Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Banned from TL without reason

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Banned from TL without reason

Postby sinaz » Sun May 10, 2009 7:55 pm

Well about a week ago TL went down for the night and was back up the next day. I tried to log in and and got an error message stating that my account had been disabled. I was quite skeptical as i had always maintained a great ratio (about 4.5) and followed the rules as carefully as i could. So i decide to see what the deal was and i log onto their IRC network to get to the bottom of it. The admins were of no help, all i asked for was a reasoning behind the ban and was given a response stating that i knew what i did and was banned by the owner. Again I asked just for some clarification but none was given and i was then kicked and banned from their IRC network.

This whole ordeal seems quite fishy to me. This happened after a day of downtime leaving me to believe their site was attacked or something of that nature. Could it be possible that someone may have spoofed my IP and tried to attack their site? Could it be there is malware sitting on my computer attempting to disrupt the sites i go to? I'm still sitting here unknowing to why i was banned and would at the very least just get some clarification. I really enjoyed the site and the content that it held, any help would be much appreciated.
sinaz

Re: Banned from TL without reason

Postby Benzima » Sun May 10, 2009 9:41 pm

I had a similar thing happen to me at the forum for Usenet Explorer. Some guy from India apparently did something weird via Yahoo, then logged into the Usenet Explorer forum and spammed or something under my account. I tried to explain to the Usenet Explorer forum owner who was also an active admin there. At first he blew me off and was very insulting. I provided a theory as to what may have happened, provided some documentation to support my theory and assured him I had not done anything wrong. In almost 2 years I hard only posted 2 questions there. He was pretty insulting and blew me off. Then a few days later, other members had a similar thing happen. He never apologized, just said "OK, this has happened to others so maybe you didn't." Never offered to reinstated my account or anything and this was a product I actually paid for, and I rarely pay for software. Luckily Slyck turned me onto SABnznb and UE can drop dead.

If TL treats you badly and won't even engage you in conversation, I'd say bump them. They are not the only guys in town.
Benzima

Postby sinaz » Mon May 11, 2009 3:14 am

Damn that's whack. Its lame that some of them won't even give the time of day to some sincere people but w/e. My problem is actually obtaining invites to other sites at the same caliber if not better than TL. Like i said TL had great content and great speed but i guess its not what it seems
sinaz

Postby MrFredPFL » Mon May 11, 2009 9:28 am

don't be surprised to learn that TL is typical in the way they treat their users. if you think they have an exclusive patent on callous, arbitrary treatment of members, you're in for an enlightening experience.
MrFredPFL

Postby Fartingbob » Mon May 11, 2009 4:19 pm

MrFredPFL wrote:don't be surprised to learn that TL is typical in the way they treat their users. if you think they have an exclusive patent on callous, arbitrary treatment of members, you're in for an enlightening experience.

Agreed. I do not use private trackers because they are all like this from my experience. Treat users like crap, expect everyone to have a high ratio, ban people for no reason or questioning how the site is run. All very common traits of private trackers. The best way is to not say anything, and keep your ratio up to at least 1.5:1 (this can be very hard to do for those with slower connections since most torrents lose popularity after the first day so if you download slowly by the time youve finished theres only a couple of peers and still dozens of seeds).
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby napho » Mon May 11, 2009 4:48 pm

Someone hacked into my account once at TL and reduced my ratio. There were 3 or 4 things downloading with my key. Maybe someone got into your account and did unimaginably bad torrent things. :shock:
napho

Postby enigmax » Mon May 11, 2009 4:58 pm

Although i've got nothing in particular to say about TL or any other specific tracker, I agree there can be problems of this type and they are sadly all too common.

Sinaz seems genuine, but this trait is rare in the huge number of idiots taking the people who run trackers for complete idiots. The high numbers of leeches, cheats, troublemakers and outright liars really grinds down the staff on these sites, so much so that it's easy to see the worst in people, and people like Sinaz get caught up in that.

