Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Are we losing the file sharing war?

Discuss any general File-Sharing Topic or Issue

Please use the relevant forum below for non file-sharing issues or questions about a specific program or network.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Are we losing the file sharing war?

Postby Ascendant2k6 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:32 pm

Fucking hell, I am pissed like fuck today with the death of NZBMatrix. It's as if some fuckers came to my home and shot one of my family members.

Many years ago, I thought that the fucking corporations (MPAA, RIAA, etc...) would never win, but over the last decade I've seen many unsettling trends
1) Started off with the death of suprnova. Suprnova was great and unrivaled in the history of BT. Some sites like isohunt, piratebay, and others stepped up to the plate, but they were never as good as suprnova.
2) Eventually I migrated to Usenet over 5 years ago, so I've not kept up with BT. But from sporadic news reading, it seems that BT is losing the war. Isohunt went bust, demonoid got repeatedly taken down, btjunkie is gone, and I piratebay eventually capitulated, and are operating at some reduced capacity.
3) Now Usenet has been hit, and my lifeline NZBmatrix just died. FUCK!!!

Where does this leave us now? Are we losing the file sharing war? Fucking corporations...
Why aren't we fighting back against those fucking bullies? I don't understand why does NZB indexes and Usenet companies like Astranews comply with DMCA takedown? Fucking USA jurisdiction does not extended worldwide you know...

I guess my last question is, what can we do to keep file sharing alive? What will happen when Usenet gets shut down?
Ascendant2k6

Re: Are we losing the file sharing war?

Postby ejonesss » Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:59 pm

i think they fell victim to another copyright scam meant to phish them out of their financial info or to install malware on the servers.
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Postby napho » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:17 am

The war is still on and the pirates are still winning. Maybe you should try private torrent sites. They've been hanging in there and have more content by far then Usenet. It's an ongoing battle, as can be seen by dump sites like Rapidshare etc that give free 3mb/sec downloads one minute, and are practically unusable the next. It's getting difficult to get into private torrent sites, and even all the automated Usenet indexers and ones with forums seem to be closed to new members now.
napho

Postby bigboxes » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:25 am

I feel you really don't know what you are talking about. I realize that you are hacked off as a usenet user. Howerver, I pretty much get what I want over BT. The Pirate Bay is still a great resource. I'm a member of private torrent sites, but usually use them to get non-copyrighted music and videos. I just downloaded 65 new albums (latest releases of the last six months) in a couple of hours. If that's not getting what you want then I don't know what is. The latest movies are available the very day they are released to DVD/BluRay if not sooner. If you are worried about privacy then use SSL and pay for a proxy. The only thing that slows me down is being able to afford the storage space for all this stuff (and it's associated backups). :pirate:
bigboxes

Postby ejonesss » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:17 pm

what do you think of an end user based indexer?

a software that downloads the headers and builds the nzb files?

each user is their own indexer and the only thing stopping that would be.

1. the lifting of the unlimited accounts on newsservers.

2. isps that start cracking down on large data transfers.
…-..-..-..-..-.-----.-…-..-…-..-…-...
ejonesss

Postby Lee1001 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:41 pm

I agree,sort of.It'll soon be illegal for all sites to direct you to copyrighted torrents,and tell you you need a client program like ie utorrent to download a torrent.
Lee1001

Postby craftycorner » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:36 pm

Lee1001 wrote:I agree,sort of.It'll soon be illegal for all sites to direct you to copyrighted torrents,and tell you you need a client program like ie utorrent to download a torrent.

Once it is illegal for sites to direct you to copyrighted torrents, I see one or two things happening.

I see such sites hopping off the USA map onto some other country's, or several, one who is less than willing to bend over for the USA.

The other thing that could happen is indexing files can replace indexing websites. They can be refreshed periodically, and a mirror site system can be set up to protect this network. Demonoid did something similar, they released a zip file of active torrents that the seeders keep seeding. The Pirate Bay did it with their entire website, and there are copies all over the planet in people's thumb drives. If the website does something else as well, something legit like sell fantasy T-Shirts, well, the torrent files can be that much better hidden.

The program DVD Shrink is precisely in that hot spot. The thing is tucked in websites all over this planet that allow you to download it. It's code is the base for many DVD back up programs.

I wrote a book, sorry!
My God, its full of files!

