Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Is MP2P UDP anonymous?

Discuss the clients (Piolet, Blubster, RockItNet) that connect to the Manolito P2P network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Is MP2P UDP anonymous?

Postby necbrownie » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:36 pm

I was on the piolet site and found the following........

MANOLITO is based on top of the UDP transport protocol. This is big advantage over TCP/IP for two very significant reasons. Firstly TCP/IP is reliable. This means that it is not anonymous. File sharing can be tracked and subsequently shut down by the-powers-that-be. This is not the case with UDP. Secondly UDP is faster than TCP/IP, if you don’t believe it – test it yourself.

here is the link
http://www.piolet.com/protocol.html

It sounds like they are saying that UDP protocols are anonymous. However, I heard that no P2P protocol is currently anonymous. Are they saying the UDP is more secure but not completely secure? Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks.
necbrownie

Re: Is MP2P UDP anonymous?

Postby gregorio » Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:42 pm

necbrownie wrote:I was on the piolet site and found the following........

MANOLITO is based on top of the UDP transport protocol. This is big advantage over TCP/IP for two very significant reasons. Firstly TCP/IP is reliable. This means that it is not anonymous. File sharing can be tracked and subsequently shut down by the-powers-that-be. This is not the case with UDP. Secondly UDP is faster than TCP/IP, if you don’t believe it – test it yourself.

here is the link
http://www.piolet.com/protocol.html

It sounds like they are saying that UDP protocols are anonymous. However, I heard that no P2P protocol is currently anonymous. Are they saying the UDP is more secure but not completely secure? Can anyone clarify this for me? Thanks.

MP2P has taken certain actions to hide the identities of its users (e.g. a certain amount of spoofing, encryption etc.) but considering the resources of BayTSP and the like, tracking down users is not really difficult. So far one or the other type of attacks is possible against all networks, even users of MUTE or AntP2P can be tracked down, the difference is that you get 100 IP addresses of people sharing copyrighted files per day instead of 100,000 but it's still more than you could ever sue.
LimeWire 4.13 is out. Don't miss it!
gregorio

Postby Asuran » Wed Sep 15, 2004 6:46 pm

UDP alone is no more anonymous than TCP. And unless it's explicitly mentioned that MP2P uses spoofing, it most likely isn't and encryption has nothing to do with anonymity. A lot of apps make completely baseless claims about 'anonymity', while others actually are somewhat untraceable.
Asuran

Postby shellreef » Tue Sep 28, 2004 10:00 pm

MP2P doesn't (currently) perform spoofing of any kind. As Asuran said, there is no anonymity advantage of using UDP over TCP unless spoofing is involved--in fact, the latest version of Ethereal can sniff MANOLITO packets and record their source/destination/forwarded addresses:

Here you can see the highlighted packet came directly from 207.10.150.20, and was not forwarded (0.0.0.0).

Pablo has said Piolet may include spoofing in the future, but so far nothing has come of this. Its true that UDP can be faster than TCP in some cases. Using UDP for a P2P network is appropriate, as search queries, pings, and responses can be sent quickly without the connection establishment/teardown overhead of TCP, but UDP doesn't provide any inherent anonymity.
shellreef

Return to Manolito P2P (MP2P)