Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Looking for client with a certain feature

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Looking for client with a certain feature

Postby andrewshen123 » Thu May 05, 2011 10:22 am

I find myself often downloading batch torrents of videos off BitTorrent, and was wondering if anyone knows of a client with a certain feature. That is, to only download the first x videos in a list, prioritizing them in numerical order, and switching when one finishes. So it could automatically go from:
  1. High
  2. Medium
  3. Low
  4. Don't Download
  5. Don't Download
  6. ...
to
  1. Don't download
  2. High
  3. Medium
  4. Low
  5. Don't Download
  6. ...
when the first video finishes, to
  1. Don't Download
  2. Don't download
  3. High
  4. Medium
  5. Low
  6. ...
when the next video finishes, and so on. I know uTorrent has a "prioritize by file order" function, but it ends up making the first third of the videos high priority, the next third medium, and the last third low, so the first video to finish is often not the first video in the list.
andrewshen123

Re: Looking for client with a certain feature

Postby SleepyOne » Thu May 05, 2011 12:29 pm

So you essentially want a client that literally slows down a file and/or prevents a file from completing unless its the one with the highest priority. This makes no sense.

You can always set the client to just download one file at a time. But other than that the very purpose of having multiple files download at the same time is to maximize bandwidth and make the total download go faster.
Since torrents vary a lot in speeds, it's only logical that they complete in a non-predetermined order.
SleepyOne

Re: Looking for client with a certain feature

Postby andrewshen123 » Thu May 05, 2011 1:12 pm

Well, I set a limit on the traffic on my client to 200KB/s downstream anyways, so that the other people in the house don't experience massive slowdown on their internet. When I do these priority changes manually, and the torrent has enough seeds/peers, I still manage to reach that 200KB/s cap, from only the files I'm choosing to download. Since I'm going to get max speed even though I'm only choosing a small selection of the files to download at a time, I was just thinking that there might be a way to automate the process of actually switching which files to download.
andrewshen123

Return to BitTorrent