Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

news groups

Discuss any general File-Sharing Topic or Issue

Please use the relevant forum below for non file-sharing issues or questions about a specific program or network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

news groups

Postby stringman44 » Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:13 am

being connceted to a vpn, would i be able to find different files say in Europe that I can't get in US? I am using newsleecher. Would I have to sign up with a European firm? TIA, Pete
stringman44

Re: news groups

Postby HouseCrowd » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:39 am

No, using a VPN will make no difference.

For the most part, all news service providers carry the same content, regardless of location. It can vary slightly which groups they maintain, and of course some NSPs have less completion and retention than others, which will make a difference to the available content of course, but most releases in the popular groups propagate to all the NSPs.
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Re: news groups

Postby ejonesss » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:53 am

a word of warning about using vpn when paying for something online.

due to high incidents of fraud and data breaches in today's world it may not be a good idea to use a vpn while using any payment methods online.

because the card can be flagged as fraudulent because the purchase shows in a foreign country or coming from a different location than what you normally use.

housecrowd is right in a vpn would make no differences in the content

a vpn can hinder in some cases because the newsserver can detect connections from multiple ip addresses and can lock down the account for a few minutes (astraweb does that.

a newsserver with encryption can help prevent isps from know what you are downloading but your isp can still see large amount of data coming from a given source (correct me if i am wrong)

a vpn would only help if your isp is throttling based on the source.

another reason for the difference in content is the dmca some newsservers get dmca complaints and remove content (astraweb removes the entire binary and marks it as dmca so you will know).

tweaknews.eu seems to have better content partially due to the server being in dutch region makes dmca requests not valid unless it is illegal in europe too.

i had some troubles with signing up for ssl-news.info due to possible maps email abuse partnership with my isp blocking the receipts thinking they was spammers.

ssl-news.info is what the release group town.ag uses to post to alt.binaries.town so i am not sure how dmca resistant that ssl-news is.
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Return to General File-Sharing Discussion