Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Banned from Torrentbytes, be careful with their RSS!

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Banned from Torrentbytes, be careful with their RSS!

Postby hansel » Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:53 pm

Hi all,

This is just a heads up to be careful than anything else.

So, I've been a member of TB since 2005 and have always had a good ratio (2.5ish) and never felt the need to do anything dodgy or whatever. Tried to log in just now and I'm getting a message that my IP is banned. Bit weird, I think, but maybe the site is having issues or something.

I logged onto IRC and ended up having the following conversation.

-tbhelp2- Permanent IP Ban.. To find out the reason, state 'IP Banned' along with the IP address and username and wait for a Staff member to respond. (@, &, ~ prefix)
-tbhelp2- .
<sim> IP Banned 60.xxx.xxx.xxx sim
<tokol> IP banned for... cheating. account disabled for same reason, checking for further details.
<sim> cheating?
<tokol> yes.
<tokol> upload speed has been 66.70MB/s
<tokol> that is 533.6mbit/s
<sim> ... the only thing I can think of is I started using the TB IRC for probably the first time ever yesterday (I've been a member for years), and it kept giving me heaps of https security cert erros
<sim> errors*
<sim> until I disabled it
<sim> 66.70MB/s I'm in Australia, we only have 1mb/s uploads here :D
<tokol> that has nothing to do with tracker announces.
<tokol> exactly why you are disabled/IPBanned
<sim> ok, well I'd like get to the bottom of this. What else could cause erroneous readings like this. I've been a member for god knows how long and haven't needed to cheat. It's not like my ratio is crazy or anything. It's something respectable like 2.7
<tokol> your ISP could be intentionally be sending funny announces to the tracker to get you booted.
<sim> Hmm.
<tokol> unlikely, but possible.
<tokol> and even if it was, its your account with your passkey, hence its your responsibility.
<sim> goddammit. Do you know of any tests I can do to see if that's the case? I'm a member of lots of trackers and certainly don't want this to start happening to them all
<tokol> same for any network / client clitches.
<tokol> no, sorry.
<sim> so there's no sort of appeal process or anything? That's it, just banned? Can you tell me when the erroneous results started happening? Was it just a brief period over a day or so, or has it been happening for a while
<sim> seems a bit of a coincidence that I enable the RSS yesterday for the first time, then the next day I'm banned
<tokol> a moment.
<tokol> as to what it comes to direct banning, yes. thats how we handle theese things here.
<tokol> 2009-02-24 03:15 GMT plus minus ~hour.
<tokol> oh..
<sim> Ok, that's the time of the crazy upload?
<tokol> and another 'set' at about 2009-02-24 08:50 GMT
<tokol> thats "just" 29.33MB/s
<sim> 8.50am GMT. Ok, let me work out what time that is here
<tokol> and 2009-02-24 03:15 GMT
<sim> Hmm. Ok, so a few. But all yesterday?
<tokol> appeared so.
<sim> It has to be something to do with enabling the RSS. It took me a fair while to work out what was causing all the security cert errors in Azureus, but they stopped after disabling the feed again. I'm using ScaneRSS in Azureus, which auto polls the feed every 15 mins I believe. Could it be flooding the tracker with requests or something?
<sim> not sure why it'd affect the upload speed stats though :\
<tokol> nope.
<tokol> fetching RSS feed does not announce to tracker.
<sim> ok, well look, you obviously have no reason to believe me, I understand that. Can I ask that if you get any more reports of this in the future from people, and you find a bug, can you re-enable my account?
<tokol> the account will be deleted in 7 days after the disabling.
<sim> aw :(
<sim> It must look a bit strange though, looking at my history. I've been a member for god knows how long, and have always held a respectable ratio with no weird results in the past. Why would I start now?
<tokol> well, that is something i can't start to speculate on.
<tokol> all i know is those announces were received.
<sim> yeah, guess I'm screwed. Well, all I can suggest is that you try and look into it to avoid this happening to anyone else. I can safely say that as far as I'm concerned, there must be a bug in the system somewhere (unless, as you said, my ISP is playing funny buggers for some reason).
<sim> I'll keep an eye on reports from other users from my ISP to see if anything shows up. They are testing a draconion internet filtering scheme over here at the moment, but my ISP isn't part of the trial (or so they say ). Maybe it's all a huge conspiracy :). I'll just have to hope I don't start getting randomly banned from other trackers.
<sim> before I go, could you tell me my initial join date of TB?
<hmhef> Join date 2005-01-19 00:57:44 (214 weeks ago)
*** tbhelp2 is now known as tbhelp
<tokol> I guess thats GMT+2
<hmhef> yup
<sim> Ok, thanks guys. I've left a couple of comments here just in case anyone comes across a similar problem: http://filenetworks.blogspot.com/2009/0 ... -with.html
<sim> I'm actually feeling a bit emotional :) End of an era :) Ok, take it easy.

I can understand why they had to ban me though. If the system is showing crazy uploads like that, then I guess they don't have a choice.

The more I think about it though, the more I'm convinced it's somehow related to using the RSS feed through ScaneRSS in Azureus. I'd recommend you avoid using the TB RSS at all.

Still, would have been nice if they'd taken my history into account a bit, but there you go.

If anyone else has come across anything similar, please let me know.
hansel

Re: Banned from Torrentbytes, be careful with their RSS!

Postby matt89 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:26 am

Yesterday, they banned me to and i think i have the same problem like you. Do you find any solution for that.
matt89

Postby napho » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:07 am

I'm suspecting that hansel and matt89 might just be the same guy. :)
napho

Postby zathrusUK » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:17 am

The same thing happened to me randomly.
zathrusUK

Postby matt89 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:21 am

zathrusUK wrote:The same thing happened to me randomly.

And what did you do?
matt89

Postby CompMacBookDude » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:46 pm

Ok we can stop with the ridiculous multiple accounts whie voicing your opinion of TB and yada yada yada stop using them

You at least sound credible until all of your accounts first posts are in this thread

:nopity:
CompMacBookDude

Postby hansel » Thu May 14, 2009 9:26 pm

Meh. I'd typed up a huge reply about how I don't have dupe accounts etc etc, but then it struck me that I really don't care :) Later :D
hansel

Return to BitTorrent