Slyck.com
 
Slyck Chatbox - And More

Kazaa is out and I'm lost!

Discuss any general File-Sharing Topic or Issue

Please use the relevant forum below for non file-sharing issues or questions about a specific program or network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Kazaa is out and I'm lost!

Postby Talmadge » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:06 pm

For years, literally years I have used Kazaa to download everything, Music, Applications, Movies, TV Shows, Doccuments, everthing.... Anything I wanted was there. There were normally 20 milion users or more online all of the time. Now I can't even find a good node list to make the d**n thing connect. So I go hunting. I tried Bit Torrent, Maybee I'm just stupid, but I can't even begin to understand how that one works. It was all so simple with Kazaa! I was in Wal-Mart the other day looking at i-pods for my daughter some lady says Lime wire works fine for me, anything I want is there just type it in and I get it. So I get Limewire, now all I get is buy the real version and you'll get good downloads but the main website always says that they only have 2,539,219 hosts online. Is a host a user? or a node? And why so few? Kazaa always had 20 million users plus at any given time until a few months ago. I have been jacking with limewire for a month now and have only been able to download a little under 100 files. Tried Sharezaa, what is that crap? the search for the most popular artist that I could think up returned nearly nothing in results and all of the downloads shut down within a few minutes. Tried ARES/Warez that was junk. So what now? Have they finally shut down fileshareing or is there someting that is useable for the plain old non-programer out there that wants to be able to type in a file name and get the file in a reasonable amount of time with out having to pay a fortune for a file library? Any help on this would be greatly apreciated.
Talmadge
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:42 pm

Re: Kazaa is out and I'm lost!

Postby indecision04 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:23 pm

try bittorrent again
indecision04
 
Posts: 103
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:49 am

Postby Progz » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:58 pm

well you do try warez 3? at http://www.warez.com

if not maybe frostwire?

I mean just because 20million people are online doesn't mean its gonna have your stuff...i mean im pretty sure the 2k of people will all your stuff

edit: actually i would say try ed2k i mean from what you like it seems like you would like it also...its pretty nice to....

http://www.emule-project.net (download that)
then i recommand downloading a server list @ http://ed2k.2x4u.de/index.html

if you need any help post here or @ http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=21
Last edited by Progz on Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Progz
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:32 pm

Re: Kazaa is out and I'm lost!

Postby webe3 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:02 pm

Talmadge wrote:For years, literally years I have used Kazaa to download everything, Music, Applications, Movies, TV Shows, Doccuments, everthing.... Anything I wanted was there. There were normally 20 milion users or more online all of the time. Now I can't even find a good node list to make the d**n thing connect. So I go hunting. I tried Bit Torrent, Maybee I'm just stupid, but I can't even begin to understand how that one works. It was all so simple with Kazaa! I was in Wal-Mart the other day looking at i-pods for my daughter some lady says Lime wire works fine for me, anything I want is there just type it in and I get it. So I get Limewire, now all I get is buy the real version and you'll get good downloads but the main website always says that they only have 2,539,219 hosts online. Is a host a user? or a node? And why so few? Kazaa always had 20 million users plus at any given time until a few months ago. I have been jacking with limewire for a month now and have only been able to download a little under 100 files. Tried Sharezaa, what is that crap? the search for the most popular artist that I could think up returned nearly nothing in results and all of the downloads shut down within a few minutes. Tried ARES/Warez that was junk. So what now? Have they finally shut down fileshareing or is there someting that is useable for the plain old non-programer out there that wants to be able to type in a file name and get the file in a reasonable amount of time with out having to pay a fortune for a file library? Any help on this would be greatly apreciated.



I understand your fustration as to not having anything else to get your files on. But mabye this is a good thing and may keep you from getting sued! Do you know HOW MANY "bots" are crawling all over the kazaa network just looking for people sharing illegal stuff?

If you are wanting something "point and click" you could try Limewire Pro...NOT regular Limewire! They both work off the same network, but Limewire Pro is way better in that it does not add spyware to your system when you install. It is also connected to the gnutella network....one of the oldest filesharing networks there is...so they have TONS of stuff. But it is great for songs. It is also "point and click" like kazaa...and GREAT for old songs too!

If you are wanting extremely rare files, you can try emule plus....it has a built in search like limewire pro and kazaa and it has many, many rare files on it, but it is extremely SLOW....so you would have to put up with very slow download speeds. But if you don't mind that and want rare files, you can give that a shot.
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfile ... p_id=71866

But as far as Bit Torrent and having trouble using it? What are you having trouble with??? Basically all you do is download a program like azureus or utorrent and click on the .exe file you downloaded to install that to your computer....then you can go to places like the pirate bay and look for files. When you see a file you want, you simply double click on it....and it should automatically open up your BT client such as azureus and it will ask you where you want to download the file. You tell it where (remember the location or write it down, but usually it automatically brings up the location after it is through) and you can access it with windows explorer.


