Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

KaZaA Removal

Discussions about the FastTrack network and any clients that connect to it
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

KaZaA Removal

Postby Myrak » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:33 am

My friend (who is not technically versed in the slightest), has been running Kazaa Media Desktop, fresh from Sharman's site for at least the past year or so. She installed everything, spyware and all, without a second thought and didn't pay any mind to the popups.

I want to help her here, so I'd like to know the quickest and easiest way to remove Kazaa and all it's garbage from her computer. Would it just be uninstall Kazaa + Ad-Aware SE + Spybot (or something of the like)? Would that kill most of it?
Of course if I wanted to remove every single speck of undesirable software I'd go in and completely retool her whole computer, so I'm just looking for something that kills the majority of the bad stuff.
Myrak

Postby BasicTek » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:40 am

My experience is once you infest a computer with spyware/adware formatting and reinstalling is the only answer unless it's just a minor infestation from 1 program or so.

Try uninstalling all malicious programs from control panel. Then installing spybot S&D and M$ AS. If after running both you find there is still spyware/adware that can't be removed or that it keeps coming back each day then format and reinstall. It's faster then trying to remove literally 1000's of instances in the registry and hd.
"The government, which was designed for the people, has got into the hands of the bosses and their employers, the special interests. An invisible empire has been set up above the forms of democracy." - Woodrow Wilson
BasicTek

Postby Trev0r269 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:43 am

you could try kazaabegone

http://filesharingplace.com/downloads/kazaabegone.php

I'm pretty sure this was made for this exact purpose. Although I'm sure you can uninstall kazaa and all of its crap that is on the add/remove software list and then just spybot it.
Trev0r269

Postby Myrak » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:13 pm

Trev0r: Cheers, I'll check that out now. If it works I'll just get her to do that herself.
One quick question: Does that just uninstall Kazaa, or Kazaa and the malware?

BasicTek: Yeah, if there's just too much stuff on there that I couldn't be bothered with I'd format+reinstall everything too. But sometimes if it's just a few stubborn things I can usually do that manually. I've had the VX2/Aurora/DirectRevenue malware/trojan before, what a f'ing pain in the ass that was, though I got rid of it and everything works fine now.

But my last computer, my old Win98 was filled with junk. So much so that the tiny, "use-a-pencil-to-push-the-button" reset button was used so much it got stuck and the computer wouldn't boot :lol:
Myrak

Postby Nick » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:25 pm

My thoughts....

Try removal all you can using add/install under control panel

I would suggest running Zone Alarm Pros spyware removal, plus latest Adaware.

Obviously run a full virus scan

Then, despite my absolute hatred of all things McAfee, their error doctor is a superb piece of software. I dislike these one size fix all progs, but this one has to be the exception.

That wil all take some time, but you#ll end up with a pc that's slicker than a George Forman grill and 1000 times more effective
Nick

Postby Trev0r269 » Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:58 pm

Myrak, it will get rid of kazaa and its crapware. Have her try this herself and if the computer is still infected, then you can get in there yourself. Thats what I would do.
Trev0r269

Postby Myrak » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:30 pm

Trev0r269 wrote:Myrak, it will get rid of kazaa and its crapware. Have her try this herself and if the computer is still infected, then you can get in there yourself. Thats what I would do.

Yeah, I think that's what I'll do.
And I'll do what Nick suggested if her computer is still filled with stuff.

Thanks guys :)
Myrak

Postby Assyrian » Sat Nov 19, 2005 11:49 pm

dont forget to clean your registry.

i use registry mechanic.
away.
Assyrian
The King

Return to FastTrack/Kazaa