Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Choosing alternatives

Discuss any general File-Sharing Topic or Issue

Please use the relevant forum below for non file-sharing issues or questions about a specific program or network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Choosing alternatives

Postby no_dammagE » Sat Aug 21, 2004 8:14 am

First, sorry for my English - I'll try to do the best out of it :)
----
You still remember when you the first time installed Morpheus after Napster died? And after Morpheus was booted off FastTrack you of course wanted to stay on this great network and moved to KaZaA.
But after a while Adware began to play on your nerve and you found out that already KLite exists.

Well, most of the users still use K++ 2.4.3 and don't either want to upgrade to clean versions >= 2.5 of KMD or don't want to choose the laternative although they noticed that it is not the same quality of the search results as it was in the good old days.

I dumped KaZaA back in 2000 when I found eDonkey2000 and some time later Shareaza as alternatives to KaZaA...I just uninstalled it and because I'm interested in testing new versions of p2p applications, I periodically installed clean versions of KaZaA onto my machine, too. But the network became slower and slower and the search results more than just poor.
It is not just RIAA's fault which scared ppl off the network - K++ with its Auto Search More did much more harm. It is a circle: supernodes become overloaded because people with ASM (Auto Search More) activated flood them and the other way around because now supernodes can't serve the load people send more ASM requests.
Fortunately, all KaZaA versions prior to 2.5 are now connected to a small cluster and this cluster is not properly connected to the rest of the FastTrack populated by KaZaA 2.5+

If you want to stay on FastTrack, take clients which don't harm the network - Clean KaZaA's 2.6/2.7 or if you are a tough guy or girl grab the latest KaZaA version off http://www.kazaa.com

Now I'll talk about the aternatives to KaZaA separated for big and small file sizes.
It is very important that most people move to one or two good alternatives, so I won't do a long list, but I'll try to inform you about the advantages and disadvantages in a very objective way. Although ... it is never possible ;)

---
Alternatives for music and small applications[up to ~50 MB]
For small files such advanced features as PFS (Partitional File Sharing) and very wide searches are not so important, but the client has to make sure that there are fast and relatively wide searches.
This requirements are fulfilled by the most Gnutella clients and a great implementation is also done by Ares/Warez.
Don't be scared off by the word Gnutella: I followed its development since September of 2002 and it became a very powerful and fast protocol. Don't think of the old Morpheus 2 (old Gnucleus) which wasn't able to do any proper searches and transfers anymore. Now it is a very great resource.

Gnutella
Gnutella is an open protocol which currently is a protocol seeking a healthy ballance between both big and small files and is currently perfect for music (videos) and applications. But if you don't want to install a secondary client, it will do also a nice job for movies and games.
It is also available for most (actually all with a C compiler) plattforms. Windows, MacOSX and Linux/UNIX users are populating this network.

Windows users are advised to use either BearShare Lite available at http://www.bearshare.com/lite, Limewire available at http://www.limewire.com or KCEasy available at http://www.kceasy.com . All of them don't install any Ad- or other Crapware.
Your search won't stop until your client didn't find enough search results on the network and the alt-src-mesh will find additional possible sources as soon as you start a transfer and connect to at least one uploader.

BearShare and LimeWire (already in beta available) will soon implement firewall to firewall transfers which will make the experience for users on colledge networks or behind misconfigured firewalls/routers much better than on KaZaA or any other similar client. Just check for updates here on Slyck or on official websites.

[Ares/Warez]
I started using Ares when it was a Gnutella client. Then the developers created their own protocol. I think they moved to their own protocol because the_gdf (Gnutella Developer Forum) discussed about new implementations too long and the development of the protocol slowed down.
The end product was the fully new Ares with a GUI very very similar to KaZaA to make an easier jump for KaZaA users. After a while warez.com took Ares and now the Ares with KaZaA's GUI is Warez while Ares itself has a "lite" GUI.
Both contain additional *ware (call it as you wish to), but it is very easy to remove it with SpyBot.
Both return very fast searches and provide fast downloads.
Get either ares at http://www.softgap.com or warez at http://www.warez.com

Both Gnutella and Ares clients support hashlinking. Additionally Gnutella clients have the bitzi.com database available at http://www.bitzi.com where users can find files and vote about file quality.

