Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Movie/TVShow Streaming P2P Program

A place for developers and programmers of file-sharing software to discuss issues.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Movie/TVShow Streaming P2P Program

Postby _eAgLe_ » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:07 am

Hey all, sorry about alkl these questions lately :roll: ....... :D . Anyway, i have an idea.... And I would like to hear any suggestions and criticisms from anyone....

Here goes, is THIS a good idea:

Say there was a P2P app just for streaming movies and tv shows, well videos i guess.... anyway, these video files would be split up into parts about 500KB in size for a dial up connection (crappy quality videos) and about 2 MB for fast connections etc.. anyway, it is easy to do it for 2 mbps connections bexcaus all you have to do is use a video cutter to split the video file, but harder for a 56K connection because the user would have to recompress the video into crappy quality (Which doesnt take long because of the crap quality)... Now on this network there are moderators, and the moderators are the only ones alowed to share NEW files, so this will prevent fakes. I will monitor the moderators..
If yopu are not a moderator, you can download and upload, but only files that are already on the network, you just cant share any new ones....

The program downloads part1 of the video and plays it while downloading part2, then plays part2 and so on, so this will give a streaming effect, i am on a 550 mghz pc and there is only about a 0.2 second blackness between loding each video, so theres no probs there... Currently i can only allow each part file to be downloaded off one person (Part 1 can be downloaded from abc and part2 can be downloaded from the same person or someone else, you just cant download 'partONE' ffrom 2 people at once, cause im simply not that good :D). SO anyway, before downloading the part file off that person, it will chek to see if they are already uploading to someone, if they are, then it will search for other people on the network with the same file who are not uploading, this will keep the network faster....

Anyways, searching will be done as fgollows: there is a list of moderators in a file on the net which will be upadated daily, when searching, a computer will connect to the moderator and ask for the file, if they dont have it, it will conect to the next moderator and son, until it finds a mdoerator with it (PS, just as a side note, the moderator has a list on there computer of everyone that has fully downloaded there moderated file) so then the moderator will check to see if any of these people are online and still have the file. It will then send u the results of th search displaying all the moderators and other people with that movie/ tv show....... then u can begin to download part1 and so on.. the program has a built in media player which will automatically switch from part1 to part2 etc...

Im not sure how i would monitor modderators though on the network..... hmmm.... :shock: :? :roll: this gives me something to think about
i hope this all made sense, lol, i hope sonmeone will read something this long :lol:

Anyways any input at all would be appreciated... GREATLY
If you have any questions i'll be happy to try and answer them.
TIA everyone.
_eAgLe_

Postby no_dammagE » Thu Feb 10, 2005 6:41 am

hmm, peercast (http://www.peercast.org) does theoretically the same thing, the only difference: they use a media container.
The advantage is: you insert blocks into a container of a streaming type (NSV, WMV etc.) and your player threats it as a stream and not as separated videos.
You can insert every type of video and audio into such a container. For example you can insert OGG audio and xVid MPEG 4 video into an OGM file. This one can be then streamed. xVid itself is AFAIK not streamable.
Windows? Blah. Linux? Blah. BSD? Blah.
Just make sure you have a computer licence and I can open your fsckin files.
Vorbis | Theora | LaTeX | OpenDocument
no_dammagE

Postby _eAgLe_ » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:09 am

Yes but it appears that peercast can only handle NSV and WMV video files, which aren't that great quality.... It looks like a good program, i never realised it existed. My idea would have avi video playing integrated though. not sure about wmv though, its a differnt story. Thanks no_dammagE, anymore input anyone?
_eAgLe_

Postby _eAgLe_ » Thu Feb 10, 2005 7:13 am

I just checked out that program, i would have to say that its not nearly like my idea, but still a decent one... I checked a few minutes ago, there was only about 13 video files being streamed, so its not really any good, no tv shows or movies etc either. So does anyone have any thoughts on my original idea?

Anything will be appreciated
_eAgLe_

Re: Movie/TVShow Streaming P2P Program

Postby linoaqui » Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:52 am

Forget Bittorrent, forget Limewire, forget sites like TV-Links (R.I.P.). Graboid offers high quality videos at nearly on-demand speeds for free. Finally, nearly every TV show or movie at is at the tip for your fingers in seconds.
It’s not exactly the next P2P boom, but a platform like this is closer to the future of online entertainment than anything else today.
Sure, the program’s a little buggy (still progressing from beta stages), but once you get it up and running, you’ll feel like you’re in heaven. The interface is similar to P2P platforms, and easy to navigate. Within thirty seconds, I was streaming a full-length high quality TV episode. When downloading I averaged 1mb a second.
linoaqui

Postby tazammal » Fri Sep 19, 2014 7:23 am

Say there was a P2P app just for streaming movies and tv shows, well videos i guess.... anyway, these video files would be split up into parts about 500KB in size for a dial up connection (crappy quality videos) and about 2 MB for fast connections etc.. anyway, it is easy to do it for 2 mbps connections bexcaus all you have to do is use a video cutter to split the video file, but harder for a 56K connection because the user would have to recompress the video into crappy quality (Which doesnt take long because of the crap quality)... Now on this network there are moderators, and the moderators are the only ones alowed to share NEW files, so this will prevent fakes. I will monitor the moderators..
If yopu are not a moderator, you can download and upload, but only files that are already on the network, you just cant share any new ones.... :toast: :lookup:

Postby sunnyd » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:27 am

We have forum rules that state not to bump an old thread unless there is a good reason.

9) Don't bump/revive old threads without a good reason. The longer a thread has been inactive, the better the reason for bumping it needs to be.

tazammal, I see absolutely nothing worthwhile in your post to justify bumping a NINE year old thread. :roll:
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Return to Developers Forum