Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

After Demonoid

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Re: After Demonoid

Postby Lee1001 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:20 am

you could try btscene
Lee1001

Postby loninappleton » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:15 am

Just any book?

There are specific places to find ebooks on politics for instance.

A tool I have come to rely on was recommended by Slyck. That is called Bit Che (Spanish for Bittorrent Friend according the developer.) It's a free program available at convivea.com. It searches multiple torrent sites and can be programmed with scripts. There is a lively forum for Bitche where questions are welcome.

Also any of your torrent ebooks will show the source in one of the tabs in your torrent program.
loninappleton

Postby loninappleton » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:32 pm

I thought I posted a reply on the ebooks and to use Bit Che which was recommended here on Slyck. I don't know what happened to that one.

Still no well indexed replacement for Demon*.

The other wrinkle is that utorrent with it;s huge captive audience has decided to enhance future builds with ads that they are sure everybody will want to see.

I have begun using a replacement client called Tixati. uTorrent did some file enhancing of my torrents because I had named some folders in a duplicate (same name). I tracked down what caused the problem but am manually moving my torrent farm to Tixati-- even though I don't know what the name means.
loninappleton

Postby loninappleton » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:36 pm

Lee 1001

Just following up on Btscene. This looks very helpful. It's catalog seems better organized that KAT.
loninappleton

Postby loninappleton » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:26 pm

loninappleton wrote:Lee 1001

Just following up on Btscene. This looks very helpful. It's catalog seems better organized that KAT.

I'm having trouble doing the followup confirming email at btscene. It says send your username to an email address. I did it and no response unless it takes a while for mods to go through it.

It is however a good 'after demonoid" topic
loninappleton

Postby Lee1001 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:32 pm

check your spam box
Lee1001

Postby loninappleton » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:21 pm

Only thing I have ever seen in a spam box is things I've deleted.

The procedure was

address @ gmail

subject line: the word 'username'

body: my username which is the same as on here.

I did this after filling out the reg. form. Where is the error?
loninappleton

Postby MrFredPFL » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:46 pm

loninappleton wrote:I thought I posted a reply on the ebooks and to use Bit Che which was recommended here on Slyck. I don't know what happened to that one.

i'm confused here. don't you see it? it's the post immediately preceding the one i quoted above. :?

loninappleton wrote:Just any book?

There are specific places to find ebooks on politics for instance.

A tool I have come to rely on was recommended by Slyck. That is called Bit Che (Spanish for Bittorrent Friend according the developer.) It's a free program available at convivea.com. It searches multiple torrent sites and can be programmed with scripts. There is a lively forum for Bitche where questions are welcome.

Also any of your torrent ebooks will show the source in one of the tabs in your torrent program.

viewtopic.php?p=591115#p591115
MrFredPFL

Postby loninappleton » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:08 pm

Re: duplicate post. I was looking at an old link. The item popped up in its proper place after I made the new message
loninappleton

Postby loninappleton » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:13 pm

Just fooling around at btscene I located this for ebooks:

http://www.btscene.eu/blog/category/ebooks/
loninappleton

Postby MrFredPFL » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:04 pm

loninappleton wrote:Re: duplicate post. I was looking at an old link. The item popped up in its proper place after I made the new message

whew. u had me worried there :)
MrFredPFL

Postby loninappleton » Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:24 pm

Well I hope Lee comes back in here because I'm stumped for trying to do the gmail trick at btscene. How hard can it be?
There's no "contact us" address on it.

What they want after you register (did that) is to send a mail to a gmail site and use your login name. There's a finite number of places where a login name can go: Subject Line, message body. I tried both.
loninappleton

Postby Lee1001 » Tue Sep 18, 2012 12:32 am

btscene.com@gmail.com

another thing I think your already signed in,when you send the application it auto signed you in.
Lee1001

Postby loninappleton » Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:37 am

Lee1001 wrote:btscene.com@gmail.com

another thing I think your already signed in,when you send the application it auto signed you in.

They sent me a reply. But it's like being in a circular firing squad-- everything pointing at everything else. Will try tomorrow.
The loop starts when they send a new password. I think I have another new one in a new mail. It makes me dizzy with all this. Then Firefox asks to remember the password which introduces another problem. I remember at Mozilla where I got the "that user is already logged in" no matter what I did. It never got resolved. I just don't use Mozilla forum.
loninappleton

Postby loninappleton » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:56 am

Continuing with after Demonoid adventures, I still do not know of *the* major index to get good distribution of my torrents-- in other words the location where torrent community is swarming. It seems very fragmented.

I have looked at the site called Torrent Invites and became familiar with what they wanted. But it seems like they want too much and there is one particular aggravation: trying to read badly organized black screens with dark blue text. What are they thinking? It all smacks of what I have come to view as the "treehouse" mentality of certain websites and operating systems (Linux.)

At the same time, since utorrent is going to be taking adverts now, I have taken the recommendation at Torrent Freak to move to Tixati which is a client program I had never heard of.
loninappleton

Postby sunnyd » Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:21 pm

There is an opt out for ads on Utorrent (they changed their minds), you can see the updated article/s and related comments in this thread on Slyck.

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=58913

Personally, I would not endorse Tixati, or support that client at all. To find my reasoning, you would have to research here on Slyck "do a search under that name" to find all related information/comments. Be advised, it's not as much to do with the client itself, as it is the person behind the client development.
Follow Slyck on Twitter @SlyckDotCom
Join Slyck's Facebook Fan Page
sunnyd

Postby loninappleton » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:08 pm

Thanks for the heads up on Tixati. I have not taken down utorrent 3.1.3 completely. I settled on 3.1.3 as a fall back being most recent without heading on to 3.2.

