Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Friggin spyware crap

Discuss the clients (Piolet, Blubster, RockItNet) that connect to the Manolito P2P network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Friggin spyware crap

Postby dareino » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:34 pm

Its been awhile since I used Blubster and totally forgot about the clean version. Well I guess you know what happened next..anyways after deleting all that crap, I just uninstalled Blubster never to have to deal with that crap again. Then I d/l Piolet! D'OH!!!....same shit, different App.. I should have know when I realized it was the same programmer!!! Crap...can anyone tell me what MP2 file sharer program that kicks ass w/o this BS!...I want to get back into the game....Dam I miss Napster :(
thxs for listening to my rant
dareino
dareino

Postby DaBlade » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:01 pm

What about totally dropping mP2P?
There are loads of better alternatives.
To name a few:
BitTorrent
WinMX (Is also a moderately good OpenNap client)
OpenNap*
*OpenNap is the open source, massively improved Napster protocol. The most modern clients even feature multisourcing, and I've heard of one(don't remember the name) that can multisource a file from different servers(networks) too.
Welcome back to Napster 1(with improvements). :mrgreen:

BTW, Welcome to Slyck! :mrgreen: :D
LinuxP2P.com - Share The Penguins!

"A life without knowledge is death in disguise." - Hans-Peter Geerdes
DaBlade

Postby dareino » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:10 pm

Thxs bud...I do use bit torrent for all my "other" needs but its not as suited as those MP2 programs I was /am used to..Ill try open nap, I see its available for linux..
thxs for the quick response...
dareino
dareino

Postby j_dogg » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:14 pm

The latest Piolet release (1.8.3 beta) doesn't contain blatant spyware, you can choose to not install it during the instalation process. This version is without a banner ad also.
Grab it from here.Just pay attention during the install process and untick the nessecary boxes.

If you wish to change networks, do some research, don't just take peoples word for what is the best. Slyck's List of FileSharing Programs, a great place to start. Have a look through the descriptions etc and see which one you think will suit your needs, and give it a try.
j_dogg

Postby Nessmaster » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:34 pm

Try WinMX it has an Open Nap protocall and its a great place to get MP3s (I'm guessing thats why you were using MP2P)
Nessmaster

Postby Mel_Smiley_VIP » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:52 pm

Right now I use opennap more than the winmx network. Its great to be on a private server!
You see us as you want to see us...
In the simplest terms, in the most
convenient definitions.
Mel_Smiley_VIP

Postby Nessmaster » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:26 pm

When ever I am in desperate need of some new music. All I do is boot up my WinMX.exe, download a server list, connect and download till my partition is out of bytes.
Nessmaster

Postby dareino » Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:35 pm

Ok, I d/l winmx and and I am very happy camper....thanks
:D
dareino
dareino

MP@P has gone to Sh*T

Postby dsquared » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:29 am

I too went to use MP2P after a long layoff. I found them all to be: spyware, trojan, virial pieces of sh*t. Don't give no story about one version being clean.
I tried Blubster 2.5 Clean, Piolet 1.05 & 1.83 - they were all loaded with spyware (Webrebates, Web Optimizer, Win comm and assorted other crud) trojan (
TROJ_AGENT.BF) and viruses (dropper.delf.3L & Downloader.Dyfica.2.AQ) - this once neat little client has turned into a festering pile of goat feces.

BTW to get rid of all this stuff goto:
http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.ph ... opic=47745
dsquared

Postby DaBlade » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:02 am

dude, the way to clean spyware is to get Spybot.
DL it, install it, do the backups that appear in for the first time u run it, update it, immunize and then Search and Destroy. :D
Pop goes the spyware...
And...USE WINMX!!! :lol:

DaBlade

Postby red duck » Fri Oct 22, 2004 10:07 am

*curiosity DB

you recomended spybot without recomending ad aware + 2p mentioned you having something against ad aware.

may i ask you to share with me what do you have agaist ad aware?
there is new p2p site
...and it's growing.

