Slyck.com

Slyck Chatbox - And More

Torrent clients

Discussion about the BitTorrent Network and the Clients used to access it.
Forum rules
PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING: Slyck Forum Rules

Torrent clients

Postby rsrikanth05 » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:00 am

Anyone know which is THE best torrent client?
I am sick of uTorrent as it has too many issues with my Linksys and Google Desktop.
I really like BitComet, but the problem is lads of Idiots, ban BC from accessing their trackers OR their clients.
I don't want BitTornado as it bans BC, and I want everyone to be able to upload it from me.
I don't want Azureus/Vuze as it hogs up lots of RAM.....

Any suggestions????
rsrikanth05

Re: Torrent clients

Postby enigmax » Mon Dec 29, 2008 7:11 am

You just eliminated all the best torrent clients with your reasons for not using them.

You can try Halite I suppose
enigmax

Postby rsrikanth05 » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:58 am

Whoa...
Thanks a lot mate.
Halite is pretty cool.
Thanks a lot.
P.S: I ONLY eliminated the best one - BitComet...
rsrikanth05

Postby nifty » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:12 am

Hey,
if your only problem with azureus is the fact that it's a ram hog - have you tried running it headless?
See http://azureuswiki.com/index.php/ConsoleUI

Without the gui it uses much less ram. I've been using Azureus because its the only half-decent bt client I've come across where the web interface allows you to change priority of the files WITHIN a torrent (plenty of webinterfaces let you change priority of individual torrents). But remote control is pretty important to me.

If remote control wasn't so important, then I'd say try ktorrent - it's fast and still has a pretty decent web interface (as well as some other ok plugins).
Look at me still talking when there's science to do.
nifty

Postby rsrikanth05 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:18 am

nifty wrote:Hey,
if your only problem with azureus is the fact that it's a ram hog - have you tried running it headless?
See http://azureuswiki.com/index.php/ConsoleUI

Without the gui it uses much less ram. I've been using Azureus because its the only half-decent bt client I've come across where the web interface allows you to change priority of the files WITHIN a torrent (plenty of webinterfaces let you change priority of individual torrents). But remote control is pretty important to me.

If remote control wasn't so important, then I'd say try ktorrent - it's fast and still has a pretty decent web interface (as well as some other ok plugins).

Thanks for the link, I'll have a look into it.
I'm not interestng in web/remote control/interfaces.
rsrikanth05

Postby James R. Bath » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:14 pm

I agree that if you're having problems with uTorrent, it's probably going to turn out to be a bigger problem and you'll probably eventually be "sick" of the rest. In terms of simplicity and avoiding lots of extra memory use and processes, if Opera is already your main browser, you can try its built-in client. Firefox may have some addons that handle bittorrent. A few "BitLord 1.1"s appear in my peer list at the moment.
Get shades and bunnies and a faster, smaller, more secure eMule: eMule beba
James R. Bath

Postby rsrikanth05 » Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:25 pm

James R. Bath wrote:I agree that if you're having problems with uTorrent, it's probably going to turn out to be a bigger problem and you'll probably eventually be "sick" of the rest. In terms of simplicity and avoiding lots of extra memory use and processes, if Opera is already your main browser, you can try its built-in client. Firefox may have some addons that handle bittorrent. A few "BitLord 1.1"s appear in my peer list at the moment.

I use Opera for downloading torrents within the session as resuming torrents can cause problems...
Anyway, I'm happy with Halite now.
rsrikanth05

Return to BitTorrent