You can download utorrent here: (great for slower computers) Simply install that on your computer and when you go to a BT site, just click on the file you want and the download should start automatically.....)

http://www.filesharingplace.com/downloads/utorrent.php

OR Azureus here: (it uses more rescources on your computer and you have to have java runtime enviornment installed: you can get JRE here:
https://sdlc5e.sun.com/ECom/EComActionS ... 7F42F264EF just install JRE first, then azureus)

http://azureus.sourceforge.net/download.php

Then you can go to this site and it has a link to 500 places you can go to for torrent files: (NOTE: some are private BT sites, those usually have to have an invitation to join or make you wait until there is an opening like http://www.torrentbytes.net does)

http://www.btsites.tk/


(just a note about PUBLIC BT sites....they have been known to be watched and tracked by the authorties and private BT sites are much safer (though NOTHING is COMPLETEY safe...remember that) , but a site like the pirate bay is out of US jurisdiction and is probably a decent site for a newbie such as yourself....but you can go to the other links in that 500 BT sites list I gave you....just be careful! The best thing to do is to stay off of sites like mininova, they do have tons of files and also draw the attention of the authorties.

If you are wanting all different kinds of files and fast download speeds , then you need to learn how to use Bit Torrent. But it really is not that hard. You just have to be careful what site you visit because you upload the same time that you download on Bit Torrent and your upload speed also determines how fast you download. BT is very easy to getan IP from but unless you are sharing the newest movie, song, program etc. you should be OK.
webe3
 
Posts: 756
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 2:01 pm

Postby endgame07 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:43 am

There were normally 20 milion users or more online all of the time.


I was looking at the stats for the past year or so and never see more than 3 million. Am I missing something here?
endgame07
 
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2005 8:13 pm
Location: Pennsylvania, USA

Re: Kazaa is out and I'm lost!

Postby P2P_G » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:50 am

Talmadge wrote:For years, literally years I have used Kazaa to download everything, Music, Applications, Movies, TV Shows, Doccuments, everthing.... Anything I wanted was there. There were normally 20 milion users or more online all of the time. Now I can't even find a good node list to make the d**n thing connect. So I go hunting. I tried Bit Torrent, Maybee I'm just stupid, but I can't even begin to understand how that one works. It was all so simple with Kazaa! I was in Wal-Mart the other day looking at i-pods for my daughter some lady says Lime wire works fine for me, anything I want is there just type it in and I get it. So I get Limewire, now all I get is buy the real version and you'll get good downloads but the main website always says that they only have 2,539,219 hosts online. Is a host a user? or a node? And why so few? Kazaa always had 20 million users plus at any given time until a few months ago. I have been jacking with limewire for a month now and have only been able to download a little under 100 files. Tried Sharezaa, what is that crap? the search for the most popular artist that I could think up returned nearly nothing in results and all of the downloads shut down within a few minutes. Tried ARES/Warez that was junk. So what now? Have they finally shut down fileshareing or is there someting that is useable for the plain old non-programer out there that wants to be able to type in a file name and get the file in a reasonable amount of time with out having to pay a fortune for a file library? Any help on this would be greatly apreciated.


Dude, Kazaa/Fasttrack has never had 20 million users online, it had maximum 4 million online some years ago :roll:

If you need rare files your should try eMule( http://www.emule-project.net )

If you need mp3s LimeWire should do the job, maby winmx? You could allways try DC++...And Ares is good too.
Piracy Will Never Die.
User avatar
P2P_G
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:27 pm

Postby IceCube » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:21 am

I can suggest going through the Slyck guides and looking for something that might suit you well.

I personally can recommend Shareaza if you feel like trying multiple networks at once (G, G2, ED2K, and BitTorrent) but don't assume it is an accurate representation of each network as generally specialised clients handle the respective non-G2 clients (as Gnutella2 is the official network for Shareaza) Just some suggestions from me:

ED2K network - eMule (eDonkey2000 official client has adware - specifically "WhenUSave")

BitTorrent - Azureus (for power users) or uTorrent (for simple BitTorrent usage)

Gnutella Network- Don't use the network, but I've heard good things about FrostWire

UseNet - Grabit (though keep in mind, UseNet has a steep learning curve if you havn't used it befor. I still don't know everything aobut it myself still - though most of that it through lack of time)

WinMX - Again, don't use the network, but more and more people seem to be recommending the WinMXGroup patch instead of the Vladd patch (again, don't know anything, so this recommendation likely means nothing coming from me)

Hope that helps. Trust me though, you'll find more files on some other networks like Gnutella1/2 and ED2K at least. I got other people onto those networks because they found out that there are actually more search results on those networks.

