Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Unpacking files

Discuss any general File-Sharing Topic or Issue

Please use the relevant forum below for non file-sharing issues or questions about a specific program or network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Postby zappauk2003 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 11:50 am

You need burning software that can burn image files which as I said would be Nero or Alcohol 120% (sure there will be others but these are the two I use)

Burning, simply refers to putting it on disc.

Once you have one of these pieces of software then select - burn image file to disc -.

click the cue file and then the image file will be burned onto disc.
Finally getting around to trying out Linux, life's hard when you lack intellect.
zappauk2003

Postby goldenfox134 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:16 pm

Thanks for that,i havent got a dvd or cd writer though is there any other option?

Cheers Robert
goldenfox134

Postby konkat » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:18 pm

As well the bin/cue can be mounted in windows using Daemon Tools or any other virtual CD driver so that the movie can be previewed before archiving to disc (or if you don't have a CD burner).

-------------------
Back to the first post I'd also include: the motivation of splitting RARs into parts instead of one big RAR (naming of pieces); using no compression when archiving already compressed content (MP3s, Xvid); Checks and what can be done about corrupt archives (SFV, PARs).
konkat

Postby goldenfox134 » Mon Jul 18, 2005 12:58 pm

Arghhh,this is driving me mad.downloaded Virtual daemon manager v3.47 ive got my CD1.cue and my CD1.bin at the ready.ive tryed it and now ive got a drive E.which has a folder called MPEGAV inside theres a huge file called AVSEQ01.DAT its icon has a white background with a small notepad on it.Also i dont have a cd/DVD writer.Any ideas?,excuse all these questions.Thanks Robert
goldenfox134

Postby ilbozo » Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:32 pm

You need a media player like "Media player classic" or VLC to play the file, its known as an SVCD. google for either of them. then right click on the file and go to open with and select the player you have installed!
Bob is your mothers brother!
ilbozo

Postby cuki01 » Tue Apr 18, 2006 7:30 pm

tm, wrote:Although it can do a lot of things that Winrar can't, the one thing that it does not support is disk image files (such as .iso) - which Winrar does, but dedicated image-file utilities such as UltraISO support to a much greater extent.

PowerArchiver:

"Read and extract support for: RAR, ARJ, ARC, ACE, ZOO plus ISO, BIN, IMG and NRG disc image formats"
cuki01

Postby shadowedemons » Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:34 pm

how do ppl get an plethora of gbs into a zipped CD image where it fits on one CD-R?
then again, if you're not on slyck then you're on sh.. :)
shadowedemons

Postby IneptVagrant » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:19 am

shadowedemons wrote:how do ppl get an plethora of gbs into a zipped CD image where it fits on one CD-R?

What?

---

I THINK he means how do ppl put a DVD onto 1 cd. The answer is they [which happens to include you and me as opposed to, you know, 'them'] use lossy compression, instead of loseless compression.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby shadowedemons » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:10 am

any good progz that do that?
then again, if you're not on slyck then you're on sh.. :)
shadowedemons

Postby IneptVagrant » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:04 am

shadowedemons wrote:any good progz that do that?

You mean like Xvid?

http://www.doom9.org
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby forkart » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:51 am

tm, wrote:Although it can do a lot of things that Winrar can't, the one thing that it does not support is disk image files (such as .iso) - which Winrar does, but dedicated image-file utilities

I use MagicISO to create and burn iso image. It is a quite good iso creator.
http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-overview.htm
Last edited by forkart on Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
forkart

Postby jokster » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:21 am

Excellent guide
My only small niggle would be that there is no mention of .par (not compression i know but for newsgroup noobs it is a must and they do always come with your rars) and winrars built in repair function (also works on zip files)- which has pulled me out a couple of times.
A guide like this should be manditory reading for anyone new to fileshring.
Capitalism Is Cannibalism
Resistance is fertile
jokster

Re: Unpacking files

Postby Rahman123 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 11:41 am

The ACE format is as powerful as RAR, in most cases the result is a fourth better than ZIP's one. Unfortunately less accepted than RAR, but very powerful.
To handle these files you should use:
WinACE
WinRAR
Rahman123

Re: Unpacking files

Postby AdmiralSmith » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:08 pm

You can unpack archived files with one batch console command. It seems useless because a person can just right click and highlight them all to extract, but some of them embed more archive files inside the outside package. I assume they usually are packaged like that from newsgroups or it is just a old fashioned tradition. The script I am going to share helps out with the rar files embedded after a tar extraction. It can work under Linux too with wine and 7zip. It helps but there is a problem with the location of the extracted files. I could not figure it out but it extracts to the root of the folder archive. It is a help for someone that downloads more than one file. You know leeching away at xdcc and ripping the tar files feels like doing a tape backup and restore procedure.
It is a simple windows console script. Just run where all the extracted tar files are with the embedded .rar files in each folder.

Code: Select all
for /f "delims=" %a in ('dir /s /b *.rar') do "c:\program files\7-zip\7z.exe" x "%a"

I tried to play around with the switches to get it to extract to the folder the RAR is located in but it didn't work for me. It still helps out.
AdmiralSmith

Previous

Return to General File-Sharing Discussion