Crafty
craftycorner

Postby Ascendant2k6 » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:03 pm

I guess I'm not a member of any private torrent or NZB site, so I am feeling the pinch. But with all the private sites closed is there anyway to get in? Private sites only have invitations from existing members and sometimes they open registration, but that's like a "time limited" offer right? Perhaps it's time for me to pay more attention to private sites...
Ascendant2k6

Postby Arby » Fri Dec 09, 2016 4:15 am

No, I'm not one of those who downloads zillions of albums and then brags about it on sites like this in order to frighten off newbies who are not real pirates (like tax evading corporations like MPAA and RIAA no doubt).

I'm finding my utorrent to be crappy and altogether not working often. I just had a poke around and came across mention of the old versions before utorrent became a sellout. Of course, On the old version sites I visited (2 in all), the versions offered are not pre Bit Torrent (the company that now owns that client).

What's more confusing is when I wanted to look into a little deeper and possibly jump to something else (still going to I believe), I discovered conflicting information about the 'developer'. I don't know whether some refer to the 'original' developer as the current developer (without specifically saying 'current') because that's a proper reference or because they are misleading us. If Ludwig Strigeus no longer actually develops utorrent, Is he then it's developer?

I don't need the absolute best client. I just don't want a client that is owned by nasty people. Any thoughts?
** about 32 trillion $ sit untaxed in offshore tax havens - and gets used by all sorts of people, including criminals and terrorists - protected by corporatist politicians, while 'leaders' whine that they can't afford social spending and we need law and order governments! **
Arby

Postby craftycorner » Fri Dec 09, 2016 8:14 pm

Arby wrote:No, I'm not one of those who downloads zillions of albums and then brags about it on sites like this in order to frighten off newbies who are not real pirates (like tax evading corporations like MPAA and RIAA no doubt).

I'm finding my utorrent to be crappy and altogether not working often. I just had a poke around and came across mention of the old versions before utorrent became a sellout. Of course, On the old version sites I visited (2 in all), the versions offered are not pre Bit Torrent (the company that now owns that client).

What's more confusing is when I wanted to look into a little deeper and possibly jump to something else (still going to I believe), I discovered conflicting information about the 'developer'. I don't know whether some refer to the 'original' developer as the current developer (without specifically saying 'current') because that's a proper reference or because they are misleading us. If Ludwig Strigeus no longer actually develops utorrent, Is he then it's developer?

I don't need the absolute best client. I just don't want a client that is owned by nasty people. Any thoughts?

We aren't loosing the File-sharing war, you just got yourself a crap client. In my experience, the simpler the client, the smoother it runs. Utorrent is like an obese hippo. For me Transmission is nice and smooth, has the features I need but not the bling I don't. Try entering a search for best torrent client + operating system. You will get a list of clients with pros & cons of each.

Crafty
craftycorner

Postby notbob » Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:43 pm

the filesharing war was lost 10 years ago already, glad to see angry tirades against "the man" are still a thing though
i eat regularly
notbob

Postby bigboxes » Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:53 pm

Still grabbing wtf I want after all these years. It's a game of whack-a-mole. Built a dedicated HTPC early this year. Working on upgrading my file server. Installed Fire TV devices for each TV and cut the cable. Set up a Plex server and now can easily access all my media over the network and WAN. Not sure why you guys admit defeat. Change is inevitable. Embrace that and learn.
bigboxes

Postby Arby » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:47 am

Well, It's back to Shareaza for me. I used to use Shareaza and utorrent. Shareaza I used for individual mp3s. I always disabled it's torrent capability. This time around, I will have it turned on and it will either work or it won't. It's not the end of the world for me, although I do look forward to the end of this world. I grabbed an old movie last night via Shareaza, for the first time using it's torrent capability. It didn't happen zippity (overnight into the morning actually), but it happened. So I'm happy. I don't need the greatest and fastest. I just don't want to deal with nasty companies and people.
** about 32 trillion $ sit untaxed in offshore tax havens - and gets used by all sorts of people, including criminals and terrorists - protected by corporatist politicians, while 'leaders' whine that they can't afford social spending and we need law and order governments! **
Arby

Postby Drake » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:10 pm

We're not losing the file sharing war but file sharers haven't adopted the latest innovations and many have migrated to various streaming programs such as Kodi.

notbob, as long as "the man" continues his usual behaviour, there will be tirades against him. :)
Drake

Postby craftycorner » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:02 am

When you count files going from one computer to another, you will note that the numbers are exploding, not declining.

Crafty
craftycorner

Postby multivariable » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:32 am

craftycorner wrote:
Arby wrote:No, I'm not one of those who downloads zillions of albums and then brags about it on sites like this in order to frighten off newbies who are not real pirates (like tax evading corporations like MPAA and RIAA no doubt).

