Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

open source shareaza

Discuss the clients (Piolet, Blubster, RockItNet) that connect to the Manolito P2P network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

open source shareaza

Postby saythiswilldie » Tue Jul 13, 2004 10:27 pm

is it possible for you to just pick up on the open source shareaza and add m2p2 to it etc ?

also put in all you fast program download/upload skills :)
saythiswilldie

Postby Mrs. 2p » Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:51 am

well, developers will come along to answer this properly. However, in general, multinetwork connection is not usually considered a great idea, because you lose connection quality.

As bigwillystyle42 once clearly put it to me: you can connect good enough to various networks with one multinetwork application, or you can connect great to various networks using various dedicated clients.

Since most computers today have enough RAM to support various clients at the same time, and since you can always use one and then the other, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to use those multinetwork programs.

So if Manolito works fine with MP2P, and shareaza works fine with G2 (not so much with the others!), why would you want to combine them?

I realize how it's more comfortable and straightforward to havea an all-in-one, believe me, I used to search for the ultimate application myself. But it really isn't that much of a nuisance to use various different clients and networks... :wink:
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Don't you just love a good read?
Mrs. 2p

Postby jlh » Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:33 am

Shareaza should now concentrate to the networks it already has. It's great for G2 and IMHO good enough for the other 3 networks, but there are still a lot of things that need to be tweaked and improved. So don't expect any new networks to join in at the moment or in the near future. (Neither as a plugin, because that's not possible.)

(...and don't ask for it on the Shareaza forums, because we're sick of hearing that. :D)
jlh

Postby j_dogg » Thu Jul 15, 2004 3:52 pm

If you are a dev, then yes you could take the source from Shareaza and add new networks. But how are you going to add MP2P, when it is a closed source network?
j_dogg

Postby BigWillyStyle42 » Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:57 pm

Same way eMule came into existence... duh.
BigWillyStyle42

Postby j_dogg » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:12 pm

Good to see your in a freindly mood BWS!

Your right though, it is possible to add a closed source netowrk, my bad. Just makes it harder though.
What would be involved? I no programmer. I'd take it you'd need to reverse engineer the protocol.
j_dogg

Postby ROYGBIV » Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:35 pm

I also think it's better to have different clients to do the job. I tried Shareaza once and didn't like it. I thought it would be good (combining e-Donkey network, BT, Gnutella) but when trying the e-Donkey and BT part I was completely dissappointed. eMule and BitTornado work fine as seperate clients. They can both run at the same time using very little RAM. So I would take 2pstudents advice and use seperate clients to get the bset out of each network.
ROYGBIV

Postby ToM » Fri Jul 16, 2004 7:36 am

Agree with the comments already made. Also I believe Shareaza would have been strong enough to survive as a Gnutella and Gnutella 2 client rather than going multinetwork.
Pirate.
ToM
©

Postby lovedrug » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:39 pm

actually i feel it should drop g1 . ive said it in their forums . most of my downloads come from edonkey in shareaza . my brother (no offense) hates shareaza and my sister used it yesterday (not a happy user after using it) . her comment was '' whats pending'' why is it still sitting there o_0 .

if its working on g2 - please make it grab more sources and ones that are open for download .250 sources and the download not starting scares me .

im not looking to just add all these networks for the hell of it . when i say more networks , i dont mean everything just cause im network happy. i just want some ''good'' fast downloads .

so far the networks and their clients that have done this were

mp2p (piolet) :D
edonkey (some emule mod with kad)-(shareaza)
open ft (kceasy)
g2 (sometimes/undecided)-(shareaza)

i dont like
kazaa - fake files
soulseek (yet/undecided) - slow as hell (great for rare stuff but ive found dcc with the right hubs will find rare stuff)
g1- hardley connects and by the time it does ive downloaded the file i needed .

winmx is almost on my craplist for getting disconnected . i just love those people who wait when youre at 97% and then they cut you off or the ones who wont share at all .

right now im having fun with dc:pro v.0.2.3.43
lovedrug

Postby Ooble » Sat Jul 17, 2004 5:12 am

lovedrug wrote:winmx is almost on my craplist for getting disconnected . i just love those people who wait when youre at 97% and then they cut you off or the ones who wont share at all.

When does this happen? I use WinMX a lot and I hardly ever get this.
[code:1]char str[20];
scanf("%19s", &str);
if (!strcmpi(str, "Hello, world!"))
printf("Hello, programmer.\n");[/code:1]
Ooble

Location: Wouldn't you like to know, SlyckTom? Just so you can sell my address to the RIAA? No chance.

Postby lovedrug » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:19 am

youre the first person ive heard say that . a lot of people offline and online have had this problem . ive been a winmx user ever since napster went down . some people get a kick out of disconnecting you at 97% etc.

one of my lil bros friends has admitted to doing this before and my older bro used to do it .
lovedrug

Postby lovedrug » Sat Jul 17, 2004 8:46 am

i was thinking before and out of nowhere i kind of hope mp2p stays audio (ogg,mp3 etd.). not going into things like programs and video .

can you make a p2p program and assign it to download only certain files from a network , even when its already sharing all files on other clients on that network. what are the pros and cons of this ?

also , it would be kool if a site was made with a p2p network for unsigned bands etc.

wouldnt that make the legal issues go away and riaa or whatever . if the site and program promotes non label bands . i mean , we know there will be users to share known bands that are signed but its at their own risk . it wouldnt be the developers responsibility anymore ? or would it ?
lovedrug

Postby shellreef » Sat Aug 21, 2004 9:03 pm

j_dogg wrote:Good to see your in a freindly mood BWS!

Your right though, it is possible to add a closed source netowrk, my bad. Just makes it harder though.
What would be involved? I no programmer. I'd take it you'd need to reverse engineer the protocol.

I've reversed most of the protocol, see http://openlito.sourceforge.net/ . All that's left is reversing the algorithm for the 16-bit checksum.
shellreef

Postby j_dogg » Sun Aug 22, 2004 12:02 am

Interesting project. Good luck on completing it. Although i take it you've got a bit of work ont he table with the new beta.

I'm wondering with the encrytion is uses, will older clients be shut out, there must be some sort of backwards compatibility in place to allow a smooth turn over.
j_dogg

Return to Manolito P2P (MP2P)