The site is UP :)
red duck

Location: lemme think......... oh i forgot NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS ! ! !

Postby DaBlade » Fri Oct 22, 2004 11:03 am

Too lazy. Try finding it out urself.
http://www.slyck.com/forums/search.php

DaBlade

Postby miner » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:37 pm

red duck wrote:you recomended spybot without recomending ad aware + 2p mentioned you having something against ad aware

dablade is against anything with a pro version.
miner

Postby Solomon » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:37 pm

The Clean Blubster from ePirate.net is clean. Ive just tested it.
Solomon

Postby Mr. Alzheimer » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:44 pm

I've heard good things about SoulSeek, but I've never tested it. I believe it to be for mp3's only, like MP2P.
Mr. Alzheimer

Postby red duck » Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:58 pm

thanks miner
there is new p2p site
...and it's growing.

The site is UP :)
red duck

Location: lemme think......... oh i forgot NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS ! ! !

soulseek

Postby dinosaur1972 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 5:03 pm

I use SoulSeek once in a while - it's great for rare files and albums - stuff that I can't find on any other network. I'm pretty sure it's mainly for mp3's though.
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams
dinosaur1972

MP2P

Postby dsquared » Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:45 pm

Dude - I have been running spybot and adware and trying to clean the sh*t out - Adware and spybot couldn't find half the fecal matter and neither was able to remove all of it. Each one of these MP2P apps was loaded with little Cracker Jack toys - They required repeated booting in safe mode to manually remove and repeated scans with trend micro because AVG was not finding them - I am sticking to winmx
dsquared

Postby mx'er » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:00 pm

http://www.pestpatrol.com/

It's not free but it kicks A... and good email support - u send an email - u get a 'real' response.

Yes, here's to winmx and bitorrent etc. There may be others with better mp3 search features, but they're all spyware crud!!
mx'er

Postby SlyckTom » Wed Nov 17, 2004 1:51 pm

Check out all the antispyware program used just to get rid of all the crap on Grokster...

http://spywarewarrior.com/asw-test-results-1.htm

seems like you need an army of programs just to keep your system clean...
SlyckTom

Postby mx'er » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:17 pm

I hear you slycktom, the internet is a joke with the bs scumware all over the place!!

Three layers [and careful surfing] keep me pretty safe - NAT router, antivirus and scumware detection.

I've read up a bit on spywarewarrior - looks good - must do an A/B test of it.
mx'er

Postby mx'er » Wed Nov 17, 2004 2:48 pm

WOW!! I didn't read the url properly at first, then had a look at the test results and how they used grokster as a test. It's a nightmare!!

Giant AS seems to stack up pretty good :)
mx'er

Postby Joe_Rigby » Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:24 pm

Ares is a good P2P client. I prefer it. Use Spybot, AdAware, Giant, and HiJackthis! .. Always seems to work well enough for me.
Joe_Rigby

Postby Artie » Wed Nov 17, 2004 4:39 pm

I second HiJackThis. Just be careful what components you remove with it. A few of them will be necessary system components. When in doubt, do a Google search on the component. As great as Adaware, Spybot, and the rest are, their spyware-removing capabilities are only as good as they're programmed to be.

Also, something useful to have on hand is LSPFix. In the event you remove a piece of spyware/adware/malware/whateverware, and then discover that you can't connect to the Internet, LSPFix may be able to fix it. It'll save you the trouble of having to reinstall your OS.

And interesting link there Tom. I guess if people don't take the time to educate themselves first on what they shouldn't install, they'll just have learn the hard way. Latest news is that Grokster is in talks with Sony BMG. You could smell the greed coming a mile away.
Artie

Postby Joe_Rigby » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:11 pm

There's a small utility - I think it's called winsockxpfix that works wonders with damaged sock layers (It replaces them)
Joe_Rigby

Return to Manolito P2P (MP2P)