And yes, fake files arn't the norm outside of Kazaa. Kazaa numbers are faked through the client.

Either way, there's a lot of alternatives to the FastTrack Network. Check through the guides for any help. Extra help can be either searched for or found by asking here as Slyck has a very knowledgeable userbase. :)
User avatar
IceCube
 
Posts: 17079
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:31 pm
Location: Igloo Country?

Postby zbeast » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:57 am

Ya kazaa had at most 4 to 8 million users.
For security reason I have not used it for years.

One advantage that kazaa did have is that it could blow through most firewalls.

These days I use torrents.
Azureus. http://azureus.sourceforge.net/
Torrents are best used for video and applications.
One great tool to help you find torrents is torrent harvester.
http://torrentharvester.awardspace.com/
Take a look at the guides on slick how to use torrents there easy.


http://computer.howstuffworks.com/bitto ... /printable


For smaller files I use emule.
http://www.emule-project.net/home/perl/general.cgi?l=1
Its no way as fast as kazaa when it comes to finding an downloading files but you will get the files.

For just music I use SoulSeek
http://www.slsknet.org/

My last tool is Limewire it operates on the gunella network.
It's also not a fast network but it has a lot of users so its a good choice for the files you just cant find.
http://www.limewire.com/english/content/home.shtml

There's nothing I cant find using a combination of these networks.
Last edited by zbeast on Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zbeast
 
Posts: 6783
Joined: Thu Apr 01, 2004 5:20 pm
Location: Behind that itch. yes, that one right there.

Postby Skunky » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:01 am

Everyone has his own favorite proggy's..

If you mostley download single mp3's i would advise you to use Limewire.(looks/works a bit the same as kazaa)

I personaly used to use Shareaza for single mp3's but somehow it won't give me the same download speeds as limewire does. (Altough it connects to the same network)

But like others already stated, give bittorrent a try aswell, will be worth the effort..
User avatar
Skunky
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Wed Oct 19, 2005 3:07 pm
Location: Netherlands

Postby Anonymous » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:35 am

Progz wrote:well you do try warez 3? at http://www.warez.com

if not maybe frostwire?

I mean just because 20million people are online doesn't mean its gonna have your stuff...i mean im pretty sure the 2k of people will all your stuff

edit: actually i would say try ed2k i mean from what you like it seems like you would like it also...its pretty nice to....

http://www.emule.com (download that)
then i recommand downloading a server list @ http://ed2k.2x4u.de/index.html

if you need any help post here or @ http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=21





No no no no you do not download emule at that site..
Anonymous
 

Postby IceCube » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:55 am

LinkS wrote:
Progz wrote:well you do try warez 3? at http://www.warez.com

if not maybe frostwire?

I mean just because 20million people are online doesn't mean its gonna have your stuff...i mean im pretty sure the 2k of people will all your stuff

edit: actually i would say try ed2k i mean from what you like it seems like you would like it also...its pretty nice to....

http://www.emule.com (download that)
then i recommand downloading a server list @ http://ed2k.2x4u.de/index.html

if you need any help post here or @ http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=21





No no no no you do not download emule at that site..


Yeah, the correct link is http://www.emule-project.net (though I think the correct links have already been posted.
User avatar
IceCube
 
Posts: 17079
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:31 pm
Location: Igloo Country?

Kazaa

Postby Lee1001 » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:25 am

I think most of us started on Kazaa I did,I even bought the add free version.The big advantage of Kazaa was the ability to find small files ie single songs ,old movies, tv shows ect this is not always possible on bittorrent.Now days I use µtorrent the most;for rare and difficult to find I use Emule almost allways find what I'm looking for ie last week only found <edit - read forum rules please> ect on emule.Anyhow in it's day Kazaa was the best now it seems to be µtorrent and slow mule oops I mean emule
Lee1001
 
Posts: 670
Joined: Tue Mar 07, 2006 6:12 am

Postby IceCube » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:34 am

I started out on the original Napster myself. ;)
User avatar
IceCube
 
Posts: 17079
Joined: Tue Jun 14, 2005 5:31 pm
Location: Igloo Country?

