Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Internet disconnects after I start Ares

Discussion about the Ares/Warez P2P program
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Internet disconnects after I start Ares

Postby eyelevel » Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:19 pm

Ive been using Ares for a couple years now and love it. Around a couple months ago I started getting a problem with it. When I would start Ares my internet would disconnect after about a minute of running. Its not like Im losing my connection completely but Ares wont d/l and I cant browse webpages. Whats weird is while those things lose connection IM programs, like Xfire, stay connected and I can IM people. After about 3-5 minutes my entire connection will return.

I just recently upgraded to the newest version to see if that would help and it hasnt. :(

What is going on here?
eyelevel

Postby HouseCrowd » Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:44 am

Hmmm ... What type of connection do you have? ... ADSL/Cable? Wireless/wired router? USB/Ethernet Modem?
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby eyelevel » Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:02 am

I have a 3mb cable connection. My computer sits behind a wireless router.
eyelevel

Postby HouseCrowd » Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:20 pm

I would suspect the problem is with the router and/or your wireless adaptor. Are you able to try it with a wired connection to the router? If not, try installing the latest driver for the adaptor and upgrade the router's firmware with the latest version.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby Gausselimination » Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:51 pm

HC is right on here. some wireless routers dont like lots of conections like from p2p programs.

another way to help this is to assign a port through VPN on your router if it has the option. that way the NAT wont get in the way.
Gausselimination

Postby eyelevel » Sat Jan 27, 2007 1:51 pm

How do I do the VPN thing? Is that through ares or my router interface?

Also, while I believe you guys are prbly right about the router thing, it used to work before with no problems when I had the very same hardware. :?
eyelevel

Postby HouseCrowd » Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:50 pm

eyelevel wrote:
Also, while I believe you guys are prbly right about the router thing, it used to work before with no problems when I had the very same hardware. :?

If the problem is a firmware/driver bug, it could work fine for a while and then a seemingly insignificant/unrelated change elsewhere (additional/updated software, ISP connection changes, etc) could 'trigger' a problem ..... the complexity of technology these days is such that there are so many factors involved you could liken it to chaos theory at times, in that it can be near impossible to pinpoint an exact cause and path of some problems.

It's not certain that the driver/firmware updates will fix the problem, but if they're out of date it is certainly the best thing to try first, and updating them should be beneficial anyway.
HouseCrowd

Postby eyelevel » Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:40 pm

Well, my driver for my nic was out of date, and my firmware on my router was out of date. I updated both after a clean install of windows and everything seemed fine for about 10mins. Then the problem came again and after 3-5mins of ares activity I lose connection with most programs and firefox.

Could someone please recommend a similar program to Ares? Maybe one that uses the same network?
eyelevel

Postby HouseCrowd » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:22 am

Here's all the Ares clients in Slyck's list:

http://www.slyck.com/programs.php?net=2
HouseCrowd

Postby eyelevel » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:13 pm

Thanks for the link. :D I tried out warez(which I guess is only bit torrent?), filepipep2p(didnt connect), and KCeasy. I had some luck with KCeasy but it seems to be lacking quite a few results in search as opposed to Ares. At least it doesnt kill my internet though. 8)

I still wish I could get Ares working correctly.
eyelevel

Postby HouseCrowd » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:40 pm

I still think the issue is with your wireless adaptor or router. Have you been able to confirm whether it works ok if you use a wired connection to your router?
HouseCrowd

Postby eyelevel » Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:41 pm

The computer Im using is on another floor in the house and would take a good 300ft of ethernet to reach the router, w/o drilling holes in the floor. Ill try installing Ares on the computer connected to the router tomorrow and mb that will tell me something.
eyelevel

Postby HouseCrowd » Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:53 pm

Drilling holes in the floor sounds like more fun to me ... Go for it! Who needs wireless when you've got a large drill bit!? :lol:
HouseCrowd

Return to Ares/Warez P2P