Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

P2P Non File Trading Software

A place for developers and programmers of file-sharing software to discuss issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

P2P Non File Trading Software

Postby ProfessorM » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:01 pm

Hello.

Besides free phone calls (Skype) and file trading, P2P can also be used for conducting auctions, running your own storefront, posting classified ads/yellow page ads, hosting simple message boards, and much more - for free. The internet = freedom and free stuff.

My software startup recently released a version 1.0 of Maazios, which tackles the new applications just mentioned. If you like to try the software, visit http://www.maazios.com or our blog - http://maazios.blogspot.com for more info. I wrote a paper posted on the website discussing the future of P2P http://www.maazios.com/Sequel.htm .

Word of caution: we noticed some early home users, who allowed firewall server access for Maazios, but did not set the portforwarding (port # 49999) on their cable/dsl router: their computers contacted our test machines but it was not possible for our test machines to connect to their computers. So please setup portforwarding because Maazios does not use supernode concept. I hope that once you have installed Maazios properly and played with it a bit, then you too will see the future of P2P. We have some test machines with auctions, storefront, etc. set up so that you can view, bid or buy from it; their domain names are "prime" and "janedoe". Don't worry, we won't hold you accountable for what you do to the test machines' application items. Contact me if you have problems installing or using the software (info@maazios.com).

Please add your concerns, questions, etc. to this thread. I will check on it at least once a day to post my response.
ProfessorM

Postby LD50% » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:13 pm

ProfessorM

Yep, that will inspire confidence....:roll:

Besides free phone calls (Skype) and file trading, P2P can also be used for conducting auctions, running your own storefront, posting classified ads/yellow page ads, hosting simple message boards, and much more - for free. The internet = freedom and free stuff.

Ya don't say..... :roll:

Big SPAM sandwich anyone?...... :lol:
LD50%

Postby yaveznodo » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:49 pm

P2P can also be used for conducting auctions, running your own storefront, posting classified ads/yellow page ads, hosting simple message boards

Isn't that Craigslist?
yaveznodo

Postby ProfessorM » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:00 pm

Sorry about profile info - Location: san mateo, ca, usa
Don't have a auto fill standard web form for these message boards.

You have to remember the last time I checked - EBay, Yahoo Stores, Amazon ZShops, web hosters do charge you $$$ though :cry: . Most of Craigslist's services are free but they do charge for a few items - what if it was possible those items could also be free?

As for freedom - is it usually the regular person or the "hoster" who has the power to yank something off a site? If you say hoster - jackpot :lol:
ProfessorM

Postby zbeast » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:08 pm

Well to be fair it’s an interesting idea but…
It’s nothing I would use.
It’s got a chat client. Great I already have 3 of those.
It’s a p2p auction site. Interesting but I use ebay and yahoo for auctions.
It’s got message and file moving. I use gmail, Hachami for that.
It’s got a kind of blog software as part of it. There are tons of open blogs I’m on.
Chat rooms, I have irc, usenet, mud’s for that.
Message boards. I have irc and yahoo groups for that.
Home shopping. I use Amazon for that.

Things I don’t do. I don’t read classifieds ads.
I don’t read yellow pages.

I go to a search engine type in what I’m looking for look at about 4 to 6 sites.
Make sure there not credit card fishing sites.
Then I buy.

Ok that’s not completely true I use cregslist that’s about the only “classifieds” I read.

Who knows this may work for someone.
They were able to get enough people to use "Grouper" to sell it.
Maybe someone my buy into this.
http://informitv.com/articles/2006/08/2 ... esgrouper/
zbeast

Postby ProfessorM » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:21 pm

I understand your comparisons too; when I first conceived the idea for the P2P approach, it was quite bizarre to me as well. What I am hoping is to prove the concept to many people that it can be done. It's kind of like I used to look for jobs in the newspapers but with the internet introduced, I use other sources.

To prove something and have people witness it - that's the main goal right now. Shifting power away from a "hoster" to the user and make the concept of "fee" nonexistant - these are very idealistic targets.
ProfessorM

Postby LD50% » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:32 pm

I wish you well in you endeavours, but as you may have seen there are a few problems with your approach.

