Slyck Chatbox - And More

Kazaa gets Dec 5 deadline to alter system

Discussions about the FastTrack network and any clients that connect to it
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Kazaa gets Dec 5 deadline to alter system

Postby SickTom » Thu Nov 24, 2005 11:58 am

By Jeffrey Goldfarb

LONDON (Reuters) - An Australian court has given file-sharing network Kazaa until December 5 to either filter copyrighted music from its system or shut down, music industry officials said on Thursday.

The imposition of the deadline follows a ruling in September by the judge in Sydney that Kazaa users were breaching copyright and that the network's owners had to modify the software.

Other global peer-to-peer (P2P) services, which distribute data between users instead of relying on a central server, also have come under fire from courts in recent months.

Kazaa's operators, Sharman Networks, had appealed the judgment. But according to music industry trade group IFPI, the Australian court said that to avoid complete shutdown Kazaa must, as a first step, put in place a keyword filter system within 10 days.

Sharman Networks had said it could not control the actions of an estimated 100 million users.

"It's time for services like Kazaa to move on -- to filter, go legal or make way for others who are trying to build a digital music business the correct and legal way," IFPI Chairman John Kennedy said in a statement.

A growing number of legal online music services such as Apple Computer Inc.'s iTunes, Napster and RealNetworks Inc.'s Rhapsody have grown in popularity over the past year as a new generation of P2P services like Mashboxx hope to offer the advantages of file-sharing without infringing on copyright.

Link
Last edited by SickTom on Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SickTom

Postby Mrs. 2p » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:05 pm

thanks for you input. In the future, please submit news articles on file-sharing issues through the regular route, so that mods and admins can check them and approve/disapprove them.

http://www.slyck.com/submitfsn.php

(also accessible through the home page)
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Don't you just love a good read?
Mrs. 2p

Postby Allied » Thu Nov 24, 2005 12:13 pm

Filtering copyrighted material would be near impossible. Its not like they can pick and choose what files show up in the search results.

I think Kazaa is going down.
Allied's Review:
Recommended: LimeWire | Ares | Shareaza | eMule | KCeasy
Not Recommended: Morpheus | Kazaa | eDonkey2000 | Manolito | iMesh
Allied
Mostly Harmless

Location: Behind You Shoe Size: 11.008 BitTorrent: µTorrent Nationality: Canuckian Newsgroups: GrabIt

Postby SlyckScratch » Thu Nov 24, 2005 1:42 pm

The question is, does the movie industry want the name Kazaa to continue as a 'legal' pay service?

I've got a nagging feeling that Kazaa needs to suffer to prove a point. So yes Allied, I agree with you. Kazaa is probably going down.
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' To tell the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement - but as I deal in English, the most powerful language in the world with subtle nuances that may blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' Well do you punk?
SlyckScratch

Postby zbeast » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:25 pm

On a network where all the searching is handled in the client.
You you have to download "blocking" files to those clients. That trick will never work.

When napster tryed to filter on a network where the searching is was on a central server.
Where they have 100% access to the names of all the files bein traded on the network they failed.

I fear that kazaa, even tho I hate the software is just being attacted because there
the currnet file trading poster boy. With an average users count of 4 million users. Its defeat will send a powerful message.

That message I'm sure will be the RIAA must die.
zbeast

Return to FastTrack/Kazaa