Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Rendezvous: University LAN IM and File-Sharing?

A place for developers and programmers of file-sharing software to discuss issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Rendezvous: University LAN IM and File-Sharing?

Postby Widdle » Fri Aug 19, 2005 1:42 pm

Although I am not a programmer, I am curious as to a possibility.

I recently found out that because of bandwidth costs, my college has restricted internet bandwidth to 1.5GB up and down combined per week. This makes pretty much all P2P unusable. There is a silver lining to this, however, LAN traffic is not capped or monitored since the rationale for other bandwidth limits is cost, this is unneccessary.

My question pertains to a protocol called Rendezvous that was created and open-sourced by Apple. This protocol creates networks over LAN's. Would it be possible to use this as a type of P2P? Trillian already incorporates this feature into it's PRO version IM client, but it is for pay. It does allow for file transferring, but not for file sharing. Is this a feasible idea? Is there another protocol or implementation that would serve this purpose better?

Would it be better to build something like this as a plug-in inside Trillian, or as a standalone app?

Any thoughts or information you could provide would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Widdle

Postby jetiants-tk-user » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:32 pm

first, there is a project to combine p2p and IM, search google for downhillbattle gaim plugin
but nothing released.

then your requst to protocols breaking through firewalls,

there is one protocol which can do this, this is the ants protocol

try it

antsp2p.sf.net

or here:
http://jeti.jabberstudio.org/webstart/j ... iants.jnlp

shoudl connect easily after a few miutes.
jetiants-tk-user

Postby AussieMatt » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:48 pm

The Dowhill Battle project was being developed by
Syn Ack Labs and they released a Linux clinet but have had trouble porting to windows so if you run linix the source code is availible.

The Downhill Battle team have been very busy with thier DTV project .

Cutlass
http://cutlass.info/
AussieMatt

Postby sa302 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:55 pm

jetiants-tk-user wrote:then your requst to protocols breaking through firewalls,

He didn't ask about that.

Keep in mind that jetiants-tk-user was recently banned from ZeroPaid for having consistently spammed about ANtsP2P for a very long time. Now he has moved his operation over to Slyck, so expect him to mention ANts or JetiANts on every imaginable occasion. Enjoy!
sa302

Postby Widdle » Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:39 pm

I don't want to break through any firewalls. I only want to be able to share within a LAN.

Check this URL and scroll to the bottom of the page.
http://www.ceruleanstudios.com/faqs/

It will work for file transfers without going outside of the LAN, but it will not provide a search feature of people using the program within the LAN. Since it says that it works completely decentralised that means that it already employs a type of P2P network, correct?

Thanks again for the help...
Widdle

Postby jetiants-tk-user » Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:33 pm

thanks AussieMatt
you are really an insider !
jetiants-tk-user

Postby tm, » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:00 pm

There are many ways that you could share files over a network. If it's a very big university, one of the easiest ways that might work in a pinch could be to simply restrict the IP range - either using your firewall or IP blocklist - to block out all non-university IP addreses.

Other methods are going to take some investigation or organizing to make sure that other students know about it. A university-only DC hub would be a good choice. Limewire can be set up as a network-only P2P. A lot depends of what other people are already using.

Another advantage of sharing over a local network is that you don't have to worry much about being hunted down by the anti-P2Ps.
tm,

Postby AussieMatt » Fri Aug 19, 2005 8:19 pm

You can always set up a WASTE Mesh or a DC Hub or simmilar p2p programs while running Hamachi or some other SSL tunnel
AussieMatt

Postby serrebi101 » Fri Aug 19, 2005 9:32 pm

here you go
http://lan2p.smashsworld.com/
I used this on my lan,
it's also posible to sucurely connect lans using this proticall together,
have fun...
serrebi101

Postby Widdle » Sat Aug 20, 2005 2:27 am

Thank you all very much for the input. Every idea is currently on the table and I will be discussing them with other interested parties. I believe we will shy away from a DC Hub or anything that would require a server of any flavor. The Lan2P thing looks really promising. Thanks alot serrebi. We will definitely look into the IP range filtering as this is a VERY large university. I believe that there are several P2P apps that provide internal IP filtering. Perhaps all that would need to be distributed would be the IP tables. At any rate, I really appreciate the help, and if anyone ever has anymore suggestions, please post them! I will definitely be monitoring this one in the future.

P.S. Since the network is very large, it may have more than one subnet, will the Lan2P program be able to traverse?
Widdle

Return to Developers Forum