Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

US: Are torrents coming to an end?

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

US: Are torrents coming to an end?

Postby rocky12 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:07 pm

I don't know if I'm asking in the right place?

I am pretty sure that torrents are coming to an end here in US since some are in trouble, or got shut down? So, what are the torrent users are really using in the US as a torrent replacement?

Would someone please share what others are using? Or if not in public then would someone PM me and tell me?

I appreciate it,
rocky12

Re: US: Are torrents coming to an end?

Postby HouseCrowd » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:16 am

For every torrent site that gets shut down it seems to me another 2 pop up to replace it ... so I don't think BitTorrent is going away any time soon.

But as an alternative, there's always Newsgroups/Usenet ...
There are 10 types of people in the World; those who understand binary, and those who do not.
HouseCrowd

Postby rocky12 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:31 am

Would there be free Newsgroups/Usenet? I have tried both in the past which means downloading the headers, and also tried downloading NZBs. Honestly, I found both methods difficult for me to understand. For example, on binsearch.info, there these files or whatever that I don't want to check off, and when I finally find the ones to check off to create the NZB, and to load in the client is another problem. In GrabIt I get articles not found.
rocky12

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:42 am

you need more than headers or NZBs, you need access to a usenet server, either paid or free. yes, there is free usenet, but by all accounts i've ever seen, it's more trouble than it's worth. horrible speeds + terrible "completion" (the number of articles which are actually there, as opposed to missing). the speed issue is by far the lesser problem - people who want everything for free should have some patience. but no amount of patience will fix it when a file is not on the server. if ever "you get what you paid for" were true, it seems that it is in the case of usenet.
MrFredPFL

Postby rocky12 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:06 am

Thank you!

Yes, my ISP does offer Usenet, and they offer 10 gigs/month. I use my email and password to get Usenet, and that part works. However, my modem does not support SSL encryption on either ports 443, or 563. I don't have a credit card to buy SSL+VPN encryption, or a VPN with dedicated IP with port forwarding enabled, so I'm left with free. That would piss someone off when logs in every second with a dedicated IP that can't be tracked/traced. I would personally think it's funny is some of way. Lol.

Anyway, Fred, what are good alternatives to torrents in the US since Usenet isn't so good.
rocky12

Postby rocky12 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 5:44 pm

Fred,

Are you able to share with me on what you recommend that's replacing torrents? Yes, I am using, Utatane, but I would like to have something as well, but I'll keep using Utatane. Maybe in another category that is larger, and heavy in the music world, mainly lossless music, so I have more choices?
rocky12

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:15 pm

i wouldn't say anything is replacing torrents, at least not anytime soon. it's far too entrenched to disappear in the forseeable future.

did you try soulseek in addition to opennap (utatane) ?

the best selection out there is probably going to be on usenet. sorry, i know that's not the answer you were looking for :?
MrFredPFL

Postby rocky12 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:29 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:i wouldn't say anything is replacing torrents, at least not anytime soon. it's far too entrenched to disappear in the forseeable future.

did you try soulseek in addition to opennap (utatane) ?

the best selection out there is probably going to be on usenet. sorry, i know that's not the answer you were looking for :?

I have usenet access so that's not the problem. I have usenet through my ISP. The problem is its very difficult. It's like 100% of the time on binsearch.info by doing a search, and in yellow, "The posts below were posted a long time ago. Use a Premium Usenet Service". What? How am I suppose to download. There was not basically one time where I could download.
rocky12

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:36 pm

i understand. as i said earlier, free usenet servers are notorious for poor completion. to make things worse, i've read a couple of things about your ISP's usenet servers - first, they seem to have gone badly downhill a few years ago, and secondly, they also removed a LOT of the more popular newsgroups.

hate to say it, but there's a lot of worth to what binsearch said. when i said the best selection was on usenet, i didn't mean a free usenet server ;)

if there are any free usenet servers out there that don't suck bigtime, they probably soon WOULD, as they'd get buried by the demand.
MrFredPFL

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:39 pm

i should point out that you are noticing yet another significant thing about usenet - it''s called retention, which is the length of time a post stays on the servers before it is removed for space reasons. premium servers pride themselves on long retention. free servers, not so much.
MrFredPFL

Postby rocky12 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 6:48 pm

You must read about me on FST when are in a way making of me? I can't help it I have a low IQ.

