Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Piolet isn't connecting

Discuss the clients (Piolet, Blubster, RockItNet) that connect to the Manolito P2P network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Piolet isn't connecting

Postby drewey » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:48 am

Since i downloaded it about 5-6 hours ago, i haven't managed to be able to connect to the network.

not sure why... it just says 'connecting'...

any help would be good
"Losers think sacrifice is a punishment, not a necesity."
drewey

Postby tarp404 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 1:53 am

I hate to sound harsh but Piolet sucks ass, use something else and you won't have problems.
what what in the butt
tarp404

Postby LaX » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:35 am

tarp, what was the point of that? Let him try it.

Do you have a router? If so, you probably need to forward the ports. I'm not too sure if it uses UPnP
LaX

Postby Trev0r269 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:39 pm

I found piolet is fickle with firewalls and anything else potentially blocking ports. Try turning the firewall off (not all day), and seeing if it connect. This will help you figure it out, and if you can't, then we can help you easier.
Trev0r269

Postby P2P_G » Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:17 am

I have firewall on(ZoneLabs) and the Clean Blubster connects :) i dont know why people cant connect :S
Piracy Will Never Die.
P2P_G

Postby drewey » Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:02 am

Trev0r269 wrote:I found piolet is fickle with firewalls and anything else potentially blocking ports. Try turning the firewall off (not all day), and seeing if it connect. This will help you figure it out, and if you can't, then we can help you easier.

whats a firewall? how do u turn it off?

lol im new to this... dunno if i have a router.

but i haven't been able to connect since i downloaded it. Same thing happened with WinMX.
drewey

Postby tarp404 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:25 pm

Put simply, a firewall is supposed to keep hackers from fucking up your computer by denying connections from the internet unless you initiate the connection first.

There's 2 kinds of firewalls, software and hardware. You probably have at least a software firewall is you've got the latest windows. There are also firewalls in some antivirus suites and of course firewall suites like Zonealarm. A hardware firewall is a separate piece of equipment that sits between you and the internet, but does the same thing. Routers have firewalls in them, as well as some modems that ISPs provide.

A router sits between your modem and your computer, and it allows multiple computers to use the internet connection at the same time as well as the firewall capability. There are wifi routers and ethernet routers. You've got a ethernet router if there's a box between your computer(s) and your modem with a shitload of wires coming out of it going to each computer. You've got a wifi router if your computers have wifi and the wires end at the router. All of this functionality can be built into the modem your ISP gave you to connect to the net, so you'd need to look there too, to make sure.

Sorry if I was being harsh before, but like I said there really are better alternatives and many of them don't require you to know this stuff or work on figuring this stuff out (though it really is quite basic).

Tune in next week to Tarp's Teaching Class, when we'll discuss LAN subnet adresses and port forwarding!!
what what in the butt
tarp404

Postby drewey » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:16 pm

tarp404 wrote: All of this functionality can be built into the modem your ISP gave you to connect to the net, so you'd need to look there too, to make sure.

I have dial-up

To be honest i don't understand what your saying, so i think im gonna download blubster and see how that goes. what are the chances it connects?

I know winMX had java or something, maybe thats why piolet didnt work?
drewey

Postby tarp404 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:36 pm

Oh. If you have dialup you don't have any of that stuff, except for the windows firewall. Access to it is somewhere under your system settings, I think. I wouldn't turn it off though, if I were you.

These applications are all for broadband users, so even if you do get it working, don't expect much at all.
what what in the butt
tarp404

Postby tm, » Fri Feb 10, 2006 9:51 pm

Piolet (MP2P) will not connect to the network at all if your computer will not accept unsolicited incoming connections. (Running a firewall is not the same as "being firewalled" - which means ignoring incoming connections)

So make sure you forward your ports (if on a router or some firewalled DSL modems). Most software firewalls like Zone Alarm or Sygate will automatically open ports for P2P programs, but you may need to do this manually if the Windows XP firewall is active.
tm,

Postby drewey » Sat Feb 18, 2006 6:53 pm

tm, wrote:Piolet (MP2P) will not connect to the network at all if your computer will not accept unsolicited incoming connections. (Running a firewall is not the same as "being firewalled" - which means ignoring incoming connections)

So make sure you forward your ports (if on a router or some firewalled DSL modems). Most software firewalls like Zone Alarm or Sygate will automatically open ports for P2P programs, but you may need to do this manually if the Windows XP firewall is active.

I've downloaded piolet and blubster, and neither connect.

I've just re-read this post... how would i do this?

Thanks
drewey

Postby LaX » Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:10 am

If you have a router, find the model on http://www.portforward.com and follow the instructions. If you have a nice firewall (not WinXP's firewall), you can turn the Windows Firewall off.
LaX

Postby drewey » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:24 pm

LaX wrote:If you have a router, find the model on http://www.portforward.com and follow the instructions. If you have a nice firewall (not WinXP's firewall), you can turn the Windows Firewall off.

I dont know what model my router is?

i have the latest windows but im on dial-up
drewey

Postby carcassfan » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:29 pm

if your on dialup, you dont have a router. If you dont know what a router is then you definitely dont have one ...though I have seen stranger things :shock:

how is your pc connected to the internet? do you just have a phone cord plugged into the back of your pc and dialup to get online?
"I don't like repeat offenders, I like dead offenders."

-Ted Nugent

God Bless America!
Tekk wrote:most of the things being pirated are obscure mexican bands
carcassfan

Postby drewey » Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:13 am

carcassfan wrote:how is your pc connected to the internet? do you just have a phone cord plugged into the back of your pc and dialup to get online?

yes
drewey

Problems connecting - Port 41170 are open

Postby endfx » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:32 pm

With no firewall, manolito and piolet work.
With my firewall on, but port 41170 open it will not connect -- port forwarding, etc seems to be setup.

Has anybody found a real solution to this problem?
endfx

Return to Manolito P2P (MP2P)