Big files
The clients designed for big transfers are not very useful for small files - either because the transfer will take too long (eDonkey) or the transfer will be too fast and the source will die (BitTorrent).
Yes, here are eDonkey and BitTorrent introduced.
eDonkey
eDonkey by Meta Machine reinvented the P2P wheel: it allowed PFS (Partitional file sharing) and large-scale downloads. It's strong side (network's one) is the ability to save files for years. Still very old Sharereactor releases are available on the network with a lot of sources.
I started to use eDonkey ... aah, to he honest I don't even really remember when ;) I think since 2000 or 2001 ... doesn't really matter.
The new eDonkey now supports Overnet to be not dependent on the servers and the horde transferring system creates a BitTorrent-similar environment which allows fast downloads (depending on your upload speed - the higher it is, the better partners you have). With horde, one file doesn't have to stand in queue if others are also interested in downloading from you.
Well, still the downloads are not so fast as on KaZaA or BitTorrent - but the speed on both KZ and BT cost storage times. Either use eDonkey and love it or try it and either love or hate it. But test it for at least a week (!)
Forget single oggs or mp3s on this network. Full albums is what you can get from eDonkey properly.
Get either eDonkey at http://www.edonkey2000.com / http://www.overnet.com or eMule at http://www.emule-project.net
eMule has a credit system which gives you advantage in remote queues if you upload much and the other way around. The choice is behind you.
I used both, but sticked to eDonkey what doesn't mean that eMule is worse. They are both of the same quality.
eDonkey has optional adware, eMule has nothing but eMule in the installer.
BitTorrent
BitTorrent is compared to eDonkey on the other side of the big file cluster. Much faster transfers, but low retention times. If you are looking for the newest stuff, use it. Suprnova is your first choise. You won't have to wait for the "100%"-status in the most cases too much. But still P2P depends on overall upload speed, so don't expect light speeds for every torrent - this leads to bad dreams while you are sleeping. Most torrents (downloads) live two weeks, then all sources are away, but of course there are downloads which live much longer - a lot of suprnova's torrents are older than several months or even older.

There are a lot of clients available - I will call here only Azureus, BitTorrent and BitTornado.
Azureus is a java client running on every plattform with a nice GUI and always implements newest BitTorrent's protocol extensions what leads to better downloads. http://azureus.sf.net is the address.

BitTorrent is well ... BitTorrent - the official one. Implements always the freshest updates of the protocol, but don't await too much from the interface - it is simple and doesn't provide anything unneeded.
Just go to http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/ to get the latest version.

BitTornado is a BitTorrent mod with a lot of great extensions making the life easier, but don't expect too much from the GUI, too ;)

Just take your favorite. All of them will download and upload same good. Make sure to let the download running even after your status is already at 100%, try to upload as much as you downloaded

All of them contain no additional unneeded stuff.
-------
Conclusion
Everything depends on your habits. If you are a music guy (or girl), use Gnutella or Ares. Else use eDonkey or BitTorrent. But not all together, it will just kill your bandwidth.

If you still want to stick with KaZaA - it is your choise. I don't say that KaZaA is very bad. It is just out of date and not good for all of use. Still, respect every single network and if you really want to respect them, make sure that you are always up-to-date unless the developer says that a build is maliscious.
Sharing and updating is the best thing you can do a network. Just don't be too lazy to update.[/b]

PS: Admins, please edit my errors or nuke this thread for my bad English and flaming :]

PPS: I hope you like this "article" ;)
Last edited by no_dammagE on Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows? Blah. Linux? Blah. BSD? Blah.
Just make sure you have a computer licence and I can open your fsckin files.
Vorbis | Theora | LaTeX | OpenDocument
no_dammagE

Postby Mrs. 2p » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:05 am

Great post, no_dammage! :D It'll be wonderful to have something to link the newbies to when they come in asking "Best p2p for....?" Now we'll have the_kid's articles on why you shouldn't ask for "a" p2p, what to watch out for, and this to help out in making a choice. Thanks!

PS. I'd me more than happy to correct the grammar and spelling, but they're not too serious, and the message comes accross very well.... let me know,
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Don't you just love a good read?
Mrs. 2p

Postby HouseCrowd » Sat Aug 21, 2004 10:17 am

Nice work no_dammagE!! :D

... though I think it's more like a FGA (Frequently Given Answers) than a FAQ ;)

I'll make it sticky ....

Thanks!
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby Mrs. 2p » Sat Aug 21, 2004 11:37 am

great idea, HC. How would you feel about slightly changing the title, no_dammage? Something that includes the word network, or p2p, or "best" or "which one?, so that our new visitors will click immediately... (like Choosing your network, or something)
Blessed is the fool who dares giving advice, for he shall be wiser thanks to others' mistakes. J. M. Serrat
Mrs. 2p

Postby tm, » Sat Aug 21, 2004 12:58 pm

Good article!

Many of us now use KCEasy (with the Fasttrack Plugin added) instead of Kazaa-Lite.

