Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Best torrent site crawler

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Best torrent site crawler

Postby loninappleton » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:13 pm

I had used BitChe until I started to pick up malware and thought that was the culprit.

Azureus.Vuze which I use has such a feature but I do not care for the interface. It is hard to read and to commercial and too busy.

Is there any other torrent search tool that is recommended here?
loninappleton

Re: Best torrent site crawler

Postby napho » Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:24 pm

Torrentzen is very good.

http://torrentzen.com/
napho

Postby loninappleton » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:18 pm

Thanks for the tip. I see the search cloud but do not know much about how a live search tool works. Can't seem to see any search box.

:-/

The old BitChe did about 80 of 'em.

I would rather use a standalone program than using a plugin for my Firefox.

Torrent Portal isn't on there or Demonoid either.

I don't use iso hunt much and stay pretty close to Mininova. Specialized sites like One Big Torrent are nowhere to be found.
loninappleton

Postby Zoot Cadillac » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:27 pm

I've used BitChe for a very long time and I was quite happy to donate and pay for it within days of first using it.
I still use it almost every day now.
I'm not affiliated with it in any way and am not involved with the small community there ( I posted a few messages a couple of years back ) but I'd not hesitate to suggest it for anyone. ( although paying for the full version is not necessary as the searches within categories are pretty poor and don't find enough ).

I can assure you of this, simply because I use it daily and I'm tight on security, that any malware you pick up is nothing to do with BitChe. There is every chance that you pick up malware from blindly downloading anything listed but this has nothing to do with BitChe as a torrent indexer.
Zoot Cadillac

Postby loninappleton » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:17 pm

Ok. That is good news. I was always happy with it. I have been running cleaners for days but not any of the register kind.

Everything seems to be settling down since then and I have made a fresh backup, so may just reinstall BitChe, let it run for a while and then do another backup.
loninappleton

Postby napho » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:20 pm

I'm checking out the forums, and not everyone trusts Chip implicitly. His old program Diet-K used to connect to his site, and if you put all your private site names/passwords in his program, you have to trust him with your info. :)

"If those sites are no longer working, you can PM me your account login/pw and I'll go through each script and figure out whats wrong..

OR

I can probably get the script working if you post me a connection log..

1. from the Bit Che File menu, select 'Open App Data Folder...'
2. Make a new folder named 'Logs'
3. Open 'settings.ini' and add the line 'debug=3' after '[options]'
4. Then search [the site], and attach the log files here from the '\logs' directory so I can review them

Here is a screenshot showing the new folder (1) and the added line to settings.ini (2):

Thanks for the offer, but I'd rather not share that information.
I stayed up all night learning (a bit of) the scripting language and now have myspleen and hdbits working.
Boxtorrents is proving difficult though. (I started another thread discussing the problem I'm having.)"
napho

Postby Zoot Cadillac » Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:28 pm

Sure.
I don't trust him either.
I use it to trawl the default public trackers and would never consider giving him information relating to the few private trackers I use. Especially as I moderate one of them. That would be ridiculous.

I'm just happy with BitChe, out of the box ( yes I paid the upgrade ) foe finding things easily without having to visit a number of sites but the main reason for my reply was to say that that it won't 'give you' malware in and of itself.

But yeah, don'r be mental and start sharing passwords with strangers, especially for private trackers.
Zoot Cadillac

Return to BitTorrent