Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Corrupt pieces causes Vuze to redownload indefinetly

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Corrupt pieces causes Vuze to redownload indefinetly

Postby stalkingturkey1 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:21 pm

Hi, I recently encountered a problem while downloading a torrent on Vuze 4.2.0.4. I've been using Bittorrent for many years without a hitch and this is the first major problem I have had. It started when I discovered a new tracker at torrents.ru (a russian site) which had the specific files i wanted. I downloaded a few files from the tracker without a problem, however, one of these had a really annoying problem. After the file was seeding for a little while, Vuze displayed a message along the lines of "Piece XXXXXXX has been corrupted, re downloading." And so the completion would go back to 74% or something and it would re download. This was the first time i experienced this so i figured it was just a glitchy download, so i let it go. I don't touch my computer for a few days, and when i return, i notice that the torrent is still downloading. Apparently, the download bar showed that I downloaded over 24GB of data over the past few days for that torrent. The only problem was that the torrent was only 7.9GB. I watch the torrent as it "finishes" downloading, and right when it finishes, it goes right back to 74% again with the same error. Since then, I downloaded 2 other torrents, one of them went very smooth with no issues. However, the second one had almost the exact same symptoms, with the same pieces repeatedly re downloading themselves. This time however, the torrent was from Demonoid's tracker. My question is this: Is this just simply rotten luck, that I landed on two corrupt torrents in a short time span (never seen it before), or could this be an error with the Vuze itself. I'm using Windows XP SP2, 32bit.

EDIT: Also, it might be worth noting that the two torrents that were giving me problems were actually the same file, but on different trackers, different authors and different file types (the first was an ISO file, and the second was an MDF/MDS pair. Specifically, it is DVD 4 of a program, and I looked at the ratings/comments on both trackers, and nobody else reported any problems.

Thank you,
Eugene
stalkingturkey1

Re: Corrupt pieces causes Vuze to redownload indefinetly

Postby Fartingbob » Sat Aug 08, 2009 4:45 pm

Try mounting the iso and running it. It could be just the error correction in vuze playing up (irony!) and the file being fine. With it happening once i would have said the torrent itself is corrupted, but 2 different torrents seems to suggest vuze is the problem (or the tracker, but then if no-one else has reported any problems on there site it seems unlikely).
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby stalkingturkey1 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:53 pm

I mounted and installed the first torrent and boom: Everything works fine, it seems vuze was, in fact, at fault, though I don't know how. I'm going to try a clean install, or maybe switch clients, not sure yet...Strangely enough, the second torrent just completed and is not re downloading anymore...very odd, and like you said, VERY ironic. I think the worst part of it is now my download ratio on the site has gone down the toilet...oh well, Thanks for your help!
stalkingturkey1

Postby IneptVagrant » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:19 am

Vuze must count the file % complete differently than I'm used to. A bad piece should only be 4MB or so at the most.

If vuze's client filtering sucks, then it probably doesn't ban clients who continuously send you bad data, so it would keep accepting/dl the same bad piece from the same bad client repeatedly. 4MB hundreds of times, can add up.

This was something that happened alot several years ago, but ppl starting using ipfilters, and than client designers put in some client filtering to stop the same person from sending you bad data repeatedly.
IneptVagrant

Location: close the world . . . . . . . . . . . . . . txEn eht nepO

Postby n9xph » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:45 pm

I found reference to a change in the ip ban behavior for Vuze on SourceForge but this was from many versions back from the current release.

Change log version 2.4.0.0 Azureus/Vuze:

one of the Changes:
Core | Persistent IP bans now have limited lifetime
n9xph

Return to BitTorrent