Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Private Torrent sites tracking you Ratio?

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Private Torrent sites tracking you Ratio?

Postby leopardforest » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:14 pm

I have recently started to download a lot of movies and sometimes they are quick other times it is ridiculously fast. I have been looking at the different private site and what people say about them and how you have to have a good ratio to stay a member.

How do they keep track of your ratio?
leopardforest

Re: Private Torrent sites tracking you Ratio?

Postby Fartingbob » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:20 pm

Private sites use their own tracker and requires a passkey to connect to it. Once its associated your IP with your login name then it simply keeps track of how much (not necessarily what) youve downloaded and uploaded, usually on a per torrent and overall basis.
Fartingbob
P2P Trafficker

Postby leopardforest » Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:40 pm

So i use the program Vuze and i have a ratio of 11:1 on the program, are they going to go off that ratio? Or just once you join you will start a new ratio with the website?
leopardforest

Postby MrFredPFL » Fri Feb 06, 2009 2:08 pm

new ratio. they don't care what you've done (or claim to have done) elsewhere.
MrFredPFL

Postby leopardforest » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:09 pm

ok so now for the obvious qurstion...how do i join a private site?
leopardforest

Postby lordpake » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:29 pm

Few choices: you either wait for one of them to open their registration for a brief moment (some do this as they purge inactive members) or you get someone to invite you to such site.
Send... more... paramedics...
lordpake

Postby MrFredPFL » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:52 pm

and, since private sites have rules, hopefully you've prepared yourself by reading ours, particularly # 10 ;)
MrFredPFL

Postby leopardforest » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:13 pm

well i am guess i am glad that i read the rules and avoided a potential rule violation. thanks for the tip.

it seems that my likelihood for getting to be able to register without an invite is rather slim?
leopardforest

Postby MrFredPFL » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:37 pm

some sites never open up registration. others do, but it's often unpredictable. patience is a virtue. occassionally, this thread has a tip about a site that has open signups. use of IRC can be a help too. some trackers have channels, and sometimes loitering in them can lead to an invite.
MrFredPFL

Postby Downloader » Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:44 am

Some "private sites" Have always open registration.
SwordOfZork wrote:Just because you CAN sue someone, doesn't mean you're not a total douche for doing so.
Downloader

Postby multivariable » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:09 am

This guy has lots of private site invites.

Send him a private message now...
multivariable

Postby Hypnotoad » Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:34 am

I think this link may help.
Hypnotoad

Postby anonomously2 » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:01 am

Bear in mind that the more exclusive Private Trackers now hold the person giving the invite responsible for the person being invited, so inviting someone you are unfamiliar with could get both parties booted/banned from said private site. The likelihood of getting on a good private site is small unless the people with the invites become familiar with you and are willing to take the chance of trusting you. IRC's and Forums are a good way of meeting members of private sites, but it usually takes a little time to earn their trust. :)
anonomously2

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:38 pm

multivariable wrote:This guy has lots of private site invites.

Send him a private message now...

:lol:
Ross Wheeler, CEO of Albury.net.au, referring to the Australian Governments internet filtering plan wrote:"It's the most ill-conceived pile of stupidity by the biggest bunch of cretins that I've ever seen in my life"
piXelatedEmpire

Postby curzlgt » Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:33 am

leopardforest wrote:I have recently started to download a lot of movies and sometimes they are quick other times it is ridiculously fast. I have been looking at the different private site and what people say about them and how you have to have a good ratio to stay a member.

How do they keep track of your ratio?

Question back at you..... What does file sharing mean to you?
“The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long, plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side,” - Hunter S Thompson
curzlgt

Postby DeadlyTrev » Wed Feb 11, 2009 5:38 am

leopardforest wrote:How do they keep track of your ratio?

Always somewhat inaccurately!

Tracking ratio with bittorrent is somewhat problematic. A peer (you/your client software) retrieves a list of other peers and seeds from the tracker and then contacts them directly requesting data. Other peers will end up contacting you in the same manner. Periodically your client software will update it's status on the tracker, and in doing so will report how much data has been uploaded and downloaded. Trackers which attempt to track ratio record these stats.

Malicious client applications can lie to the tracker. Client applications might crash (or be killed) before they report back the stats. Trackers may be offline or unreachable when you shut down your client. Etc, etc. All of which will result in misreported stats. Ratio sites compensate for these possibilities by reconciling stats between peers, analysing deviation of averages over time, pretending to be a peer and querying your client, etc. If your numbers don't make sense then you'll be branded a ratio cheat and banned.

Some sites' software is much better at this than others. Similarly some site operators are much better than others at understanding and tuning this functionality effectively. Many sites run competitions, free download days, allow earning of 'credit', etc to help balance your ratio. You'll find there are several dozen very well run and managed private sites out there, and many many hundreds of poorly run sites.

Good hunting. :howdy:
DeadlyTrev

Postby piXelatedEmpire » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:57 pm

curzlgt wrote:Question back at you..... What does file sharing mean to you?

Are you gona start on us with another 'private sites are the antichrist' rant curz? :P
Ross Wheeler, CEO of Albury.net.au, referring to the Australian Governments internet filtering plan wrote:"It's the most ill-conceived pile of stupidity by the biggest bunch of cretins that I've ever seen in my life"
piXelatedEmpire

Postby MrFredPFL » Thu Feb 12, 2009 12:41 am

private sites are not the anti-christ. zak, the obnoxious kid that comcast used to have in their commercials, is the anti-christ.

private sites are just gay ;) :P
MrFredPFL

Postby wrench » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:54 am

how do i join a private site?

Check Ebay....seriously, People sell invites there all the time.
wrench

Postby enigmax » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:59 am

The harder it is to 'cheat' ratios on certain trackers, the more information they are holding about you. If there was no desire to find cheaters there would be no need to hold much info on you at all.
enigmax

Postby DeadlyTrev » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:09 am

enigmax wrote:The harder it is to 'cheat' ratios on certain trackers, the more information they are holding about you. If there was no desire to find cheaters there would be no need to hold much info on you at all.

Which is exactly why sane and serious pirates wouldn't be caught dead (directly) accessing a private torrent site. They can only effectively track your ratio if they store your last IP address and keep details of your uploads and downloads. IP addresses could be stored as hashes, but I don't see many guarantees like that in any of these site's FAQs.
DeadlyTrev

Postby quartex » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:56 pm

siteops of private sites will share the ip's of cheaters with other siteops from other private sites.
quartex

Return to BitTorrent