I will do the search but could you point to a specific thread?

Also why would anyone opt-*In* to annoying adverts?

But I hope others respond to the client issue After Demonoid addressed as well.
loninappleton

Postby Lee1001 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:14 pm

Just stick to Utorrent 2.2.1,and I've kinda started using 1337x as place to upload again,friendly place and growing
Lee1001

Postby loninappleton » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:12 pm

Ok, well-noted.

Thanks Lee1001

The Tixati thing seemed related to something called WinMx which I don't recall ever having used much. WinMX goes back to the days when I used BitComet-- the very early days for me who never was involved with Napster etc at all.

I'll see what is going on at 1337x.
loninappleton

Postby loninappleton » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:58 pm

Followup.

I didn't care for all the snooping on 1337x.

They don't need to know my birthday, nor the fact that I'm a man 64 years of age: All required info for 1337x. They don't need to know it unless they have some marketing scheme cooking. I'll keep looking elsewhere. They'll miss out too because I have some good stuff piling up.

Tixati is behaving and that's all I really need plus this client is in active devlopment with a responsive though small user base.
loninappleton

Postby Lee1001 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:54 am

Demonoid.eu is now down as well,there was an offer to buy the name ect,they may have been bought by Demonoid.me let's hope so
Lee1001

Postby loninappleton » Thu Oct 04, 2012 12:35 pm

Lee1001 wrote:Demonoid.eu is now down as well,there was an offer to buy the name ect,they may have been bought by Demonoid.me let's hope so

I hope they kept my stats. But not all the ad gibberish.

There ought to be some balance between private/subscription and too much advertising. Example: on one site I visit daily they now offer a membership for $10.00 / year. I took it because the info is valuable to me daily. A good torrent site would be the same: worth a $10 spot a year, but not monthly or anything like Usenet memberships.
loninappleton

Postby loninappleton » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:20 pm

I was fooling around with btscene again. Since there is no forum or contact page I am expressing my frustration here.

I had a torrent going for some time using Tixati. I figured it would be a good one for a more select crowd such as
btscene. I go through the upload capcha, find my torrent file in the Tix directory and do the description including my personalized notes.

Btscene said 'no valid tracker" repeatedly and when looking at their valid trackers list, the first one on theirs is the first one on mine listed in the torrent.

I tried this because the upload to KAT had played out and was looking for some fresh leeches.

Elsewhere something really strange happened. I go through their drill and there is a reply to mail thing that is done twice. I do that acknowledging the procedure with a mail sent back. Result: nothing. No acknowledgment of anything. Who puts up with this? At least where my torrents are uploaded now, they are not playing all these treehouse games.

And so After Demonoid continues.
loninappleton

Postby loninappleton » Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:05 pm

Call it word of mouth or a "hint" if you like, I saw a good Bt from a place called Extratorrent and got it. Xt design looks good and it's not fatiguing like, for instance, h33t which has Halloween colors of black and orange. (What are they thinking?) On the basis of that less than common torrent I looked up the search engine info on Extratorrent says that it too was down at one point (Feb) , seems ok now and is moving to another address.

Any updates on that would be helpful since Xt seems to have good distribution.

How can so many torrent indexes all claim to be the biggest and I have barely heard of them?

(Megaupload is an example of something I never heard of until it was gone)
loninappleton

Postby loninappleton » Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:38 pm

loninappleton wrote:Continuing with after Demonoid adventures, I still do not know of *the* major index to get good distribution of my torrents-- in other words the location where torrent community is swarming. It seems very fragmented.

I have looked at the site called Torrent Invites and became familiar with what they wanted. But it seems like they want too much and there is one particular aggravation: trying to read badly organized black screens with dark blue text. What are they thinking? It all smacks of what I have come to view as the "treehouse" mentality of certain websites and operating systems (Linux.)

At the same time, since utorrent is going to be taking adverts now, I have taken the recommendation at Torrent Freak to move to Tixati which is a client program I had never heard of.

More after Demonoid adventures. I am on here hoping to see some new advice and convey a bit of news. Torrent Freak is reporting a new feature in Vuze which incorporates DHT associations so you can find more stuff. The discussion is worthwhile because it gets into public vs. private trackers for one thing both philosophically and practically.

It is located here and it gives (for me at least) at good clue as to what is really going on in the behaviour tracking world of file sharing:

http://torrentfreak.com/use-dht-for-a-y ... ey-121027/

There's a lot of the (I guess) inevitable fanboy discussion of torrent clients. for now I'm happy with Tixati but I've come back in here to see any new replies for user tested public indexes. The reason for this is one I've tried to adopt ExtraTorrent is refusing uploads with an invalid url in torrent file error. I've done everything to get around this: remaide the torrent in another program (utorrent) importing it back in and still do not know what variable might have changed.

After the Torrent Freak discussion I'm wondering if the ISP has introduced something new for their own protection I know nothing about. Again too many variables to juggle.

Is there any new top down list of indexes? I've seen the old ones and google is not my friend for this search. I'd expect KAT to have replaced Demonoid but here again what is a public versus private tracker anyway?

If Demonoid is a private index and has been shut down, why are not all the users on the hot seat?

Both KAT and ET have given me problems. What is another non- private, non-treehouse oriented (read ' be one of our exclusive privileged users after you complete doing "this" or "that" requirement')?

Well that's enough for this diary of After Demonoid. There still is not a good shore to land on and I remain at sea.
loninappleton

PreviousNext

Return to BitTorrent