We aren't loosing the File-sharing war, you just got yourself a crap client. In my experience, the simpler the client, the smoother it runs. Utorrent is like an obese hippo. For me Transmission is nice and smooth, has the features I need but not the bling I don't. Try entering a search for best torrent client + operating system. You will get a list of clients with pros & cons of each.

you need utorrent 2.2.1 (build 25302).

it was the last version in the 2.2.1 series of uTorrent, before the Man fucked it. It's stable, all the private torrent trackers support it, and it just works.

newer is not necessarily better.

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/utorr ... uild-25302
multivariable

Postby girlonbits » Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:18 pm

um, okay. I have not "downloaded" in 4+ years. I prefer to Netflix and Amazon. But more power to ya.
girlonbits

Postby hariandro » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:26 am

Fighting the War on File Sharing aims at a multi-faceted understanding of why peer-to-peer services currently fail to gain their full potential in our society. The analysis focuses on music-file sharing. Three parts of the book ('The Morality of Regulation by Architecture', 'The Economics of Peer-to-Peer in Music' and 'Intellectual Property Rights for Music File Sharing') investigate the positions and opinions that individual disciplines can offer. As these analyses yield partial solutions, the final part of the book provides an institutional framework and applies it to produce new and crisp results on a tough, otherwise almost comprehensively researched subject. The framework recognizes the influence of outstanding work from law and information technology (Lessig), political anthropology (Douglas, Geertz, Smits), new institutional economics (Coase, North, Greif) and jurisprudence (Fuller, Bobbitt, Tamanaha). Its application allows a glimpse of veritable multidisciplinary co-operation concerning the perplexities of regulating the regularities in our social behaviour.
hariandro

Postby bigboxes » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:21 pm

multivariable wrote:
craftycorner wrote:We aren't loosing the File-sharing war, you just got yourself a crap client. In my experience, the simpler the client, the smoother it runs. Utorrent is like an obese hippo. For me Transmission is nice and smooth, has the features I need but not the bling I don't. Try entering a search for best torrent client + operating system. You will get a list of clients with pros & cons of each.

you need utorrent 2.2.1 (build 25302).

it was the last version in the 2.2.1 series of uTorrent, before the Man fucked it. It's stable, all the private torrent trackers support it, and it just works.

newer is not necessarily better.

http://www.oldversion.com/windows/utorr ... uild-25302

I'm using uTorrent 3.1.3. It's the last version before they introduced ads. Rolled back to 3.1.3 and found some skin that made it look like the classic version.
bigboxes

Postby crazyhorse » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:03 pm

The next thing I see for file-sharing is directly monetizing it with cryptocurrencies and virtual currencies. It's just a necessary evolutionary step: the forces against free sharing are well-funded and the only way to fight back is to self-monetize.

For the cryptocurrency approach think about ipfs.io. They are creating their own cryptocurrency called Filecoin. You "mine" Filecoins by contributing your harddrive space to the network.

By virtual currency I mean something like MMORPG currencies in that they're centrally controlled and stored in a conventional database as opposed to a blockchain. But MMORPGs are just one example.

There's a certain tube site that awards "credits" to users for uploading new videos. Users can freely give their credits to each other like a kind of in-site currency by tipping other users. A model like that could be abstracted and applied to ANY type of file-sharing. Plug-ins exist to allow any webmaster to do that.

All the tools we need for this type of model already exists. They need to be brought together in the right way and with the proper social catalyst.
crazyhorse

Postby craftycorner » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:08 pm

Crazyhorse~

Yes, the anti-filesharing crowd is well funded, but they are grossly outnumbered. The pro-filesharing crowd has a great many minds that are very adept at software creation.

Crafty
craftycorner

Postby crazyhorse » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:30 pm

craftycorner wrote:Crazyhorse~

Yes, the anti-filesharing crowd is well funded, but they are grossly outnumbered. The pro-filesharing crowd has a great many minds that are very adept at software creation.

I know, but the software already exists. The challenge now is bringing it all together in a way that would appeal to people. I'm thinking about software tools like https://www.drupal.org/project/mutual_credit or http://www.time-bank.info/ being used by a file-sharing community.

I want to tap into that same playful motivation that drives people to spend hours earning virtual gold in online games and apply that same motivation to file-sharing. I know it's possible but it needs to be done in a way that doesn't seem ad-hoc and forced.
crazyhorse

Postby crazyhorse » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:11 am

craftycorner wrote:Crazyhorse~

True, but I believe all the software we need already exists. They're just puzzle pieces that need to be put together in the right way. Well if there's one piece of software that should exist it's stenography software. That could boost the capacity of file-hosting sites and give more privacy to what's being shared.
crazyhorse

Return to General File-Sharing Discussion