HouseCrowd » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:46 am

Ares is certainly the most Kazaa-like and noob-friendly.

@robnyt: Please use the 'edit' button on your post to change the subject title to something more descriptive...

12) Starting a new thread intelligently. When asking for assistance on a particular topic, please use a descriptive subject to illustrate your situation. Please avoid the following generic examples:

"Help Please!" or "Need Help! or "OMG WTF!111"

Instead, be descriptive and concise. If you are having problems with a BitTorrent client, make sure your subject contains the pertinent information. For example:

"BitLord Has Trouble Connecting." or "BitComet Freezes During Start Up.". If you are asked to change a thread title to make it more descriptive you may achive this by pressing the 'EDIT' button on the appropriate post.

Forum Rules
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby Myrak » Mon Feb 27, 2006 7:53 am

I definetly recommend Ares. It's what got me back into filesharing. Very, very simple and easy to use. Does not take much memory at all, and is only about 2megs to install. Downloads at the fastest speeds out of all the P2P I've used (excluding Newsgroups).

It's good for relatively popular music and some movies, and also some popular TV extracts. If it's there, with as little as 5 sources you'll get 100kB/s. Very rarely are there any queues, if there are they're very small.
Myrak

Postby P2P_G » Tue Feb 28, 2006 5:40 pm

Ares is good...i like BearShare Lite more bcuz there are a lot more users than on Ares.....on Ares there are like 1.000.000 and on BearShare(gnutella) there are like 2.000.000 to 3.000.000 :) Ares and BearShare is wery good two apps :)
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby robnyt » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:42 pm

You joined this site before I have, and you still haven't moved to the next level yet?

:D I'm the guy by the side of the pool for 2 hrs trying to work up the nerve to jump in.
robnyt

Postby Pr1M@t3 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:02 pm

robnyt wrote:You joined this site before I have, and you still haven't moved to the next level yet?

:D I'm the guy by the side of the pool for 2 hrs trying to work up the nerve to jump in.

somewhat weak, so Ares or Shareaza is for you. Shareaza supports multiple networks (not too polluted w/ fakes and corrupts) and can do BT
Pr1M@t3

Postby Ratt » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:58 pm

IceCube wrote:2. You get introduced to different networks while still having the simplicity Kazaa can offer

3. It has more files (not the most files at the fastest rates, but the application offers more files with far fewer fakes then Kazaa)

Very true. I moved from K-Lite (ah, the innocence -and naiveté- of youth) to Shareaza, to Edonkey and eventually to Emule. I didn't really understand P2P until I took a good long look at how Shareaza works (eventually I realized that Shareaza was getting all the files I wanted most from edonkey, but it wasn't getting them very efficiently, so it was a no-brainer in the end...but that's another level up).
Ratt

Postby 666 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:21 pm

KCeasy from http://www.kceasy.com/ .

You get Ares, Gnutella, and OpenFT right out of the box, and you can add FastTrack as a plugin if you really want to keep using that network.

If the program gives you any trouble, post a message on http://www.kceasy.com/phpBB2/ and you have a good chance of getting a reply from the author of the program.

Postby bitz » Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:16 am

666 wrote:KCeasy from http://www.kceasy.com/ .

You get Ares, Gnutella, and OpenFT right out of the box, and you can add FastTrack as a plugin if you really want to keep using that network.

If the program gives you any trouble, post a message on http://www.kceasy.com/phpBB2/ and you have a good chance of getting a reply from the author of the program.

Yeah strangely enough I agree kazaa, klite or similar to kceasy would be a good move, at least for anyone not able to handle something more complex.

I do not think kazaa to shareaza would be a good idea, shareaza is just not that well written. There are too many bugs and problems with it. At the rate of its development maybe by the time 4.0 rolls out if and when it does that might change.

Though the last time I check out kceasy was sometime early last year. Maybe someone who uses it can tell us how good its current version is, if it is clean and stable or not?
bitz

Postby gus » Sun Apr 16, 2006 1:34 pm

I find bit torrent via piratebay very good as most posts have lots of useful comments.
gus

Postby Andu » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:15 pm

I don't see how a multi network client is the logical next step from K-Lite. In order to actually be able to really harness the powers of the individual networks you have to understand each of them and all the settings for them.

So I would stick with a dedicated client for the time being and then review the situation after you have seen how it's like and that you would like to go further.

So I would probably suggest Ares or a Gnutella client (Limewire, Bearshare and so on) to be your next step up the filesharing ladder :roll: .
Andu

Postby LaX » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:59 am

Considering he didnt post for over a month, he either solved his problem or gave up.
LaX

Return to FastTrack/Kazaa