Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

After Demonoid

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Re: After Demonoid

Postby Lee1001 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:11 am

just came across this from
http://www.isitdownrightnow.com/demonoid.me.html

RIP.Demonoid.me is DOWN FOREVER.
Lee1001

Postby loninappleton » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:15 am

The rebuilding process continues and for me the archive of rare media should be the goal: to keep it going now that that is possible.

One piece I've found is a documentary on Pulp Fiction Art about the illustrators of of pulp magazines. That art was considered "disposable" and after being burned as trash and in other ways simply discarded, only 10 percent of the original paintings remain. The featured collector likens this to the burning of the library at Alexandria because only that small fraction remains as the record of that era of the popular imagination.

I am now using the the new cloud- based TPB. I might have done this long ago but there was something about login and and upload that made it difficult for me. There is a small torrent file direct from TPB that has a series of direct links to login and eliminates error trapping which caused frustration. That is called:

The Complete Guide to uploading on Piratebay

1. Go to http://thepiratebay.org/register to register on piratebay.

2. You will recieve a confirmation e-mail. Confirm it.

3. Then go to http://thepiratebay.org/login and login yourself.

4. Create the required torrent using anyone of the torrent clients like utorrent.

5. Start seeding it.

6. Then go to http://thepiratebay.org/upload and upload the torrent file.

7. Thats it you are done.

8. Have fun!!!

Using the direct links here has proved more effective for me. Best of all, there are no hoops to jump through.
Even though TPB now uses magnet links exclusively, that is transparent to the new user. You browse to your usual torrent and upload in the usual manner.
loninappleton

Postby Lee1001 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:38 am

I joined TPB just after they started but stopped using it soon after,when Demonoid went down in 2007 I joined Kat and Torrentzap,now I'm using Kat again but not Torrentzap,private sites I still use and like KG,they've got really rare things.The other one I miss is Mininova,combined with Demonoid,that's all that was needed.
Lee1001

Postby loninappleton » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:19 pm

Mininova is still going but has exclusively open source or unencumbered media. I'm all for rare stuff and keeping it going but after reading Torrent Freak for awhile I've agreed with the argument that private trackers limit and defeat the purpose of why the torrent community exists. Lately I haven't actually downloaded much of anything but have concentrated on getting my torrent farm going for a large audience. And it's true I don't necessarily have "arty" stuff all the time. Like the mention of Pulp Fiction Art I have reasons for torrenting some things which are out of the public consciousness altogether.

Most so-called cinephiles ( a new term I've seen in Film Comment mag) have a pretty narrow view of acceptable content, I try not to rely on the art world exclusively. For these reasons and the fact of the whole invite process, I'll avoid private trackers and indexes.
loninappleton

Postby Lee1001 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:33 am

It's alive,that is the trackers!!
Lee1001

Postby tmc » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:20 am

Yeah, there is a growing need for user forums... try suprbay.com
I don't think they exclusively align with any specific torrent site (such as TPB), and there are forums for requesting, posting links and promoting active torrents, android apps and much more. For some this can possibly become the missing link in their torrenting experience. Some good people on there too (who actually fill requests for obscure stuff, quite refreshing). Enjoy.. post others if you have them..

I've always enjoyed the hunt for obscure stuff I'm interested in.. so with or without, I make do..
Take care.. I hope torrenting doesn't get a crushing blow due to 6 strikes for everyone.. otherwise, why pay for extra broadband speeds above the minimum?!? It's like killing the golden goose and having sex with it at the same time.
:lookup:
tmc

Postby loninappleton » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:05 am

What is fatiguing after Demonoid is the constant lookup serially at indexes which have few categoires and having go through the same information sequentially each time. And it's always multiple torrents of something like Ice Age 4 and other popular titles of the moment. Then if you start from the back end, you see that the index may only have been in existence for a couple years or less.

Perhaps the cloud approach by TPB (which is also the oldest archive) will provide some longevity. But searching it is still pretty random. Perhaps a language should be agreed upon in a hierarchical manner like Usenet newsgroups in the manner of
rec.cars.chevy.camaro.collector indicates five hierarchical levels of search.

I have seen a bit of this such as a title preceded by the phrase [classic sci-fi] but then you get into problems with the ASCII set and what characters can be used.

In another example, no differentiation is made between drama and theater so my torrent of Taming Of The Shrew by Bard Productions from a west coast television production is lumped in with Monsters Ball (also good) without any ability to discern one from the other in a search term.
loninappleton

Postby Lee1001 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:24 am

Did you see that it's trackers are working again,ie the sites about to return.
Lee1001

Postby loninappleton » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:17 pm

Lee1001 wrote:Did you see that it's trackers are working again,ie the sites about to return.

hmmm. I will take a peek.
loninappleton

Previous

Return to BitTorrent