Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

from nowhere... 40 frenchmen leeching my unpopular torrent

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

from nowhere... 40 frenchmen leeching my unpopular torrent

Postby Kitlope » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:51 am

I don't understand this. I have an old post here from about 3 years ago about media sentry on my Michael Jackson upload and after some explaining from Slyck members it made sense as at the time as I didn't know what media sentry was all about. I never really cared since...welll... I'm in Canada!

I have had a FLAC upload for almost the last 2 years of an indie Canadian band named Furnaceface (no plug here guys but their album "Just Buy It" is a hoot, check it out). Never had a lot of downloads with the torrent (245 completions / 1.5 years according to h33t stats) and I had to "babysit' it as a seed for many months - but thats cool its indie and I knew it wouldn't be popular. Until now.

So, the last couple weeks, why are the French interested in Furnaceface? I'm guessing its some french media-sentry like organization with all the identical ip's but why would they bother? I'm in Canada and I'm sure their smart enough, after seeing where my ip originates to realize that.

I have 350 FLAC torrents uploaded that I meticulously make sure are still active. I have rarely seen a media sentry like ordeal happen, especially something from Europe. The U.S. I can understand (but as we know have since abandoned this policy) but why are the french wasting their time on Furnaceface? From a Canadian uploader? And even if they were trying to nail french Downloaders why choose Furnaceface, from Canada, as a hook? Its not like a lot of frenchmen are downloading Furnaceface.

This I don't get.

Last week I kicked & banned about 10 French almost identical ip's from the torrent and thought I had seen the last of them as I never saw them again for a number of days. But the last couple days they have come back and in full vengence as you can see from the screenshot. 3 strikes? From the French?

Please enlighten me.

Kit

edit: not sure why its not showing the entire screenshot but rest assured the country of origin, according to Vuze, is France.

Clicky here for my seeding FLACs!
Kitlope

Re: from nowhere... 40 frenchmen leeching my unpopular torrent

Postby jacq222 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:22 am

inetnum: 91.189.104.0 - 91.189.111.255
netname: FARM04
descr: Trident Mediguard
org: ORG-TA253-RIPE
admin-c: CB1756-RIPE
tech-c: CB1756-RIPE
mnt-by: RIPE-NCC-HM-PI-MNT
mnt-lower: RIPE-NCC-HM-PI-MNT
mnt-by: COGENT-HM-MNT
mnt-routes: COGENT-ROUTE-MNT
mnt-domains: COGENT-HM-MNT
source: RIPE # Filtered
organisation: ORG-TA253-RIPE
org-name: TMG
org-type: OTHER
address: Trident Mediaguard
13 rue de la Loire
44230 St Sebastien sur Loire
FR
phone: +33 2 40 12 00 97
e-mail: casalta@mediaguard.info
admin-c: CB1756-RIPE
tech-c: CB1756-RIPE
mnt-ref: COGENT-HM-MNT
source: RIPE # Filtered

person: Casalta Bastien
address: Trident Mediguard
13 rue de la Tour d'Auvergne
44200 Nantes
FR
phone: +33 2 40 12 00 97
fax-no: +33 2 40 35 36 79
e-mail: casalta@mediaguard.info
nic-hdl: CB1756-RIPE
source: RIPE # Filtere

-- give him a call or an email-you have the info above--ask him why--this is probably what they want
to confirm you are a real person uploading-
someone is playing a game to someone,this mediaguard is not involved in internet control
but is like a thomson equivalent--arm research--so dont dns back at them

real reason -my guess-could be a proxy that went haywire and end up to this adress or someone there
using their internal lan to download music--

but this guy is well know for the mediaguard internet www.lesgarsdelaroyal.com/index.php/2010 ... vant-toute

it is in french only-it says that this guy is in charge of tracking 10000 songs from p2p and trace the origins
so it is not done at random-you were selected by them because of a real complaint from either the band
or the album owners.and then there is the countermeasure by p2p..

conclusion-if this was from 3strikes types-you could not trace them back so easily-the info found above
was too easy-but it confirm that the music that you have uploaded is on a list-even if you are in canada
you are not 100% safe these days-a safe measure would be to stop uploading for some times-

hope this help
jacq222

Postby jacq222 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:03 am

--someone is playing a game to someone,this mediaguard is not involved in internet control
but is like a thomson equivalent--arm research--so dont dns back at them --

correction=either mediaguard have access to this lan now,or that router was moved around and the info is not
updated on purpose or not-like a dont step on the grass sign,makes you laugh until you see
the big dog sleeping on the porch.
jacq222

Postby enigmax » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:28 am

TMG is Trident Media Guard, the outfit chosen to do the Hadopi tracking in France and spread fake data on BitTorrent networks....

http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-spam ... es-100126/

They ganged up on you a bit...that's a lot of resources for one torrent
enigmax

Postby Kitlope » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:29 am

OK Thanks for your kind replies' guys. Pretty much what I figured.

but it confirm that the music that you have uploaded is on a list-even if you are in canada
you are not 100% safe these days-a safe measure would be to stop uploading for some times-

Please elaborate on this. What can the french or for that matter the Canadian Gov't / CRIA do to me? As for the french they would have to extradite me to charge me (which isn't going to happen) or in Canada's sake there isn't any copyright law with any bite at this point. Stop uploading? hahah never :)

I hope those pricks didn't corrupt my Furnaceface torrent or I'll have to take it down off the popular public sites and re-up it.
Kitlope

Postby jacq222 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:53 am

elaborate:you mention earlier that you uploaded to h33t your music-the servers are located
in amsterdam in the netherlands and in france also and in italy.this is where your problem started.

a simple solution would be to removed your music from h33t and located it elsewhere instead.

as for extradite to charge you--you have to view the problem differently--
these countries act because of pressure coming from customers on copyright issues otherwise these
surveillance dogs would have never existed--cust might be ria or cria or even u2 bono--they are the
ones asking that you removed the music and not the french or the dutch,for them you are just a pain
that they would be happy to forget about...
jacq222

Postby Kitlope » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:33 am

ahhh I see that makes sense. Well, I'll take my chances and will keep using h33t as my primary tracker. I've had many ups with relatively no problems yet ...

Kit
Kitlope

Return to BitTorrent