What about FTP sites? Are they any good? Or how do I use cyberlockers to download from? I am a member of Warez forums.
rocky12

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:41 pm

no, i haven't read about u anywhere. as a forum admin here, i can see your IP address. i simply searched for "<your ISP> usenet completion" and then read a few of the results to get a picture of what was happening. your problems are shared by many others using those servers (assuming that is the same ISP as what u use to post here).

i can't comment on FTP or file locker sites, i don't use either.
MrFredPFL

Postby rocky12 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:54 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:no, i haven't read about u anywhere. as a forum admin here, i can see your IP address. i simply searched for "<your ISP> usenet completion" and then read a few of the results to get a picture of what was happening. your problems are shared by many others using those servers (assuming that is the same ISP as what u use to post here).

i can't comment on FTP or file locker sites, i don't use either.

You pulled up my iPhone, and not my ISP. You pulled up my cell company. Anyway, I have PTD for ISP.
rocky12

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:22 pm

ok, in which case, i can only assume others share this problem too. there are a lot more comments about your phone ISP's usenet servers out there than there are about PTD - i see no commentary on them at all.

but i think it's VERY safe to assume that your problem with usenet is that PTD's retention is low.
MrFredPFL

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:32 pm

yes, it's very low. they say, depending on the group, that their retention is between 30 and 60 days. by comparison, the major premium (pay) services are around 1400 days. that's one to two months, as compared to nearly 4 years. that definitely explains why u can't ever find articles - they're long gone from their servers already.
MrFredPFL

Postby rocky12 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:53 pm

Could u list the clients/networks that u use? Also, are u in the US?
rocky12

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:13 pm

i use a premium usenet service.
MrFredPFL

Postby rocky12 » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:24 pm

I don't think torrents are safe these days? I'm also paranoid to receive any such letters and receive warnings.
rocky12

Postby wrench » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:58 pm

It's just a thought but....Why not just get a premium usenet account ? If you wait for signup specials it only runs around 7 bucks a month with unlimited downloads and 1000 plus days of retention. Even with no special signups the cost is only around 10 bucks a month...See here: http://www.newsgroupservers.net
Also have you used tried using any DDL search engines ? You can usually find what you want (for free)there, however, If you do not have a premium account the speeds are pretty slow but not unbearably so. Also the retention and completion are not an issue and it is pretty simple to use.
Just do a google search for Direct Download search engines. Some examples include: http://www.FilesTube.com - http://www.Filecrop.com - http://www.FileTram.com - http://www.RapidOK.com ....the list goes on and on....
Still...if it was my call, i'd just spend the 10 bucks a month and get usenet. Usenet is an amazing resource.
wrench

Postby rocky12 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:11 am

I said this many of times already including on other forums as well. Premium is not an option for me. I can't get paid online. It's not an option. If we want by all means we can discuss free options.

So, what's the best free usenet service that doesn't have a low rentention? I do understand that my ISP is very low, so are there any better free options out there?
rocky12

Postby Lee1001 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:28 am

Here's one that's free till 500mb,and there's a link to free nzbindex
Lee1001

Postby rocky12 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:35 am

Lee,

How could I use nzbindex when my ISP has a very low rentention?
rocky12

Postby MrFredPFL » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:45 am

Lee1001 wrote:Here's one that's free till 500mb,and there's a link to free nzbindex

i think u might have left something out of your post ;)

rocky - you can use any NZB site, regardless of your ISP's retention (or whatever other source you use). when your provider has low retention, you simply need to look for NZBs for recent posts. everything on usenet is new at some point - the trick for you is finding an NZB in the narrow window your provider makes you work with.
MrFredPFL

Postby rocky12 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:51 am

That's not really going to happen with the narrow window. What usenet service would be best for my needs that either offers a rentention of unlimited, or above a 1000 days? Or there are none that's free?
rocky12

Postby rocky12 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 12:19 pm

I'm guessing on here that people are saying there are no free usenet service with a good rentention? I really haven't heard anyone with that answer?
rocky12

Next

Return to BitTorrent