This is why it's important not just to use the sites for sharing, but also taking the time to get involved in the community. If you have plenty of contacts on a site, they can vouch for you if things go wrong. If you're just another number, you've got no second chance.
enigmax

Postby SwordOfZork » Mon May 11, 2009 5:15 pm

Fartingbob wrote:ban people for no reason or questioning how the site is run.

I got banned from the forum on one tracker for just ASKING why they had an RSS feed to the info page about torrents, instead of the torrents themselves. They PMed me to say that they don't want users to automatically download the torrents with their clients, because they would end up accidentally downloading every torrent in the feed instead of properly using filters, and kill the site's over-all ratio. So nice of them to treat their users like morons, and ban me BEFORE answering my question. :roll:

Oh yeah, and this is the same place that threatened to ban me from the entire tracker because I translated my post for a certain user who didn't speak English well.
SwordOfZork

Postby Zoot Cadillac » Mon May 11, 2009 5:33 pm

enigmax wrote:Although i've got nothing in particular to say about TL or any other specific tracker, I agree there can be problems of this type and they are sadly all too common.

Sinaz seems genuine, but this trait is rare in the huge number of idiots taking the people who run trackers for complete idiots. The high numbers of leeches, cheats, troublemakers and outright liars really grinds down the staff on these sites, so much so that it's easy to see the worst in people, and people like Sinaz get caught up in that.

This is why it's important not just to use the sites for sharing, but also taking the time to get involved in the community. If you have plenty of contacts on a site, they can vouch for you if things go wrong. If you're just another number, you've got no second chance.

I'm staff on a private tracer and involved in a few topsites. What you say is correct.
Every now and again a popular torrent turns up ( star trek, anyone? ) and then hundreds of people come out of the woodwork happy to eat my bandwidth without so much as a thanks ( I'm not really bothered about that ) but when you get users who never get involved in any area of the community and are happy to hit and run on the latest big thing then I have absolutely no problem with removing their download rights. I am courteous enough to explain why and give them the opportunity to fix things.
Banning should be a last resort, saved for misconduct, but removing download rights is a good way to get people in line ( and all I ever expect is fairness ).

The fact remains that on private trackers there are a number of individuals who pay a good deal of money to run seedboxes for the benefit of the community and users have to get used to the idea that these places are not a democracy and you are there at the sufferance of the people running the site and can have any rights revoked at any time and for no reason that you have the right to complain about.

having said all that some places are just not worth the effort due to the bombastic and narcissistic attitudes of staff and I personally choose to avoid them. Complaining about sites and individuals on the internet is of no use whatsoever.
If I were to ban someone ( rare occurrence and reserved for persistent hit and runners and ratio cheaters ) then I always make sure that there remains an avenue of conversation open if there can be some way to resolve things. But I can assure you that if I came to Slyck to see someone bitching about it I'd be less inclined to listen.
Zoot Cadillac

Postby sinaz » Mon May 11, 2009 10:43 pm

I really appreciate the replies from you guys. i didn't realize that these types of instances happen somewhat regularly. I'll definitely take into consideration getting more involved in with the communities of these private sites in the future. I also understand that i may never get my account back, and never expected to when the ban happened. But to give no reason for their action has no justification in my book. I hope any admin or staff of these sites who may treat members like this regularly, reevaluate their service model.
sinaz

Postby Dazzle_2 » Tue May 12, 2009 3:55 am

But I can assure you that if I came to Slyck to see someone bitching about it I'd be less inclined to listen.

Perhaps your not so different from all the others site ops as your portraying then, it was made clear in the original posters post that he has no further method of access to contact the site involved and thus has a valid reason to speak of the matter "outside the circle".

I agree heavily with Enigmax, where possible take the time to make friends and put some time into building up a reputation as a helpful guy (or gal :) ), it is a great way to put something back and takes some of the administrative load off the shoulders of the site operators if you help all you can in the areas that you may be knowledgable about.
Dazzle_2

Return to BitTorrent