Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Why Does uTorrent Add to Route Table?

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Why Does uTorrent Add to Route Table?

Postby James R. Bath » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:36 am

Most of the time it doesn't, but it does here and there. Is it something to be concerned about? A bug? Hole? Common to all torrent apps? My other file sharing apps don't touch the routing table, so it makes me wonder. I'm getting sick of having to review my table and block connections that may be innocent. :thumbdn:
Get shades and bunnies and a faster, smaller, more secure eMule: eMule beba
James R. Bath

Re: Why Does uTorrent Add to Route Table?

Postby zbeast » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:47 am

well, I have to say I have no clue.. but I would guess that "route" is being created by the dht function.

http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=19629
Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.
zbeast

Postby James R. Bath » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:08 am

I did turn up some what looked like source code comments on DHT or peer exchange in searching for an answer, but nothing specific (e.g., BLAH adds to your local route table. It's intentional. Relax, be happy, it's working as it should.). Your link may be related, but it's focus seems to be on avoiding router.utorrent.com and using another. Since I've always had that address blocked, it's not an issue. I'll try running uT as a minimum privilege user and see if that helps.

Note: it's not adding persistent routes, but the routes don't clear upon closing uT.
James R. Bath

Postby IneptVagrant » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:40 am

The netmasks on these extra entrys are 255.255.255.255 correct? which would mean you are using these other ips to send or receive packets to a 3rd party client. The entry itself is commonly known as an "alias", but the specific purpose I don't really know.

Only two reasons I can think you would need to do that is if you were firewalled (is the sign green or yellow or red?) and you wanted to connect to another firewalled client, or dht needs broadcast packets to be sent to other clients.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby James R. Bath » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:26 am

IneptVagrant wrote:The netmasks on these extra entrys are 255.255.255.255 correct?

Correct.
IneptVagrant wrote:dht needs broadcast packets to be sent to other clients.

My firewall blocks anything, even if added to the route table, so apparently DHT is it.

Running uTorrent as a guest didn't have any impact on its ability to add to the route table.
James R. Bath

Return to BitTorrent