Sorry about profile info - Location: san mateo, ca, usa
Don't have a auto fill standard web form for these message boards.

Yes, but you are still there though.......so what do you mean, umm, autofill?

What I am hoping is to prove the concept to many people that it can be done.

Sure, and no one is questioning that, but, and the but remains.

Shifting power away from a "hoster" to the user and make the concept of "fee" nonexistant - these are very idealistic targets

Been done to death already, so what do you have that is new?

Again, wish you well, but tail your approach to your biggest audience and it may work?
Last edited by LD50% on Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LD50%

Postby ProfessorM » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:53 pm

Web form - yeah, I was there. Most msg boards asked me for same info so I got lazy.

The original internet - only techies liked using it; then later, regular people adopt when more improvements were implemented; so I do understand the liking of the status quo, desire for no change.

Shifting power - done to death? Ebay is still around; I remember a CNBC special where a small EBay seller cried because of new fee increases; she did not expect a whole lot from her little enterprise.

I guess until someone who sets up Maazios correctly and plays with it, then I would truly welcome their concerns/criticisms. Thanks for your initial impressions; we just might converse again in the future. 8)
ProfessorM

Postby LD50% » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:05 pm

Maybe..again, wish you well.
LD50%

Postby ProfessorM » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:41 pm

For those willing to take the plunge - please contact me by private message or info@maazios.com so we can walk through the install and configure together.
ProfessorM

Maazios Screenshots for the Curious

Postby ProfessorM » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:08 pm

Easier to put links to screenshots since a few too many (38 pics total 2.8MB)

The following pics show what you see of your own "stuff"

Your own start page; many items created and things filled in elsewhere.
KG_Main_Start.JPG
A preferences form for you to fill in so start page looks nicer and location info can be used by other apps.
KG_Main_Preferences.JPG
History of app items and domains you've been to.
KG_Main_History.JPG

Connect by IP Address UI - used if you know your friend/family's external IP. Note it shows your external IP address on top.
Successful connect will show other party's domain name and description.
KG_Connect_by_IP.JPG

The Pseudo Email "outlook" like UI.
KG_Memail_inbox.JPG
System reminders show useful tidbits you should be aware of about your computer and application items.
KG_Memail_sys_reminders.JPG

From the Search UI
A simple search for "bracelet"
KG_Search_regular.JPG
Sample of other people's "stuff"; doubleclick to see it (other person's Maazios must be on and connectable).
KG_Whats_New.JPG
What other Maazios users are searching for.
KG_Search_what_others_are_searching.JPG
Your favorites list - domains shown; favorite app items also possible.
KG_My_Favorites_domains.JPG

From the Auction Management UI
One of your created auctions that is active now.
KG_My_Auctions.JPG
Save time by filling in this preferences since will be used by all your own auctions.
KG_Auction_Preferences.JPG
Your auction watch - watching other Maazios users' auctions.
KG_AuctionWatch_My_Auction_Watch_tab.JPG
Your bid/buy requests to other Maazios users' auctions and the request's status (it may fail - ex. network problem).
KG_AuctionWatch_My_Requests_tab.JPG
Your winning bids of other Maazios users' auctions and its related info.
KG_AuctionWatch_My_Winning_Bids_tab.JPG

Your own Feedback History UI
What other Maazios users said about you - only your auctions and storefront for now.
KG_My_Feedback_History.JPG

Your own Chat Rooms UI
KG_My_Chat_Rooms.JPG

Your own Classified Ads UI
KG_My_Classified_Ads.JPG

Your own Message Boards UI
KG_My_Message_Boards.JPG

Your own Publish/Subscribe UI KG_My_Publications.JPG
KG_My_Subscriptions.JPG

Your own Yellow Page Ads UI
KG_My_YellowPage.jpg

Your own Storefront Management UI
Example of one of your item for sale.
KG_Storefront_My_Storefront.JPG
Fill in preferences since used for your storefront and its items.
KG_Storefront_Preferences.JPG
Your orders from other Maazios users' storefront.
KG_Storefront_My_Orders.jpg
Your customers' orders - New ones, Canceled by you, and Shipped by you
KG_Storefront_My_Customers_Orders_new_orders.JPG
KG_Storefront_My_Customers_Orders_cancelled_orders.JPG
KG_Storefront_My_Customers_Orders_shipped.JPG