I was going to add one more major P2P to the list, but I think I should leave that to Halofan. :P

Halo, where are you?
tm,

Postby dakiller » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:40 pm

Excellent post no_dammagE

Well done 8) 8)
man,i'm sick of following my dreams
i'm just gonna ask where they're headed and hook up with em later

-MITCH
dakiller

Postby miner » Sat Aug 21, 2004 1:58 pm

good article. excellent info. :D
miner

Postby iNaNimAtE » Sat Aug 21, 2004 2:43 pm

2pstudent wrote:great idea, HC. How would you feel about slightly changing the title, no_dammage? Something that includes the word network, or p2p, or "best" or "which one?, so that our new visitors will click immediately... (like Choosing your network, or something)

You overestimate new users. The "New Topic" button is a lot more inviting than a thread to read =).

Good article. I actually wrote one similar a year or so ago, pretty outdated now though... hehe.

EDIT: 2pstudent, aren't you a moderator anyway?
Attention P2P goers! Learn how to tag your media!
iNaNimAtE

Postby no_dammagE » Sat Aug 21, 2004 6:30 pm

thanks for the replies, guys.
Of course, that doesn't mean that now new users will move to alternatives off KaZaA during one single moment, but also some advanced users are sticking to old versions of software or to brand names. I hoped to show the situation to at least some of them with this article.

I will rename the thread to "Choosing alternatives", without the FAQ-word now.

Thanks for reading, Slyck's community just rocks :)
no_dammagE

Postby Mrs. 2p » Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:58 am

iNaNimAtE wrote:2pstudent, aren't you a moderator anyway?

yes, I am :D but I don't have a policy of going around changing people's posts and/or topic titles without their consent unless there's a good reason... :wink:
Mrs. 2p

Postby iNaNimAtE » Sun Aug 22, 2004 4:39 pm

2pstudent wrote:yes, I am :D but I don't have a policy of going around changing people's posts and/or topic titles without their consent unless there's a good reason... :wink:

Ah, well no problem with that philosophy =).
iNaNimAtE

Postby BigWillyStyle42 » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:18 pm

iNaNimAtE wrote:You overestimate new users. The "New Topic" button is a lot more inviting than a thread to read =).

That's why we should make "new topic" take people to the FAQ :P then have a smaller button labeled "real new topic" or something.
BigWillyStyle42

Postby iNaNimAtE » Sun Aug 22, 2004 7:28 pm

BigWillyStyle42 wrote:That's why we should make "new topic" take people to the FAQ :P then have a smaller button labeled "real new topic" or something.

Ooh... I like that idea. Either that, or have it redirect to "search.php," or even use Cookies so that the first time you click on "New Topic," it would send you to the FAQ, and the rest of the times you would be sent to the new topic page.

Ray or Tom, hook me up with the viewtopic.tpl file in the /templates directory, and I'll make the changes immediately!
iNaNimAtE

Postby jonnyd » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:45 am

i didn't know bearshare was working on firewall to firewall transfers too!
jonnyd

have you tried ares yet?

Postby tater » Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:55 am

i came across ares a couple of days ago, and i cant believe the speeds, so has any one have any coments about ares good are bad.... also how does one find verified sites to see whats offered on ares any comments, oppionions, are info like to hear more :)
tater

Postby Mrs. 2p » Tue Aug 31, 2004 9:09 am

As I posted in the thread you started, I'm sure if you look around the forums you'll find a lot of information. Please try to post each question/issue/problem/comment once, as it is very confusing to have two parallel conversations on the same subject :wink:
Mrs. 2p

Postby Prelude76 » Tue Oct 19, 2004 12:40 pm

thanks for dumming down the audience

on one hand, you mention useless P.O.S. programs like bearshare and shareaza, and on other hand, you totally leave out the great mp3 program Soulseek and the best place to find rare gems, DC++.
Prelude76

Postby no_dammagE » Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:34 am

If there will be no demant for an Ubuntu tutorial, I'll emideately add following applications/networks (unless they are already in List):

DC
OpenNap
Slsknet
Peer2Mail/similar ones
KDrive & Waste
MP2P
giFT apps
mlDonkey apps (since Morph 5 is spyware-free)
and as soon as brainstorming will move me further, I'll extend the article

Thanks for criticism
no_dammagE

Postby bitz » Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:00 pm

no_dammagE wrote:If there will be no demant for an Ubuntu tutorial, I'll emideately add following applications/networks (unless they are already in List):

DC
OpenNap
Slsknet
Peer2Mail/similar ones
KDrive & Waste
MP2P
giFT apps
mlDonkey apps (since Morph 5 is spyware-free)
and as soon as brainstorming will move me further, I'll extend the article

Thanks for criticism

You could add Freenet, Entropy, i2p, mute, antsp2p, circle, gnunet to that list. :wink:

Though I do not know if mute and entropy have binaries for Ubuntu just yet. I'm sure you could find someone nice enough to compile some for it.
bitz

Return to General File-Sharing Discussion