Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Not A Book - weird file name

Discuss any general File-Sharing Topic or Issue

Please use the relevant forum below for non file-sharing issues or questions about a specific program or network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Not A Book - weird file name

Postby jgt1942 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:32 am

The past several months I've noticed post with a weird subject such as the following.
NOT A BOOK <Some Author> - [Shaker 01] - <Some Title> (v5.0) (epub).rar = 4169-31407-4794.rar.txt (1/1)

If I download the post the file name is
<Some Author> - [Shaker 01] - <Some Title> (v5.0) (epub).rar = 4169-31407-4794.rar.txt

What the heck do I do with this file?

Recently I saw that one poster added to the subject "Search 4 Numeric String at End of Subject"

I attempted searching for the numeric string and only found the original post.
Last edited by MrFredPFL on Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: forum rules
jgt1942

Re: Not A Book - weird file name

Postby ejonesss » Tue Jul 15, 2014 10:25 am

i have seen this practice done on ebay

ebay it is being done (i think) to keep the listing legal to quell complaints of getting info instead of actual hardware.

newsgroups the search filters are not as good as ebay so the "not" operator does not work to exclude words.

because of that they may be exploiting the fact there is no "not" operator and adding not to the keywords to force the results to always have unwanted items.

also beware there may be viruses in the those files and even worse you cant tell it is fake since it is a small file like a book or a [k]

where as a movie you can tell since a 100k file would not be a movie.
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Postby jgt1942 » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:30 pm

Thanks for the FB, hopefully somebody has more details. For now I've been ignoring the files, as you suggested they may be a virus. Over the last couple of years the amount of newsgroup postings containing a virus seems to have significantly increased by a huge amount. It is at the point where I manually delete most of what I download (I estimate I delete about 90 percent) and this makes the effort to download and clean up very questionable, e.g. it is MUCH more work than the value received. My AV application is VERY active when downloading and testing the downloads.
jgt1942

Postby fmpol » Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:51 pm

I believe these messages are used to announce the posting of an e-book. I've always assumed that some users decided it would be a good idea to not attach the title and author's name to the e-book file itself (to circumvent the simplest of automated searches and takedowns by rightsholders), so they came up with a way to generate a filename made up simply of numbers. A poster would then post both (1) the numbered e-book file and (2) a text file which would have a title associating the number with the title/author. That would facilitate both the selective downloading of newly posted e-books as well as future searches for that e-book.

For example, let's say you're looking for the e-book version of "My Romance" by Mary Jones. You do a search on binsearch or whatever for that title and author, and the result you get is a file titled "NOT A BOOK - Mary Jones - My Romance (retail) (epub).rar = 12345-23456-34567.rar.txt". That file isn't meant to be downloaded, it's just the poster's way of telling you to now search for "12345-23456-34567.rar". You search for that, download the .rar file, and then enjoy your new e-book.

I was surprised to see such a simple and transparent convention in use, but it seems to work for now.
fmpol

Postby jgt1942 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:09 pm

Previously I had searched for the number and only got a hit for the NOT A BOOK posting I previously found. I just ran another test and this time using a different number I did find a .rar file that contained the book. I guess it was fluke with the first book.
jgt1942

Return to General File-Sharing Discussion