The following is when you go to some other Maazios user's "site" or application item
You are looking at someone's domain page (notice what's available).
KG_domain_seen_by_JD.JPG
You are looking at someone's auction (useful pic on bottom).
KG_auction_seen_by_JD.JPG
You are in someone's chat room.
KG_chat_with_JD.JPG
A list of someone's application items - chat rooms in this case.
KG_chatroom_list_seen_by_JD.JPG
You are looking at someone's Classified ad.
KG_clasAd_seen_by_JD.JPG
You are looking at someone's Feedback history.
KG_feedback_history_seen_by_JD.JPG
You are in someone's message board.
KG_mb_seen_by_JD.JPG
You are in someone's storefront.
KG_storefront_seen_by_JD.JPG
You checking out an order in someone's storefront.
KG_storefront_shopcart_seen_by_JD.JPG
You are in someone's Auction domain - which list all auctions of this Maazios user.
KG_auction_domain_seen_by_JD.JPG

Now you realize why the firewall/portforward setup correctly is needed - so that other Maazios users can see and do things to your "stuff" and vice versa.
ProfessorM

Postby SlyckScratch » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:03 am

This IS spam (which is against the rules here) but you've bothered to engage our users so i'm going to move this to the developers section of the site until I can read through your stuff properly
I know what you're thinking, punk. You're thinking, 'Did he use six superfluous adjectives or only five?' To tell the truth I forgot myself in all this excitement - but as I deal in English, the most powerful language in the world with subtle nuances that may blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' Well do you punk?
SlyckScratch

Postby jimmy90 » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:52 am

This looks interesting.

How does the search mechanism work? Does it query a central index?
jimmy90

Postby ProfessorM » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:38 am

I hope SlyckScratch does not kill this thread - many concerns/questions file trading also encounter.

Maazios search - every Maazios user has a piece of the index (overlaps with each other). So when you search, first it takes a look at the piece of index in your computer; then it asks other people to take a look at their index and any matching index entries are returned to you. Now, Maazios right now is not too aggressive with asking others lest your broadband is chewed up too much; that's why there's a "extended" search - long term search that does not end until 1000 results found or you stop/delete it.

Keep in mind that Maazios has a pseudo Domain name system and it does not hold on to a connection to another Maazios user for a long time like some other p2p systems. BUT, that's also why Maazios requires you to allowing incoming connections (firewall allow and portforward setup) so others can view/interact with your created application items directly because we don't use supernodes (unfair to waste supernodes' bandwidth being the middleman). The Big Picture - every Maazios user can be connected to directly by others and everyone carries their own weight in the network - this is the most fair system I feel.
ProfessorM

Postby ProfessorM » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:41 am

New users have spoken - I will add and change a couple of things so that you can easily see whether you are connected to others and others are connected to you. Major apologies to those frustrated looking at the software and not sure what's going on. I guess I got carried away with keeping all the UIs minimal.

The current 1.0 does not have these new helpers yet so please wait for 1.1. Thanks.
ProfessorM

Postby ProfessorM » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:02 pm

Hello Everyone,
I just finished version 1.1 and it's up on the maazios website (later for cnet/tucows). Apologies to everyone who tried 1.0 and was confused about the software. 1.1 installs much faster (< 1 minute) and now shows your Maazios computer's connectivity to other Maazios users - this will help you troubleshoot your firewall/router if necessary as well as allow you to check out another Maazios user's domain page and application items quickly.

So please give us 1 more chance to demonstrate what is possible with P2P.

Thanks.
ProfessorM

Postby TorrentMama » Wed Sep 13, 2006 2:16 pm

TorrentMama

Return to Developers Forum