Postby MattMerch » Mon Sep 04, 2006 5:48 am

i started on irc then napster then onto audiogalaxy
missed the kazaa boat :(
Signature censored by slyck
User avatar
MattMerch
 
Posts: 184
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 4:00 am

Postby Progz » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:42 pm

IceCube wrote:
LinkS wrote:
Progz wrote:well you do try warez 3? at http://www.warez.com

if not maybe frostwire?

I mean just because 20million people are online doesn't mean its gonna have your stuff...i mean im pretty sure the 2k of people will all your stuff

edit: actually i would say try ed2k i mean from what you like it seems like you would like it also...its pretty nice to....

http://www.emule.com (download that)
then i recommand downloading a server list @ http://ed2k.2x4u.de/index.html

if you need any help post here or @ http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=21





No no no no you do not download emule at that site..


Yeah, the correct link is http://www.emule-project.net (though I think the correct links have already been posted.


whoops guys! :oops: I didn't mean to say that one :?
Progz
 
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:32 pm

Postby yaveznodo » Mon Sep 04, 2006 12:56 pm

ftp's, then http sites, then audiogalaxy/kazaa (when it wasn't nasty), soon migrating to bittorrent, and now finally most of my downloads are from usenet (apart from music, where Soulseek will always rule).

It's a shame Kazza screwed up so badly, because it could have remained king. The technology was good, it was the fakes, the RIAA stooges and the lawsuits that killed it.
User avatar
yaveznodo
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:29 am
Location: Dark Paradise

Postby P2P_G » Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:28 pm

yaveznodo wrote:ftp's, then http sites, then audiogalaxy/kazaa (when it wasn't nasty), soon migrating to bittorrent, and now finally most of my downloads are from usenet (apart from music, where Soulseek will always rule).

It's a shame Kazza screwed up so badly, because it could have remained king. The technology was good, it was the fakes, the RIAA stooges and the lawsuits that killed it.


Yeah you are right, i still miss kazaa and fasttrack :( It was a sweet network some years ago with many rare files....
Piracy Will Never Die.
User avatar
P2P_G
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:27 pm

Postby jonnyd » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:08 pm

I've used almost every filesharing app there ever was. I started out on napster, then kazaa.. meanwhile i would experiment with gnutella clients.. tried winmx shortly after that..tried ed2k, couldnt figure it out cuz i was dumb.. tried mp2p once or twice.. followed shareaza's dev. from the early stages. And bounced around all of those for quite some time. Now I have settled on he things in my sig :lol:
|eMule|Shareaza[g2 only]|uTorrent|
jonnyd
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:03 pm

Postby yaveznodo » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:31 pm

What are the speeds like on G2 (Shareaza)? I haven't tried the app in over a year, I might give it another go again. :)
User avatar
yaveznodo
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:29 am
Location: Dark Paradise

Postby P2P_G » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:42 pm

yaveznodo wrote:What are the speeds like on G2 (Shareaza)? I haven't tried the app in over a year, I might give it another go again. :)


Its faster than Gnutella i think....and it doesnt have much crap :)
Piracy Will Never Die.
User avatar
P2P_G
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:27 pm

Postby yaveznodo » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:54 pm

I'll give it a whirl now, I'm thirsting to use a new app, been a bit stody lately using the same things over and over again :)

EDIT: I can't believe Shareaza is still alive! It's f**cking awful. Worse speeds on this than emule, and the search sucks even worse than the last time I used it (only connecting to G2). People are actually using this to share files? How?
User avatar
yaveznodo
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:29 am
Location: Dark Paradise

Postby jonnyd » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:45 pm

maybe your firewalled? ONly use it for G2.. works wel for me..
|eMule|Shareaza[g2 only]|uTorrent|
jonnyd
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:03 pm

Postby P2P_G » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:46 pm

@yaveznodo, weird the last time i tried G2(with Shareaza Plus) it worked super...very good search results and good speeds, yeah ur maby firewalled?
Piracy Will Never Die.
User avatar
P2P_G
 
Posts: 2783
Joined: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:27 pm

Postby jonnyd » Mon Sep 04, 2006 3:51 pm

im not even using shareaza plus and im doing fine.
|eMule|Shareaza[g2 only]|uTorrent|
jonnyd
 
Posts: 64
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2004 4:03 pm

Postby yaveznodo » Mon Sep 04, 2006 4:09 pm

I'm definitely doing something wrong here then, damnit! I forwarded the port, exception rule in my firewall, and I'm still getting terrible speeds. I'll give it another shot tomorrow.
User avatar
yaveznodo
 
Posts: 1511
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2006 2:29 am
Location: Dark Paradise

Next

Return to General File-Sharing Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests

© 2001-2008 Slyck.com